August 21, 2014, 10:22:02 AM

Author Topic: what is it with the brits and DSLR cameras?  (Read 19670 times)

willrobb

Re: what is it with the brits and DSLR cameras?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 04:40:11 AM »
I've been stopped by police several times in London when taking travel shots.

In Scotland there has never been a problem. I've rolled into monuments and various places of interest and asked to speak to the PR staff to arrange a shoot for future dates and they have just told me "come in and take as many photos as you want now if you like" without even asking who I wanted to take photos for. Absolute heaven.

Here in Japan I have to go through faxes, emails, phone calls, meetings and a lot of stress before getting access to anything.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 04:40:11 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 05:36:40 AM »
I've been stopped by police several times in London when taking travel shots.

Recently?

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 06:38:41 AM »
Less than two weeks ago I stood at the entry gates to Buckingham Palace with a DSLR and used the remote for shooting without even a question from the palace guards/police that were 10 feet away.

willrobb

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 08:51:11 AM »
During trips in 2002, 2005 and 2008 I was stopped by police at Canary Wharf station, in front of The London eye, in front of The Houses of Parliment and a couple of other spots. Same things happened to an Aussie friend as well. Have to say though, the police were nice about it and said they were just trying to look pro-active and chatted about cameras and the likes. At Canary Wharf though apparently someone told the police I looked "suspicious" and they had to follow up....happens sometimes I guess, maybe I look shady? Would post up a pic but you'd probably feel nauseous and/or call Interpol  ::)

briansquibb

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 11:22:11 AM »
Less than two weeks ago I stood at the entry gates to Buckingham Palace with a DSLR and used the remote for shooting without even a question from the palace guards/police that were 10 feet away.

I pulled up with a group of bikers on the forecourt outside the gates of Buckingham Palace in September. They all hopped off and got the cameras out. The policeman just said to be quick as we shouldn't park there.

The attitude of the police to photographers has changed in the last year or so - I believe you would be very very unlikely to have any issue when taking pictures in a public place in the UK

UrbanImages

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 06:43:19 PM »
I was in London for a week in Sept/Early Oct. Literally took over 1500 photos without so much as a glance from the police including doing tripod work. I had heard prior to going that the Brits were tough but it never showed. I wouldn't hesitate to ever go back, loved every minute of the trip!
5D III, 5D IIx2.... 24-70L, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 35-350L, 17-40L, 28-135, 50-1.4, 85-1.8, 40-2.8, 100-2.8 Macro, Sigma 15 Fisheye... 600 EX, 580 EX IIx3, 430 EX II and a bunch of other toys...

Tcapp

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 01:05:00 AM »
don´t know where to post this.. but i think it kind of  fits in here.

i was visiting the UK last week. never felt more unwelcome as photographer anywhere.
(ok except... east germany in 1987). :(

so what is it that the british gov hates us DSLR shooters so much?

no shoothing here with a DSLR, no shooting there with a DSLR.
carry a tripod and you have a great chance to be deported to camp x-ray by the spooks.

are the british politicans are really that stupid that they believe terrorist can only make photos with a DSLR?

i was asked a few times not to take photos with my DSLR while people with mFT and even bridge cameras are allowed to take pictures.

can someone explain that nonsense?

Yes, people are very stupid. If I ever travel there, I'll have a lawyer on speed dial. I dont take kindly to my rights being infringed upon.
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 01:05:00 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 01:14:11 AM »

i was visiting the UK last week. never felt more unwelcome as photographer anywhere.

carry a tripod and you have a great chance to be deported to camp x-ray by the spooks.

are the british politicans are really that stupid that they believe terrorist can only make photos with a DSLR?

i was asked a few times not to take photos with my DSLR while people with mFT and even bridge cameras are allowed to take pictures.

Yes, people are very stupid. If I ever travel there, I'll have a lawyer on speed dial. I dont take kindly to my rights being infringed upon.

The rules are very simple

- shooting on public land is allowed without restriction
- shooting on private land is by the permission of the land owner only

You only have rights on public land.

Tcapp

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 02:16:19 AM »

The rules are very simple

- shooting on public land is allowed without restriction
- shooting on private land is by the permission of the land owner only

You only have rights on public land.

yup. I was reading the articles. Its happening on public land.
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

D.Sim

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2012, 02:31:43 AM »
I think its more to do with WHAT you're taking, rather than just the act of taking the shots...

Theres a group, I'm a photographer, Not a Terrorist, and its worth looking them up. They've got a card you can print out that lists out your rights, and what to do/not do...

briansquibb

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2012, 02:54:15 AM »
The issues about shooting from public land have been cleared up - the government and the police have  issued with clear instructions that photographers have full rights to take pictures

Police are not even allowed to demand to see the pictures you have taken, nor confiscate your camera. They are however allowed to take your details if your are for example taking pictures of a military base that could be construed as possible terrorist information gathering.

To walk around London taking 'tourist' pictures should be totally free of interference although there seems to be some issues around the Olympic sites where there is heightened security.

I would imagine that all countries have the same problems

Tcapp

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2012, 02:58:03 AM »
The issues about shooting from public land have been cleared up - the government and the police have  issued with clear instructions that photographers have full rights to take pictures

Police are not even allowed to demand to see the pictures you have taken, nor confiscate your camera. They are however allowed to take your details if your are for example taking pictures of a military base that could be construed as possible terrorist information gathering.

To walk around London taking 'tourist' pictures should be totally free of interference although there seems to be some issues around the Olympic sites where there is heightened security.

Somewhere in one of the articles they said that you were specifically not allowed to use a tripod, but could hand hold.

Someone on this forum mentioned that there is a new law in NYC that bans the use of a tripod...

Does this strike anyone else as odd? And maybe a little unconstitutional?

briansquibb

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 03:03:44 AM »
NO ban on tripods in public places, athough if you stopped people walking that would count as obstruction and you would be asked to move on

In public and private buildings it is common not to be allowed tripods as a safety precaution - they dont have signs saying 'dont trip over tripods' ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 03:03:44 AM »

BillyBean

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2012, 03:51:16 AM »
To be clear, this is mostly about ignorant and overbearing security guards rather than police. And let's face it, security guards are not in general hired for their intellect or their knowledge of the law. I've taken photos of police dealing with protesters with no issues. I even took some shots of a police team videoing the protesters- no issues whatsoever. It is of course the internet phenomenon of only hearing the exceptional incidents, not the general day to day experience. No one complains about a working dishwasher, right?

The really stupid part of all this is that Google Streetview has (I imagine) just about everything a diligent terrorist needs in terms of planning an event. No need to even leave the house.

Astro

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2012, 04:15:04 AM »

i read a lot of english, german and italian photo magazines.

the london police (london security) obviously has the most issues with photographers as it seems.
just take a look at "amateur photographer" magazine of last year. i think they have 20 reports about it.

and as there is a group especially for this topic it shows that it IS an issue, not something people make up.

http://photographernotaterrorist.org/
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 04:19:23 AM by Astro »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2012, 04:15:04 AM »