Rumors > EOS Bodies

Lenses in 2011 [CR2]

(1/5) > >>

Canon Rumors:
Lots to come

2011 will be the year of the lens, Canon is set to do a big refresh of their lens lineup in 2011. Nikon has done it in 2010.
The first lens I’m still told will be the 24-70 redo, and we already know about the 500 & 600.
The lenses being replaced will be popular flagship type lenses to improve resolution power. The next 1Ds and 5D will be big megapixel cameras (sorry, they’re not done with that yet).
Does that mean no EF-S lenses? The only one I could getting a refresh is the 60 macro. I’d like to see the 17-55 get a build quality upgrade (they break a lot as a rental item).
There was also this interview that mentions a big commitment to the EF mount and new products.
Canon’s Mirrorless Entry

“It’s a 2012 product”
That’s all I was told about that.
The Photographic, Video & Digital Imaging Show

I’ll be heading to Toronto/Mississauga next Friday to attend the Henry’s show. There won’t be anything new there, but I can bother the Canon reps. I’m hoping more of the new lenses will be available to touch.
Happy Thanksgiving Canada!
cr

unfocused:
I hope 100-400 mm zoom qualifies as a "flagship" lens.

kubelik:
unfocused, I'm going to second you on that one.  otherwise, maybe a new 400 f/4 L IS? ... to replace the 400 f/5.6 and partner the 300 f/4 L IS

neuroanatomist:
I doubt that the 400mm f/5.6L qualifies as a 'flagship-type' lens - that would be the 400mm f/2.8L IS that is being updated right now.  I'd love it if they updated the 400/5.6 with IS, but I'm not holding my breath.  The current 400mm f/4 is the DO lens - Canon doesn't seem in a rush to do much more with DO lenses...

The 100-400mm seems like a 'maybe' to me.

The 35mm f/1.4L would probably count as a flagship lens (it's in the 'holy trinity' 35/85/135L), making it likely that the 135 f/2L will also see an update (IS anyone?).

The 16-35/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 IS were updated recently, so the 24-70mm would complete the 'holy trinity' of f/2.8 zooms.  Anyone think they'll start on the f/4 trinity (17-40/4, 24-105/4, 70-200/4 IS)?? 

Here's my guess on 'flagship lens' updates - we'll see a 24-120mm f/4L IS from Canon launched as a kit lens with the 5DIII early in 2011.  After the hue and cry from all the folks wanting a 24-70mm f/2.8 IS, they'll eventually release that one along side a 1DsIV, but not until 2012.

traveller:
Wow, that's a bad translation! It could mean anything by the time Google twists it! Anyone speak Japanese?

On a serious note, it's high time that Canon started to address some of the weak spots in its lens line up.  Canon seem to have been polarised into releasing only low-end consumer zooms and high end 'L' series lenses for the last couple of years.  The EF 50mm f/1.4 needs an upgrade to improve it optically at wide apertures (cf. Nikkor AF-S 50mm) and fix the design flaw that is its delicate AF system; I think that the latter issue puts off many a potential buyer (myself included).  Canon badly needs a normal prime for APS-C users that is competitive with the offerings from the other manufacturers.  And yes, a new 100-400mm would be nice, as well as a replacement 24-70mm f/2.8 L for the professionals (they're now a generation behind Nikon and Sony).  I don't know if they'll bother with an EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 replacement; an EF-S 15-55mm f/2.8 with better build quality would be an obvious development, but the reality is that the price of such a lens would probably put off potential buyers.  Only 7D owners would be prepared to pay >$1500 for this lens and a lot of those have designs on moving to full frame.  The Nikkor equivalent has pro build quality because it was released before Nikon went to full frame. 

Here's hoping for a better 2011, lens wise, than 2010 was.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version