July 22, 2014, 02:17:34 PM

Author Topic: A Bit About the 5D Mark III? [CR1]  (Read 31079 times)

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
Re: A Bit About the 5D Mark III? [CR1]
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 10:21:35 PM »
That said, for now I guess if I want pro-level AF, I will need to buy the 1DX  :o

Which is exactly I'm waiting for B&H to start taking 1D X pre-orders...

Which is exactly why i'm waiting for people like Neuro to dump their 5D2s second-hand around March-April next year...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 10:21:35 PM »

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 10:22:11 PM »
It is as if they are saying: "If you want good auto focus in your DSLR, you must either go for the 7D crop camera, or for the "super heavy" 7000 dollar 1DX.

That's exactly what Canon has been saying, for years.  Nikon, OTOH, has been putting pro-level AF in semi-pro bodies - but if you want a high resolution sensor (in the current lineup, rumors about a high-MP D800 are still just rumors), you have to get APS-C or an $8000 D3x, while Canon 'gives away' the same 21-MP sensor from the 1DsIII in the 'affordable' 5DII. Different brands, different strategies for internal differentiation. You pays your money and you makes your choice...

Well said.  +2

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 10:32:48 PM »
For all you people who want better AF in the 5D3, what do you mean by better?

- More points, no matter how they perform?
- More f/2.8 and cross-type points? (regardless of how much light and how many total points there are)
- Points that work in less light? (regardless of how many there are and what aperture they are sensitive to)

I don't give a $h!t how many AF points, cross-type points, blah, blah, blah that the 5D3 will have. All I want is an AF system that locks focus quickly, accurately and consistently, especially with moving subjects. Low light AF performance needs to be upgraded substantially as well. In other words, I just want an AF system that doesn't get in my way. I couldn't care less how many AF points, cross-type points, or processors it takes to make it happen. As long as something works well for my shooting needs, I don't give a rat's ass what the specs may be. 

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 10:41:50 PM »
For all you people who want better AF in the 5D3, what do you mean by better?

- More points, no matter how they perform?
- More f/2.8 and cross-type points? (regardless of how much light and how many total points there are)
- Points that work in less light? (regardless of how many there are and what aperture they are sensitive to)

I don't give a $h!t how many AF points, cross-type points, blah, blah, blah that the 5D3 will have. All I want is an AF system that locks focus quickly, accurately and consistently, especially with moving subjects. Low light AF performance needs to be upgraded substantially as well. In other words, I just want an AF system that doesn't get in my way. I couldn't care less how many AF points, cross-type points, or processors it takes to make it happen. As long as something works well for my shooting needs, I don't give a rat's ass what the specs are.

+1

As long as it works accurately and consistently, everything is fine.

I dont think anyone would want a flash that did not work consistently, right? Or what about inconsistent aperture?

If I do everything right, I SHOULD get my perfect shot, without having to worry about AF doing crazy things.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 10:45:30 PM by Ricku »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 11:10:57 PM »
meh, someone could have put this story together just from reading the comments on here during the last two weeks.

Jettatore

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2011, 11:39:01 PM »
It is as if they are saying: "If you want good auto focus in your DSLR, you must either go for the 7D crop camera, or for the "super heavy" 7000 dollar 1DX.

Yeah that's how I feel.  Full-Frame should be well doable at a pro-level in a half-sized body by this point.

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 05:25:09 AM »
Well, in relation to the Rebel rumor posted yesterday, is there still a possibility for a 5D3 below 30+MP? Let's say if they had a 24 MP 1Dx-type-sensor at hand for implementation in the upcoming body? Or is that unlikely? This would  mean a slight increase in MP only and still could beat Nikon by price and improved quality compared to their rumored 36 MP attempt. Wouldn't that be a wise move? Calling the experts here: Is that a mere dream of mine?
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 05:25:09 AM »

Nejko

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 06:06:21 AM »
i really don´t see a reason why Canon doesn´t put the old 45-AF system combined with the 4fps.. it is utterly useless for sports.. but kicks ass in AF.. being Canon likes to reuse stuff... NO WAY are they going to dump the all new 1D mk4 AF system after one camera model.. either one of the 7D or 5D get the 45-AF.. or.. the 2/3/4D might come to be.. one day... a FF 7D with the 1Dx sensor, 45-AF and 6-8fps for 4k€...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 06:31:47 AM »
I don't give a $h!t how many AF points, cross-type points, blah, blah, blah that the 5D3 will have. All I want is an AF system that locks focus quickly, accurately and consistently, especially with moving subjects. Low light AF performance needs to be upgraded substantially as well. ... As long as something works well for my shooting needs, I don't give a rat's ass what the specs may be.

Hopefully you don't give a rat's ass about cost, either, because you're just described the behavior of the AF system in a 1-series camera.  So...problem solved - get a 1DsIII, 1D IV, or a 1D X when it comes out.  I can almost guarantee that, given the requirements you outline, you're not going to be happy with the AF of the 5DIII.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

torger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2011, 06:56:26 AM »
Ahhh... at last a 5Dmk3 rumour more along my lines :-).

I think it is unlikely to see a "cheap" fullframe with similar specs to 1DX. They must differ significantly. High res, slow, simple AF seems logical. A 7D2 with its smaller sensor as differentiator could have AF close to 1DX though. A 5D / 7D combo like I have today may be a good combo also in the next generation.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2011, 07:34:31 AM »
Well, in relation to the Rebel rumor posted yesterday, is there still a possibility for a 5D3 below 30+MP? Let's say if they had a 24 MP 1Dx-type-sensor at hand for implementation in the upcoming body? Or is that unlikely? This would  mean a slight increase in MP only and still could beat Nikon by price and improved quality compared to their rumored 36 MP attempt. Wouldn't that be a wise move? Calling the experts here: Is that a mere dream of mine?

You don't need to be a spy inside Canon to make educated guesses about what size (in MP) sensors they will come out with for full frame cameras - just look at the pixel density of their APS-C cameras and scale up!

5D2/1Ds3 (21MP) =~ 20D/30D (8MP)
~26MP =~ 40D (10MP)
~38MP =~ 50D (15.1MP)

Jettatore

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2011, 07:35:22 AM »
I don't give a $h!t how many AF points, cross-type points, blah, blah, blah that the 5D3 will have. All I want is an AF system that locks focus quickly, accurately and consistently, especially with moving subjects. Low light AF performance needs to be upgraded substantially as well. ... As long as something works well for my shooting needs, I don't give a rat's ass what the specs may be.

Hopefully you don't give a rat's ass about cost, either, because you're just described the behavior of the AF system in a 1-series camera.  So...problem solved - get a 1DsIII, 1D IV, or a 1D X when it comes out.  I can almost guarantee that, given the requirements you outline, you're not going to be happy with the AF of the 5DIII.

neuroanatomist, there comes a point where planned obsolescence and the forced withholding and temporary suppression of iterative tech upgrades for marketing/product line purposes and colluding with the competition to compete softly in the market will backfire in the faces of the offenders.  Canon should be happy to have an opportunity to dominate and make riches in a period in time where no one deserves to be rich, something that can be taken away virtually overnight if it's mistreated or gambled.  Why am I saying this to you?  Because it sounds like you've gotten to the point where you believe the marketing bullshit is as sound and real world as your photographic mathematics and science.

PerfectSavage

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2011, 07:35:53 AM »
There is no way Canon is going to put an AF system in a 5D series camera that is a lesser equivalent of - if not better than - the 7D AF; that source is bogus.  Secondly, the other information is solid (if obvious) and anyone who thinks the Cine version DSLR Canon rolled out at the C300 launch is going to be a 5DIII must remember one simple thing; Canon announced it, branded it and placed it directly beside the C300 in HollywoodTHAT is the market that camera (when/if it comes to market) is intended for, Hollywood B/C cam setups supporting the C300...Indie types etc.  It is not designed for the same market as the 5DII/III etc and while it might be awfully similar to a 5DIII (think 7D/60D differences) when it comes out, it will be different and targeted at a different market and probably available in a PL mount option like the C300.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2011, 07:35:53 AM »

Jettatore

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2011, 07:46:57 AM »
I thought that new C camera was 1D sized and rumored to perhaps be even APS-C cropped.

scottsdaleriots

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2011, 07:50:07 AM »
Here are the 'basics' that I'd like to have in the 5dmII;
* at least 25MP (IMO I cant justify spending $US7000 or whatever it will be for a FF 18MP, I have a 7d and i'm content with the 18MP it has)
*pro-AF which focusses rapidly, locks on
* dual digi V
* higher/better video capacities
* the fps I dont really cant about, though about 5fps would be good
* 1Dx's ISO or something similar to it

More than anything I want canpn to announce AND release the 5dmkII ASAP coz i'm studying photography next year - first year is $10,000 alone, not including the material costs, etc. f**king expensive as course and they're forcing us to buy and use a FF camera. i dont want to and i dont see the logic in buying the 5dmkII only to have the mkIII get announced/released 6 or so months later. that's just a total waste of money IMO, I dont care if it retains most of its value. I've been holding out for a mkIII for a long time and want it to be my first FF camera.

stupid canon, release official specs already!!!! >:(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2011, 07:50:07 AM »