November 23, 2014, 05:08:48 AM

Author Topic: The C300 CAN focus EF lenses! (The C300 manual is available)  (Read 3393 times)

Bob Howland

The C300 CAN focus EF lenses! (The C300 manual is available)
« on: December 05, 2011, 10:02:17 AM »
In some of the C300 promotional literature, there was reference to remotely focusing an EF lens using a wireless remote. I asked Canon USA how this was done but never got a satisfactory answer. Anyway, look on page 69 of the following:

eosc300-eosc300pl-im-c-en.pdf

On this page:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/cinema_eos_cameras/eos_c300#BrochuresAndManuals

Sounds like, deep down, Canon agrees with Craig over at LensRentals.com about still photography lenses making crappy cinematography lenses.

(HT Photography Bay)

Correction: It's Roger, not Craig.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 10:30:58 AM by Bob Howland »

canon rumors FORUM

The C300 CAN focus EF lenses! (The C300 manual is available)
« on: December 05, 2011, 10:02:17 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: The C300 CAN focus EF lenses! (The C300 manual is available)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 02:35:41 PM »
Its still manual focus, not autofocus, but it can be done remotely, which might allow for a remote focus puller software application, which would be nice if its fast enough.

I could imagine applications that let you set focus points corresponding to actors positions and saving them in the remote.  Then just push the position number, letter, or title and the camera focuses to the memorized point.  That would be a really neat app to have for a studio on a low budget, since it would basically eliminate the need for a full time focus puller.  Just setup once, and it can be used over and over until a scene is finished.

Its been long known that manually focusing Canon EF lenses is difficult.  The higher end ones with USM motors are even trickier, since they have a slip clutch and the point of rotation on the focus ring for a given distance can and will vary everytime the clutch slips.  The clutch is required in order to have full time manual focus.  It means that a focus puller's job is extremely difficult, a hard geared lens would pay fo itself in short order if you are filming with a studio full of expensive talent and operators.

A hard geared lens will always have repeatable focus, so you can set it by a mark on the lens and return to it.

Edwin Herdman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 01:58:03 AM »
Its still manual focus, not autofocus, but it can be done remotely, which might allow for a remote focus puller software application, which would be nice if its fast enough.
That's all they needed to do.  Canon just streamlined things for many users, removing the need to use clumsy focus gear systems and add cost to a shooting setup.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 11:48:13 AM »
Oh well in that case, let me get out my checkbook, $20,000 you say?  Ok, here ya go   ;)
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

Jedifarce

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 01:18:56 AM »

Sounds like, deep down, Canon agrees with Craig over at LensRentals.com about still photography lenses making crappy cinematography lenses.

(HT Photography Bay)

Correction: It's Roger, not Craig.

Gee don't tell Vincent Laforet that, I'm sure he'd be a bit shocked.

AG

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 02:46:14 AM »
I could imagine applications that let you set focus points corresponding to actors positions and saving them in the remote.  Then just push the position number, letter, or title and the camera focuses to the memorized point.  That would be a really neat app to have for a studio on a low budget, since it would basically eliminate the need for a full time focus puller.  Just setup once, and it can be used over and over until a scene is finished.

Sounds like what the Okii Follow Focus USB controllers can do already.

Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 10:52:10 PM »

Sounds like what the Okii Follow Focus USB controllers can do already.

Yes, it will remember up to 4 focus points.  A video maker should find it valuable.  Hopefully, it will work with all new DSLR's as well.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 10:52:10 PM »

HurtinMinorKey

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 01:17:04 PM »
I told my wife I wanted a c300, and she replied, " you mean that shitty movie with Gerard Butler?".

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 01:17:04 PM »