September 21, 2014, 06:29:37 AM

Author Topic: Advice On 7D Purchase  (Read 8470 times)

friedmud

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Advice On 7D Purchase
« on: December 03, 2011, 04:33:18 PM »
Looking to pick up a 7D.  I've already invested in EF-S lenses and I would use all of the advanced features of the 7D (ie, it really _is_ what I want... not a 5D II/III or even a 60D or T3i).

My _only_ reservation is timing.  The 7D has been out for over 2 years now and I would be seriously bummed to put down $1500 now only to have a 7DII come out in January or February.

I haven't traditionally paid attention to Canon's release schedule... so I'm hoping that someone around here can give me some indication of the probability of being extremely disappointed in a month or two ;-)

Yes, yes, I know.  Get what you need now and use it until it fails to meet your needs any longer and all that... just trying to be a little smart here...

Thanks!

canon rumors FORUM

Advice On 7D Purchase
« on: December 03, 2011, 04:33:18 PM »

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
Re: Advice On 7D Purchase
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 04:50:05 PM »
I am not really an authority here, however the 7D, being a new line of cameras, hasn't really established a replacement schedule. On top of that, the 7D is still a superb camera, and probably will be for some time to come, so I personally don't see a replacement coming for some time.

I think its at the limit of lens resolving power with 18mp, so there likely wouldn't be an increase in resolution. You might be able to improve ISO performance, but I doubt that alone would really be grounds for an upgrade. Canon, along with many of the other manufacturers, has been hit fairly hard with the recent chain of east pacific disasters. That has hurt their manufacturing capacity. Additionally, Canon is currently gearing up 1DX manufacturing, is apparently working on the 5D III, and is also cranking out new lenses. Thats nothing to speak of their new C-line of cinematic cameras and new EF-mount C lenses. With all of that, I'm not sure there is any logical reason to design and release a new 7D II right now, or within the next year or two.

Hope that helps.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

friedmud

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 05:09:58 PM »
Thanks for the well-reasoned reply... That all makes sense.  I think I'm going to pull the trigger.

Just needed that nudge over the edge ;-)

phixional ninja

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 06:02:02 PM »
I can't shed any light on when a replacement for the 7D might appear (and jrista seems to have done a thorough job on that subject already), but I can chime in and say that I think you're going to adore the 7D.  The 7D was my first DSLR (upgraded from a G10 which I never took off manual, to force myself to learn), and after a lot of research, I came to the conclusion that its features (the rear thumbstick in particular) really were worth the extra money over the 60D.  I haven't regretted that decision for a moment, and I think this body is going to stick with me for a long time, while I dump any extra money I have in to lenses.

Enjoy!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 06:24:24 PM »
+1 on getting it now.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 08:25:29 PM »
If you are in the USA, you can trade in a old film SLR (supposed to be broken) for about 15-20% off of a refurb 7D thru the Canon Loyalty Program.

I did, and my 7D is like new and a great camera.

niccyboy

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 08:35:42 PM »
7D sounds perfect for you, and while a new Rebel is definitely on the horizon, no one knows what the 7d is doing.

However as everyone has pointed out, I doubt there will be any huge jumps in resolution, the focus on it is excellent, it will work well with your ef-s lenses and has the 5d ergonomics, weather sealing and feel.

I don't like the iso noise in mine, that's my only gripe. But it's the best of the crops :)

Buy it and snap away :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 08:35:42 PM »

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 08:41:30 PM »
Thanks for the well-reasoned reply... That all makes sense.  I think I'm going to pull the trigger.

Just needed that nudge over the edge ;-)

You won't regret it, even if a new 7D does come out in a year. Its a great camera, with some pretty amazing features. Get it, use it, and when you find the need for something better...whenever that occurs...grab the latest of whatever is out at the time. I've been holding out for the 5D III hoping it would bump up resolution and back off the video a bit (leaving that to the 1DX), and if the new rumors accurate...I may have wasted my time. There is no time like the present, and you can't take great photos without a camera in hand. Pull the trigger! :D
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

friedmud

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 09:11:44 PM »
Thank you all for the great replies!  I ordered it... and I'm crazy excited about it!

I've actually needed to step up to a "pro" body for a while now (I've really been forcing my XSi to do things it wasn't really meant for)... this is going to make my photography quite a bit easier.

As for trading in the XSi... I really like the idea of having a backup camera.  I have some overseas trips planned next year and if my _only_ camera were to give out while shooting the countryside in Japan I think I would just find a cliff to jump off!

daveheinzel

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • daveheinzel.com
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 09:20:29 PM »
Glad you ordered it. I was going to suggest that. I LOVE my 7D, and I couldn't care less about a replacement. It's absolutely wonderful for what it does.

pj1974

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 10:14:03 PM »
Glad you ordered it. I was going to suggest that. I LOVE my 7D, and I couldn't care less about a replacement. It's absolutely wonderful for what it does.

+1

Well, in one sense I do care about a replacement - but that's more from the perspective of being interested in what the next generation of cameras will have to offer when my 7D dies (rather than 'needing' / wanting a replacement to a 7D now).

Last night I couldn't sleep... so between 01:00am and 02:00am I decided to take some photos at a local lookout point (about 3 minutes drive from my home). I took my trusty 7D & tripod, the 7D handled the situation so well (much more user friendly and intuitive in the dark than my 350D).

I plan to keep my 7D till it 'stops ticking over' and then see what the market has to offer then. By learning, practising and taking photos - the 7D is a great photographers camera for the wide variety of photo genres that I do - from wildlife, to landscape to macro, etc.  Don't let people say a 7D can't take good landscapes or portrait.

OK, I don't deny that a full frame will give you some advantages, but in many situations, if you know your equipment and have suitable lenses - with an APS-C you can capture images which are basically indistinguishable from a FF (apart from a non-real life pixel-peeping perspective).

Wishing the OP all the best with your 7D!

Paul
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

DanoPhoto

• Rebel T5i
  • There is beauty in simplicity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 10:32:12 PM »
Definitely keep he XSi as a back-up or second body with alternate lens combo.

Sold mine when I bought 7D and regret it.
1DX | 16-35L II | 24-70L II | 50L | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 100L Macro | 300/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 2x III TC | 580EX II | MT24EX | lots of accessories & gadgets

shermanstank

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 11:55:03 PM »
I wish you didn't invest too heavily on the EF-S lenses. It's like putting all your eggs in one basket.---But anyway, the best thing you should do is not to buy the 7D since it has the same guts with that of the T2i. Granted that it has superb autofocusing, the technology is rather old and you should wait for future crop cameras that have the DIGIC V.   

Maybe in the future you should sell some of the EF-S lenses because  for one thing, if you decide to do this professionally ( full-time/part-time), you will have to go with the full frame system and it will require the EF mount lenses.  Another thing to consider is that as you go on with your photographic journey, you might want to try film for your portraiture shoots-- I have (2) EOS 1V-HS cameras-- professional grade 35mm SLR and they are awesome cameras for a fraction of the price of a high end DSLR.  The look of film is just priceless.. having all clean images from digital tends to get boring and film has its place.   

This is just my humble opinion.   Check-out my FLICKR page and you will see that I have invested heavily on EF lenses which are mostly "L" with a rebel t2i and  2 1V-HS. 

A lot of the top wedding photographers use  an EOS 1v-HS  ( ex. Jose Villa) in conjunction with a medium format body ( e.g.. CONTAX 645).

Anyway, I suggest waiting for a camera with the DIGIC V chip. There is no rush into buying a new camera. If you need one, just rent it for now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theshermanstank

Cheers,

Sherwin
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 02:07:55 AM by shermanstank »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 11:55:03 PM »

Harley

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 01:35:53 AM »
I had been waiting and waiting to upgrade to a 5DMkIII from my Digital Rebel XT and finally took the plunge on a similarly good offer on a 7D.  Don't look back!  If/when the next big thing comes out we can all re-evaluate, but for the foreseeable future it's all about clicking away with an incredible camera!  You won't have any regrets.  Even when that next great camera comes out, you probably won't want to unload your 7D. 
Have fun!
EOS 7D, EF 17-40mm f/4 L, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG EX, FD TS 35mm f/2.8, FL 55mm f/1.2, FD 300mm f/2.8 L

shermanstank

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 02:18:17 AM »
Ooops. My message was a little too late  :P You did order the 7D. Congratulations!! So, yeah you should enjoy your new camera. Take every opportunity to master its weaknesses and strengths--- GO OUT AND PRACTICE. From my experience, being keen to a camera/lens' LIMITATIONS  ( vs. strengths) can save you a lot of frustration when dealing with a challenging scene--- lighting, motion etc.  I have borrowed a friend's 7D and it is an awesome camera. I suggest purchasing a battery grip to go with it since the weight of the grip contributes to CAMERA STABILITY... Not like I am an old fart with shaky hands.. I'm 36yrs old. =) 

So yeah, a 7D with  a battery grip is a great  combo.

Cheers!

Sherwin
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 02:26:30 AM by shermanstank »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 02:18:17 AM »