July 31, 2014, 08:55:33 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS Rebel T4i [CR2]  (Read 39063 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon EOS Rebel T4i [CR2]
« on: December 05, 2011, 12:26:29 PM »
The next Rebel I received some early specs about the coming update to the T3i. We’re told to expect it before CP+ in February.

The camera will probably be a new 24mp APS-C sensor and run a DIGIC 5 processor. The DIGIC 5+ won’t be used.

Expect some standard upgrades in ISO performance, HD movie modes and some creative control updates. The final spec list is not yet finalized.

It was mentioned that Canon may keep the new sensor for a 60D upgrade, with the next Rebel sticking at 18mp.

cr

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 12:28:21 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon EOS Rebel T4i [CR2]
« on: December 05, 2011, 12:26:29 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS Rebel T4i [CR2]
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 12:32:32 PM »
I would have been surprised to see a higher MP sensor on a Rebel/xxxD, or even a 70D, prior to the 7DII.  But now Canon marketing can point to the 1D X having fewer MP than the 5DII/1DsIII and being 'better' as they continue to upmarket the current 7D.  So, maybe we'll see a new APS-C sensor in the Rebel.  I have no doubt that we'll see a new Rebel/xxxD in 1Q12. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

MartinvH

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 12:33:39 PM »
Thanks for that info ...but I must say it sounds rather confusing 18 or 24 megapixel.

24 megapixel on such a small sensor ..well.... would that imply the 5D Mark 3 will also raise its megapixels dramatically ?
I think so.

24 megapixel on Aps-c is however the way Sony has gone with its Aps-c sensor in the
Sony Nex-7 which does has some superior points over the Canon Aps-c.

However i still find it hard to believe 24 megapixel ....is the megapixel hype still not over ?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 12:52:06 PM by MartinvH »

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 12:48:11 PM »
The camera will probably be a new 24mp APS-C sensor and run a DIGIC 5 processor. The DIGIC 5+ won’t be used.

DIGIC 5+?
Has that been used anywhere else?

Expect some standard upgrades in ISO performance, HD movie modes and some creative control updates. The final spec list is not yet finalized.
It was mentioned that Canon may keep the new sensor for a 60D upgrade, with the next Rebel sticking at 18mp.

So this will be announced in less than 2 months time and the final spec list is not yet finalised?

WTF?

The bit about 24MP vs 18MP makes this sound more like a rumor to prevent people with current model Canon cameras from jumping ship to Sony, who now have more MP in their cameras than Canon, whilst Canon evaluates the costs (both in process/materials and lost customers if they don't) associated with changing the planned 18MP sensor over to the 24MP sensor.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 12:56:45 PM »
DIGIC 5+?
Has that been used anywhere else?

The 1D X will have 2 Digic5+ processors.

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 01:04:50 PM »
I would have been surprised to see a higher MP sensor on a Rebel/xxxD, or even a 70D, prior to the 7DII. 

Well I believe / think it is possible. Or is it wishful thinking?
The Canon 650D with one Digic 5 - 2012 / spring
Next the Canon 70D with one Digic 5 - 2012 / autumn
Then the Canon 7D MK II with two Digic 5 - 2013 /spring

5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 01:12:05 PM »
I would have been surprised to see a higher MP sensor on a Rebel/xxxD, or even a 70D, prior to the 7DII. 

Certainly Digic5 will be used from now on, 7DII might have two of them or even two Digic5+.  But that says nothing about MP count...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 01:12:05 PM »

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 01:23:10 PM »

Certainly Digic5 will be used from now on, 7DII might have two of them or even two Digic5+.  But that says nothing about MP count...

You are right. I am not sure about 24MP. Could be 21.
What I mean is the specs of the current 7D are different from a 60D. I don't believe people jump from 7D to 70D just because it has more MP than the current 7D (18MP) and just because it hits the market before the 7D MK II. I bought my 7D for Sports. The 60D doesn't match my criteria. I believe it will be the same with the 70D. I can except the lower amount of MP for another 12 months compared to 650D and 70D because their specs still don't match my criteria. At least I think and I hope  :)

Oh, and I think the Digic 5+ is exclusive for the FF. So don't think they put 2 Digic 5+ in the 7D MKII - just my 2cents
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 01:27:21 PM by candyman »
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

NoWii

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 01:43:53 PM »
I have only one question.. Why, why WHY?
Why do they even need to update the series? Cameras are not old, are not outdated, and it just seems stupid to release a new camera, just because of higher mp count. There's no real improvement. And there's a product for everyone. What do you miss? What kind of camera? Don't tell me, that anyone actually waits impatiently for a new rebel or xxD camera?
The only hole in canon's body lineup might be an affordable FF camera, but even so, 5dII is still selling well.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 01:44:32 PM »
<p>It was mentioned that Canon may keep the new sensor for a 60D upgrade, with the next Rebel sticking at 18mp.</p>

That seems to be the most likely, no?

I mean, wouldn't the former (digic V + 24MP) in a rebel completely displace the 60D and kill sales?

Unless they're planning on a $1.2k body, which seems silly.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

Bob Howland

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 01:47:06 PM »
Are we headed for a negative correlation between the price of a camera body and the number of pixels it contains? I suppose that pixel count is comparatively easy for Best Buy sales people to explain to potential buyers.

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 02:00:05 PM »
Are we headed for a negative correlation between the price of a camera body and the number of pixels it contains? I suppose that pixel count is comparatively easy for Best Buy sales people to explain to potential buyers.

Quite possibly, it might even make sense for there to be. I was in Best Buy a few months ago looking at their selection of DSLRs and I over heard a customer and a salesperson discussing DSLRs. The customer kept saying "But this one has more megapixels" (I almost jumped it, but decided I didn't care). Entry-level customers and parents won't typically know anything about ISO performance, dynamic range or diffraction limits. They just know megapixels and want more of them.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 02:05:14 PM »
<p>It was mentioned that Canon may keep the new sensor for a 60D upgrade, with the next Rebel sticking at 18mp.</p>

That seems to be the most likely, no?

I mean, wouldn't the former (digic V + 24MP) in a rebel completely displace the 60D and kill sales?

Unless they're planning on a $1.2k body, which seems silly.

I imagine that it will depend on how much the sales of Sony's new A77/NEX-7 impact on Canon's sales.

If the new Sony kit has a significant impact on the sales of Canon cameras (that only have 18MP), then you can bet your ass that the next Canon DSLR will have at least 24MP.

If the 60D stops selling (or the reduction is perceived to be large enough) because of the Sony's 24MP cameras, why would Canon care if the 650D/T4i has more MP than the 60D? They would need to get back to building a camera that sells, not a camera that doesn't sell.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 02:05:14 PM »

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 02:05:49 PM »
I have only one question.. Why, why WHY?
Why do they even need to update the series? Cameras are not old, are not outdated, and it just seems stupid to release a new camera, just because of higher mp count. There's no real improvement. And there's a product for everyone. What do you miss? What kind of camera? Don't tell me, that anyone actually waits impatiently for a new rebel or xxD camera?
The only hole in canon's body lineup might be an affordable FF camera, but even so, 5dII is still selling well.

To tell you the truth, I feel the same. But it must be the need and must of technology development, pushing the technology into the market before the compitition will do that and the growth as a company.
One can see that in many industries. Look at cars, TV's etc

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 02:12:01 PM »
Ever since the 1D-X was announced, I've given up trying to predict what Canon will do.

Still, it is entertaining to speculate. I think Canon has too many cameras with the same sensor and needs to find a way to differentiate the lines. I question if they would put a 24mp sensor in a Rebel and then recycle the exact same sensor for a 7DII. It's one thing to let technology filter "down" from one model to another, but much harder to successfully pull off having technology filter "up" to more expensive models. Especially so, if there is a nine month gap or so between the announcement of a T4i and a 7DII. (Perception among 7DII buyers that they are being fed "old" technology.)

My wishful thinking: a more modest increase (21 mp) or no increase (keep at 18 mp) for the 7DII with improvements in noise, dynamic range and ISO. This allows clear differentiation between the 7D and the Rebel line.

I keep asking myself, what would cause me to upgrade from a 7D to a 7DII? I'm not an anti-megapixel person, but that alone won't do it for me and I suspect it won't do it for most 7D owners.

Some argue that current 7D owners aren't the target market (Canon wants to lure Rebel and 60D owners). To some extent that may be true, but two thoughts there: First, sophisticated Rebel and 60D owners also need to be convinced that the 7D is superior enough to warrant the upgrade and Second, the DSLR market is much more mature today than just a few years ago, meaning that manufacturers need to rely on repeat sales much more heavily than they did when the market was expanding by leaps and bounds.

Finally, the death of the APS-H sensor has to be a factor. The recent Canon interview showed that they hope to fill the void with teleconverters and new lenses, but they will be watching the market to test the reaction. As some readers have pointed out, the 1.6 crop factor of the APS-C sensor makes a better teleconverter than any true teleconverter. (No loss of image quality and no loss of speed).

I have my wish list, but mostly I plan to just sit back and enjoy the ride as I watch what Canon rolls out over the next year or so.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 02:12:01 PM »