July 21, 2018, 04:09:55 AM

Author Topic: 6d for filmmaking?  (Read 24389 times)

bluemoon

• EOS Rebel T7i
Re: 6d for filmmaking?
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2015, 06:13:26 PM »
I've been using the 6D for video for about 2 years now. It is an amazing camera. It's low light capability is exceptional.

But if you're shooting ISO 100-400, it won't be drastically different from the T5i. I'd recommend really really learning and understanding how to use DSLRs for video to be sure you're getting the best image possible from your camera.

I do have to say, the moire/aliasing from the 6D is VERY bad. That's where the 5DIII stomps it. But for most amateurs, it's not a big deal.

The only Canon DSLR that has reliable continuous auto focus is the 70D (Dual Pixel). But the 70D's moire/aliasing is as bad or worse than the 6D. So pick your poison.

To be honest, unless you have myriad of Canon glass already, I'd probably grab a GH4 for video in the same price range. The GH4 is substantially more modern and rich in its video features. The 6D will outperform the GH4 in low light but if you're used to the low light capabilities of the T5i, the GH4 wouldn't be too far different.

You won't be disappointed with the 6D, so don't let me make it seem like a bad camera. Just recommending you consider all options when spending that kind of cash :)

Also, unless there's a very specific reason you need RAW video, I wouldn't recommend pursuing it. First, only a few camera in the sub-$2k price range can shoot RAW (Black Magic for the most part), and second, it's really not a streamlined workflow for beginners.

wait, 7D2 has the newer generation DPAF, is there a problem with it? I've used it on several occasions and thought it did OK. Having never shot the 70D I don't know the difference so I am curious. . .

pierre

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2015, 06:13:26 PM »

andrewflo

• EOS M5
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2015, 06:16:51 PM »
I've been using the 6D for video for about 2 years now. It is an amazing camera. It's low light capability is exceptional.

But if you're shooting ISO 100-400, it won't be drastically different from the T5i. I'd recommend really really learning and understanding how to use DSLRs for video to be sure you're getting the best image possible from your camera.

I do have to say, the moire/aliasing from the 6D is VERY bad. That's where the 5DIII stomps it. But for most amateurs, it's not a big deal.

The only Canon DSLR that has reliable continuous auto focus is the 70D (Dual Pixel). But the 70D's moire/aliasing is as bad or worse than the 6D. So pick your poison.

To be honest, unless you have myriad of Canon glass already, I'd probably grab a GH4 for video in the same price range. The GH4 is substantially more modern and rich in its video features. The 6D will outperform the GH4 in low light but if you're used to the low light capabilities of the T5i, the GH4 wouldn't be too far different.

You won't be disappointed with the 6D, so don't let me make it seem like a bad camera. Just recommending you consider all options when spending that kind of cash :)

Also, unless there's a very specific reason you need RAW video, I wouldn't recommend pursuing it. First, only a few camera in the sub-$2k price range can shoot RAW (Black Magic for the most part), and second, it's really not a streamlined workflow for beginners.

wait, 7D2 has the newer generation DPAF, is there a problem with it? I've used it on several occasions and thought it did OK. Having never shot the 70D I don't know the difference so I am curious. . .

pierre

My mistake! I totally forgot about the 7DII :P

The 7DII also has quite decent video, and a headphone jack, so it seems like a pretty solid contender for DSLR video.

Is the 7DII's DPAF limited to the center of the sensor? Or can it be moved freely like the 70D?
6D | 70-200L II | 16-35 ƒ/4L | 100L | TAMRON 24-70 | SIGMA 15 Fisheye | EOS M3 | EF-M 22 | EF-M 18-55

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2015, 06:16:51 PM »