October 31, 2014, 07:13:53 PM

Poll

Which is the best raw conversion software for Canon cameras?

Adobe Camera Raw
16 (55.2%)
Bibble Pro
2 (6.9%)
Canon DPP
4 (13.8%)
Capture One Pro
3 (10.3%)
DxO Optics Pro
3 (10.3%)
Raw Therapee
1 (3.4%)
Other (please define)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Let's talk about RAW software  (Read 4687 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk about RAW software
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 10:28:05 AM »
So if you lock focus, recompose and shoot, the AF points are in the wrong position.

...and if you're shooting with a fast lens wide open, the plane of critical focus will be in the wrong position, too.  See Why Focus-Recompose Sucks for more details.  Some Hasselblad cameras have gyro sensors that allow them (supposedly) detect and correct the error resulting from focus-recompose.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 10:28:05 AM »

skitron

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 10:59:38 AM »
Capture One Pro here. Excellent workflow and even better IQ. I've said many times here the difference in IQ between CO and DPP is larger than kit lens to L. Amazing results in very little time. One of the acid tests for me is rendering 24K gold properly and CO nails it immediately, DPP makes it look like brass no matter how many hours I spend messing with it and color profiles.

Full disclosure: My thought when doing evals was the software from the company that has a medium format camera and lens lineup was probably the place to start. So I did and was impressed enough to buy and never bothered testing others (other than DPP).  I don't have much time to fiddle with my hobby so I wanted a software aimed at the time=$ crowd and recognized it immediately in CO.

That said, I am also an Adobe Premier Pro (video) user and swear by it even though I'm not a fan of the quirky UI and workflow. Adobe would have been next on the eval list, but after trying CO my thoughts were Adobe might equal CO in IQ but not surpass it and no way the workflow would be as good based on my experiences with Premier Pro, so no reason to go there.

No opinion on the others since I have no experience with them (except that DPP is horrendous). But given their respective successes in the market it's probably safe to say they are all good products. So hopefully the value of this thread is for those either shooting JPG or using DPP and looking for ideas how to raise the bar. I doubt seriously there is compelling reason to change from one "good" RAW processor to another.

[edit]  If you don't have color calibration for your monitors, I'd say there is much more value dealing with that first and then moving into improved RAW processing. As much as CO improved my setup, it would be a virtual waste without first getting the monitors calibrated.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 11:08:16 AM by skitron »
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

RC

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 11:09:59 AM »
I mostly use DPP only to check IQ at the AF point position(s)--I love that feature.

It would be great if it really did that.  Unfortunately, it simply displays the AF points centred in the frame, with the active one(s) in red.  So if you lock focus, recompose and shoot, the AF points are in the wrong position.

Excellent point, I'll have to keep that in mind so I don't mislead myself
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 02:42:21 PM by RC »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 11:09:59 AM »