June 23, 2018, 04:52:16 AM

Poll

Did you ever like surreal hdr tonemapping?

Nope, I've got taste ;-p
43 (58.9%)
Yup, but I am cured :-)
19 (26%)
Sure, still do
11 (15.1%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Voting closed: October 30, 2014, 02:17:55 PM

Author Topic: Your *worst* hdr creations ("skeleton in the closet" thread)  (Read 36193 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
Your *worst* hdr creations ("skeleton in the closet" thread)
« on: September 29, 2014, 02:17:55 PM »
Now we know we're all great photogs, well, at least we would be if our cameras would have more resolution and dynamic range :-p. But there is an infamous fix for the latter: bracket the scene, let loose the tonemapping app of your choice and dial everything to 11!

Looking at the neighboring "best hdr shots" thread, I've got the impression that a typical photog evolution seems to include loving surreal hdr shots with histogram inversion (i.e. parts that were darker in the original now is brigher). So here's your chance to show courage and let the world see your very early creations!

Note 1: Please only link/post your own shots and not those of others around CR, even if it is tempting :->

Note 2: No cheating, only real skeletons in your closet, unlike saying "My weaknesses are perfectionism and forgetting to cash in my overtime slips" in a job interview.

canon rumors FORUM

Your *worst* hdr creations ("skeleton in the closet" thread)
« on: September 29, 2014, 02:17:55 PM »

Marsu42

• Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
Re: Your *worst* hdr creations ("skeleton in the closet" thread)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 02:19:03 PM »
bracket the scene, let loose the tonemapping app of your choice and dial everything to 11!

My first entry is also my very first hdr shot, right after buying my shiny new 60d! Seemed like "instant art" to me back then :-p

DominoDude

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 04:19:34 PM »
I experiment to some extent. Will see if I have anything barf-worthy that still exists on my disks...

J.R.

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 04:22:04 PM »
bracket the scene, let loose the tonemapping app of your choice and dial everything to 11!

My first entry is also my very first hdr shot, right after buying my shiny new 60d! Seemed like "instant art" to me back then :-p

Everyone has these art shots hidden in the hard drive somewhere. I'll check tomorrow and post the particularly ghastly ones.  ;D
I took a hiatus from CR for a year and a half. The discussions haven't changed much. Excellent information is still being shared while people bitching about Canon cameras are still bitching and haven't moved on to Sony

tolusina

• Gallery Administrator
  • EOS 5DS R
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 06:22:29 PM »

There are some scenes, mostly junkyards, ruins and such that seem to do well as overcooked HDR subjects, I think you've got such a scene here.
Would you happen to have a larger version of this one to post? Please?
---
Dang! See my avatar? It's part of a local, what I call a modern ruin, construction never completed. The site sat abandoned for 15 years. It had a very stark and surreal beauty, I think a SciFi movie or two got filmed there.
Had juicy financial scandals, swindles and frauds associated with it.
Anyway, I shoulda wish I woulda thought of doing and then done done some overcooked HDR at that site, they've now torn it down, the opportunity is gone forever.

6D, 40, 50 1.8 II, 50 1.8 STM, 24-105L, 90EX, 2X 600EX-RT, 2X Lightsphere, ST-E3-RT, Kenko DG set, GT2531LVL, Ultimate GP, PRO-100, SPYDERPrint, MG3122, PA242W-BK-SV, Intuos Pro, WIN 10 on hardware with intent, AE-1, D-70, D-80, P30T

tcmatthews

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 08:18:21 PM »
Yes but to really take it over the top why not play with wide angle perspective at the same time. 
7D II, 60D, Rebel XS + some Canon lenses, A7II + Sony + some Sony lenses, OMD EM1,OMD EM5 + some m43 lenses, adapters and Fd and M42 lens.  Sold 6D,Nex6,EOS M1

zim

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 08:37:17 PM »
Guilty as charged m'lud

But in my defence it was in a folder named 'practice'  :-[
Really nailed the o'l halo effect, hate hate hate it, I have no idea why I even kept it, maybe just in case a topic came up which I felt competent to participate in  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 08:37:17 PM »

NancyP

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 08:42:07 PM »
What causes the annoying halo?

DominoDude

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 09:43:34 PM »
I think it relates to overdoing the local contrast, if I remember correctly.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 10:10:19 PM »
Funny thread. I have nothing to post though as I strongly try to avoid this look (although it is popular with many and I've even seen it do a lot for some people's sales.)

2n10

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 11:07:54 PM »
This is my only kept one.  I believe it fits as one my earliest attempts IIRC.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II and EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 100 Macro, EF 50 1.4, EF 100-400L Mk II, Tamron 150-600

Marsu42

• Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 01:34:13 AM »

It's caused by the hdr software being dumb and just assembling the source brackets according to exposure with no concern for the image content (how could it?). I find this to be a great problem with a *lot* of tonemapped shots, even with ones that are considered good by their authors.

Esp. with parts of trees or something else tall reaching into the sky, it's a halo and/or the top part of the object going suddenly very dark. The latter probably like our eye sees the world, but it isn't supposed to be in a single image.

zim

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 08:46:05 AM »

It's caused by the hdr software photographer being dumb and just assembling the source brackets according to exposure with no concern for the image content (how could it?). I find this to be a great problem with a *lot* of tonemapped shots, even with ones that are considered good by their authors.

Esp. with parts of trees or something else tall reaching into the sky, it's a halo and/or the top part of the object going suddenly very dark. The latter probably like our eye sees the world, but it isn't supposed to be in a single image.

As I think I ably demonstrated  ;D  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 08:46:05 AM »

DominoDude

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 02:42:31 PM »
I promised to enter something, but I had tossed a lot. Here's one where I just experimented to see what I could get from HDR in a situation that I haven't figured out what to do with - yet.
It's a 40-50 meter long corridor of trees with gnarly branches. Behind that one can see part of a building. Shot is taken with an old tripod that sagged during the three shots and nothing is lined up properly. During a narrow time slot in the afternoons I should be able to get the sun to light up the part of the corridor close to me, and that is what I aim for.

Maximilian

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • The dark side - I've been there
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 03:15:52 AM »
Hi Marsu!

I would have voted "Nope", because I normally don't do HDR and also haven't really tried it out.
I was kept from doing so because of the "I've got taste" and I think that's not fair (although with humor).
I understand that it's fascinating and that a lot of people like this kind of art. And so it's just a different taste.

My approach to digital photography was always the one of the film days with having the convenience of the digital age during pp.

So therefore I cannot share any "skeleton in the closet". But it's fun to look at the pics others share here. Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 01:55:10 AM by Maximilian »
sometimes you have to close your eyes to see properly.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 03:15:52 AM »