Rumors > Speedlites, Printers, Accessories

CF Cards Vs SD Cards

(1/10) > >>

Sabaki:
Hi everybody

I've only ever shot with a 500D and have zero experience with CF cards.

I'm definitely getting a 7Dii but I'm unsure whether to continue with SD cards or if CF cards are the way to go.

I have my eye on a Sandisk 32gig for about $200.

What would you recommend and why?

Thanks guys

pleasehelp:

--- Quote from: Sabaki on September 17, 2014, 02:08:08 AM ---Hi everybody

I've only ever shot with a 500D and have zero experience with CF cards.

I'm definitely getting a 7Dii but I'm unsure whether to continue with SD cards or if CF cards are the way to go.

I have my eye on a Sandisk 32gig for about $200.

What would you recommend and why?

Thanks guys

--- End quote ---

for me it doesn´t matter.
SD cards are fast enough for my needs.

i never had issues with my SD cards (lexar, sandisk).

so if you have SD cards already, use them.
if you want to use two cards in the 7D you have to buy CF cards anyway.

Don Haines:
SD cards are cheaper per GB, more devices can read them, and unless you are running your camera in burst mode, you should have no problem keeping up. If you are firing off more than a picture per second and keep it up for a while, you will fill the camera buffer and a fast compact flash card is faster than a fast SD card and will clear the buffer sooner.... but the difference is not noticeable until you get to the very fastest compact flash cards.... or so conventional wisdom says.....

but if you look at Sandisk and the fastest cards that they sell:
Sandisk extreme pro  HSII 64G SD card - 250MB/s write speed, $230
Sandisk extreme pro UDMA7 64G CF card - 150 MB/s, $200

You end up with an SD card that is both faster and more expensive.... the exact opposite of what people believe to be the truth.

Sabaki:

--- Quote from: Don Haines on September 17, 2014, 07:49:19 AM ---SD cards are cheaper per GB, more devices can read them, and unless you are running your camera in burst mode, you should have no problem keeping up. If you are firing off more than a picture per second and keep it up for a while, you will fill the camera buffer and a fast compact flash card is faster than a fast SD card and will clear the buffer sooner.... but the difference is not noticeable until you get to the very fastest compact flash cards.... or so conventional wisdom says.....

but if you look at Sandisk and the fastest cards that they sell:
Sandisk extreme pro UDMA7 64G CF card - 150 MB/s, $200

You end up with an SD card that is both faster and more expensive.... the exact opposite of what people believe to be the truth.

--- End quote ---

This is very interesting! So perhaps I should shoot with an SD card and if I hit limits with it, try CF.

Don & pleasehelp, much appreciated :)

Pancho:

--- Quote from: Don Haines on September 17, 2014, 07:49:19 AM ---

--- End quote ---

The 7D MkII seems to be only compatible with UHS1 and not UHS2 as the latest Sandisk SD card is. So the Write speed seems limited to 95MB/s and not 250MB/s...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version