December 18, 2017, 04:08:50 AM

Author Topic: A Bit About the 5D Mark III? [CR1]  (Read 55671 times)

JR

Re: A Bit About the 5D Mark III? [CR1]
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2011, 08:26:28 AM »
Isn't it a bit sad that if this and the current Nikon rumours prove true, then this time next year we will have to buy a 1D X to get a camera that is even remotely as good as the equivalent Nikon? I guess we'll heve to wait and see.  Is anyone else beginning to wonder if they've bought into the wrong system?

I dont.  Not now anyway.  We are all speculating on cameras from both Canon and Nikon that have yet to be announced.  If I look at what is available today on the market, I am quite happy with my 5D mkII and I really like the lens lineup that Canon has.  I would not trade my current gear for a D700 and Nikon lenses.  With what is available today, I would pick Canon again in a hearth beat.

Of course some of the spec of the rumored Nikon camera are very compelling, but lets wait and see how good it is when we have RAW files.  One pro shooter I met recently which shoot with both Canon and Nikon told me he was eager to get the 1DX and that this is what he will use for now.  I replied to him well what about the rumored D800, and his responce was that he did not beleive the IQ will be as good as we think.  At 38MP, high ISO has to suffer compared to Canon ...

I will be concerned if Canon next line up is not competitive with Nikon, but Canon likely has several sample with different spec on test and am sure they will pick the right one to compete with Nikon...(wishful thinking)

???
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2011, 08:26:28 AM »

infared

• EOS 5DS R
  • Kodak Brownie!
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2011, 08:33:37 AM »
Yo...scottsdaleriots (doubtful) What is with all of the anger with the posts everybody? ....you are so angry in your bold print you state "I want canpn to announce AND release the 5DMarkII ASAP coz I'm studying photography next year". First lets hope you are studying English this year.  Canon is a cap and check your spelling.  Second I think you are referring to the 5D Mark III in your rant. Also...if you are a new student to photography a 5D Mark II is plenty of camera...plenty..... if creating, processing and printing excellent photography is what you had in mind. Save yourself some money and concentrate on the knowledge and art, not the machine. Its not ALL about the camera.
If this is where Canon is headed with the 5D...I am going to keep the one I own (unbelievable camera) and hang in the wings and pick up another body at a discount. I do not need 30mp.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 10:46:34 AM by infared »
5D III +BG, 5D IV +BG, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Rokinon 15mm f/2.4,  Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, Sigma 20mm f/1.4 Art, Canon 35mm f/1.4L II, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art, Canon 85mm f/1.2L,  Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II & 1.4x III

MartinvH

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2011, 08:49:48 AM »
Why would you need 'superior' autofocus in a 5D mark 3 ??
It is a high resolution portrait and landscape camera , so that is what its made for.
You want both worlds buy an extra 7D or just one 1D-X and sell the rest of your camera's.

People (i am talking amateurs here) are just never satisfied , we always want something better, newer and more expensive which does rarely improve your pictures.
It just makes you lazier in your technique!

Would not we al buy the new Canon 1D-X + lenses if we could so easily afford it ?
And end up spending over 10.000 euro's just to get more great (but everso always the same) pictures of your running kids inside your lowlighted house or the same pictures of your favorite area:)

Yesterday I was just walking around sundown without a tripod and got lucky to get some of the best landscape pictures I ever did.
No lens or camera can make up for a that split moment when weather ,light and circumstances come together in just a minute window or so.
A simple T2i plus a very old 75/300 lens got the job done.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 09:13:34 AM by MartinvH »

ghosh9691

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2011, 08:52:54 AM »
What is with all of the anger with the posts everybody?

'coz his ain't bigger or better than his neighbor! The anonymity afforded by the internet makes you braver/studiper and you can say anything you want, rant at anyone you want...

Its not ALL about the camera.
If this is where Canon is headed with the 5D...I am going to keep the one I own (unbelievable camera) and hang in the wings and pick up another body at a discount. I do not need 30mp.

Well said!!! Quite seriously, I am sick of people moaning about high ISO and/or high MP! Just go out and take some photographs. Remember, higher ISO or higher MP will not make you a better photographer!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2011, 08:54:03 AM »
Here are the 'basics' that I'd like to have in the 5dmIII;
* at least 25MP
* pro-AF which focusses rapidly, locks on
* dual digic V
* higher/better video capacities
* the fps I dont really cant about, though about 5fps would be good
* 1Dx's ISO or something similar to it

Here are the 'basics' that I'd like to have you're likely to get in the 5dmIII;
* at least 25MP 18 MP (but maybe more if they decide not to reuse the 1D X sensor)
* pro-AF which focusses rapidly, locks on
* dual digic V
* higher/better video capacities
* the fps I dont really cant about, though about 5fps 4 fps would be good
* 1Dx's ISO or something similar to it
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

Bob Howland

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2011, 09:30:09 AM »
Remember, higher ISO or higher MP will not make you a better photographer!

Wrong! If high ISO allows you to use a 24-70 zoom lens at 70mm instead of having to use a 24 f/1.4 lens, and an exposure of 1/60 sec and f/2.8 instead of 1/15 sec and f/1.4, then it most certainly can make you a "better photographer".

Jettatore

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2011, 09:38:05 AM »
Neuro...  -realistically, what physical/manufacturing cost savings would leaving out a reasonable auto-focus system provide?  I'm thinking in terms of raw material it's next to no extra costs, and in terms of manufacturing techniques, it's nominal for them to make the extra effort

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2011, 09:38:05 AM »

torger

• EOS M5
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2011, 09:38:15 AM »
Remember, higher ISO or higher MP will not make you a better photographer!

Wrong! If high ISO allows you to use a 24-70 zoom lens at 70mm instead of having to use a 24 f/1.4 lens, and an exposure of 1/60 sec and f/2.8 instead of 1/15 sec and f/1.4, then it most certainly can make you a "better photographer".

I agree, good equipment does make some shots possible which otherwise are impossible or extremely hard to nail. Good AF in sports for example. Low light photography. Beautiful short DoF photographs does require large aperture lenses. Etc.

Those that say that equipment is not important still often have top-of-the-line equipment themselves by some reason...

I think a better saying is that even with good equipment you can make poor pictures :-).

Jettatore

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2011, 09:50:33 AM »
torger, I think someone just wanted to rail into a student and bully them about spelling and grammar, because that's probably what someone did to them when they were young and eager to learn and be playing with exciting new equipment

Although I would say to that student that if your budget is tight, getting a used 5D Mark ONE isn't an altogether horrible idea depending on your budget, espeically if you end up having to wait for a Mark III release.  I'd also say that photography school in a digital age, is questionable. 

I'd take the $10 grand, bank it, spend a small amount on cheap but good (ef-s) equipment and spend your time scouring the internet and camping out at Barnes & Nobles/your local libraries and online book repositories in the photography sections.  There isn't anything a school can teach you in photography that isn't written in a book or in a youtube video at this point.  Then once you have taught yourself you can spend all that extra cash on high end kit that you will know how to take advantage of the day you test it out in the camera store while you study your purchase with experience.  Just my ten sents (and I spelled that wrong on purpose just to annoy the other guy)

whatta

• EOS M5
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2011, 10:10:18 AM »
Neuro...  -realistically, what physical/manufacturing cost savings would leaving out a reasonable auto-focus system provide?  I'm thinking in terms of raw material it's next to no extra costs, and in terms of manufacturing techniques, it's nominal for them to make the extra effort

how much did they save when they decided to remove AF-MA from 60D? Nothing, but they did ;)
Fuji XT2 | 35/2 | 56/1.2 | 18-55 | 55-200| Rokinon 12/2
On sale: Canon 400d | efs 15-85 | efs 60/2.8 | Sigma 30/1.4 | (broken efs 17-85)

redeyedfly

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2011, 10:12:07 AM »
This is absurd.  If these are the specs then why would anyone upgrade?  Only high megapixel/ISO performance?...I do that with software these days, I don't need a whole new camera just for that.

This rumor is obviously fabricated to throw off the Nikon d800 announcement.  For a camera that is considered a benchmark in the dslr world i seriously doubt canon would release anything with such a minimal improvement.  Especially considering the anniversary of the EOS this coming year...This is no way to showcase a revolutionary camera on the anniversary as the mark II did when it was released. 

If these specs are true I'll wait for a nikon d800, heck I'll even consider buying a used d700.  If canon can't release a revolutionary camera to include many major upgrades then why should I stay loyal to them?  I don't mind selling all of my canon lens and flashes if I don't have a decent high performing platform to use them on.

Pay attention Canon....You can't force people to buy a $7k 1DX camera...the 5DmkIII is critical to your consumer base, you better get it right.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 10:48:33 AM by redeyedfly »

Jettatore

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2011, 10:28:19 AM »

how much did they save when they decided to remove AF-MA from 60D? Nothing, but they did ;)

I get the "realist's" approach on not having high expectations when it comes to corporate spoon-feeding, but I'm not a fan of making it easy for them.  It's bad enough the competition all soft-plays against each other like poker pro's hunting salmon.  I at least attempt to fight against our corporate induced mass Stockholm syndrome, and it would be nice if I had a little help

arussarts

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2011, 10:46:59 AM »
I for one am delighted at this rumor.  Slightly better AF, above 30MP and even better high iso perfomance... Awesome!  These hardly seem like incremental improvements when you consider you're probably still only going to pay $2500.

If I wanted/needed a pro level AF system and high ISO, I'd suck it up and buy a 1Dx.  But I don't shoot sports so a speed demon of a camera is not important to me.  In fact, just about every architectural photographer I know currently uses a 5d2 because it's better than "good enough" and it doesn't cost $8000.  Thus, we can buy two and make more money, getting more shots.

Honestly, it sounds like a lot of the high iso/low megapixel crowd simply want a full frame 7D.  Why not?  Could be a great camera but I think we all know Canon learned their lesson on releasing an affordable version of their flagship camera.  No 1Dx's for $2500 would be my guess.  But I'd buy it if they did!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2011, 10:46:59 AM »

Stuart

• EOS M5
  • Hi there, welcome from a photo fan.
    • JackAllTog on ePhotozine
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2011, 10:52:45 AM »
AF type? Nikon seems to have a better AF approach - will canon improve theres for live view?
Canon 6D, 24-105, 50 F1.8 STM
Sigma 70 F2.8, 70-300.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2011, 10:58:28 AM »

Handicapping the 5DIII AF isn't a production cost-saving measure, it's a marketing strategy to drive differentiation.  As whatta correctly points out, including AFMA in the 60D would have been essentially free (there's no hardware component, and the algorithm was already done), but they chose not to do that.  Fundamentally, they need to have market separation between the 1D X and the 5DIII (and between any other lines, as well), and AF performance is one way to do that - it's one that Canon has a long history of using.  IMO, especially if Canon puts a >21 MP sensor in the 5DIII, they'll need to have other ways to differentiate it more strongly from the 1D X than if they use the same 18 MP sensor as the 1D X. 

Think of features as a set of sliders like you see in financial/loan calculators, and set has to sum to a fixed final ranking.  So, the 1-series has all the sliders pegged to the right-hand side (100%), and the xxxxD has them all pegged to the left (0%).  For models in between, think of xxxD at 25%, xxD at 50%, and xD at 75%.  Compare 7D to 5DII - the 7D has sensor size and MP bumped down (APS-C is not as good as FF, 18 vs. 21 MP), so the frame rate and AF sliders are bumped up, as is weather sealing.  If the 5DIII has FF, higher MP, equivalent AF as 7D, 5 fps, better sealing, etc., it becomes 90%, not 75%, and that's too close to the 1D X.  In other words, the better the sensor in the 5DIII, the worse (relatively) the other features.  For example, a 5DIII with a 28 MP FF sensor with the ISO improvements approaching the 1D X would likely mean using the exact same AF as the 5DII, lower FPS and perhaps even reduced build quality/sealing.  These trade-offs aren't necessarily determined by costs, but rather by marketing strategy.

AF type? Nikon seems to have a better AF approach

True - Nikon doesn't differentiate the pro line from the semi-pro line with AF.  Instead, they differentiate based on sensor resolution.  You can get 'pro' AF short of the D3x, but then you're limited to 16 MP APS-C or 12 MP FF.  If you want high MP and pro AF, you're stuck with the $8K D3x.
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2011, 10:58:28 AM »