September 19, 2014, 10:19:37 PM

Author Topic: what is it with the brits and DSLR cameras?  (Read 19812 times)

Canon-F1

what is it with the brits and DSLR cameras?
« on: December 07, 2011, 07:00:45 AM »
don´t know where to post this.. but i think it kind of  fits in here.

i was visiting the UK last week. never felt more unwelcome as photographer anywhere.
(ok except... east germany in 1987). :(

so what is it that the british gov hates us DSLR shooters so much?

no shoothing here with a DSLR, no shooting there with a DSLR.
carry a tripod and you have a great chance to be deported to camp x-ray by the spooks.

are the british politicans are really that stupid that they believe terrorist can only make photos with a DSLR?

i was asked a few times not to take photos with my DSLR while people with mFT and even bridge cameras are allowed to take pictures.

can someone explain that nonsense?

canon rumors FORUM

what is it with the brits and DSLR cameras?
« on: December 07, 2011, 07:00:45 AM »

docsavage123

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: what is it with the brits and DSLR cameras?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 07:36:23 AM »
read the following:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/photography_body_launches_rights_card_news_257561.html

We have a problem in our country with terror laws so if you are out taking pictures the police can stop you as they may think you are a terrorist.  This has happened on loads of occasions and the magazine actually has a print and keep card to present to the police if they ask you to stop taking photos.

Its silly really and disuades people from coming to the UK for tourism. It seems to happen more though in the London area than in the rest of the UK.

Canon 7D, 6D, 100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS, 400mm F5.6L, 70-200 F4L, 1.4 EXT ii, EF100 F2.8 Macro,  40mm Pancake, Sigma 24-70EX DG F2.8, Sigma 17-35 F2.8-4 HSM, Sigma 18-50 F2.8-4 OS , EX430 II.

Picsfor

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 07:44:22 AM »
Don't take this the wrong way but:

oooh good, a tourist has been lifted for being in possession of terrorist surveillance equipment.

Do you know how good that makes me feel after several years of wandering around London with a DSLR and be hounded for the privilege.

I actually had a 14 hour day up London yesterday, and for the first time ever, did not get stopped.

I have absolutely no idea how they'll cope next year with the Olympics.

Chinese, Russian and Syrian takes on freedom to use a camera will be nothing to what this country will dole out.

For a country that has spent the last 40 years managing terrorism (home grown and foreign), i find it amazing we are struggling so much. Or did we just get of all the good people when the Northern Ireland crisis got resolved to a manageable level?

Canon-F1

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 09:15:14 AM »
It seems to happen more though in the London area than in the rest of the UK

i was in london... indeed.

i love wales and scottland. never had a problem there.
thought i have hardly seen any police or security guards there anyway.

but london?
a pain in the ass... to be frank.

i was wandering around with my 5D MK2 and a 16-35mm.
the 70-200mm f4 was in my bagpack (honest i did not use it because i feard the attention it would create).

when im a tourist i like to make photos of buildings and places... suprise suprise.   ::)
and many of the beautifull buildings are government buildings.

it´s not that i setup a huge gitzo tripod in a tube station causing an obstruction.
im not shooting with flash or a tripod in the national gallery.

i only want to shot architecture and buildings (handheld) that have been photographed a billion times before by generations of photographers.

in 2009 i was in london with my small lumix LX3.
i could take photos anywhere.
police was ignoring me... i was no terror threat.

and honest i felt like a terror threat when this police officer approached me the first time (happend another 2 times in 3 days).
where are the friendly bobbys from the movies?
today they walk around with machine guns!  :o
the terrorist have done a perfect job i would say.... to scare our rights away.
i wonder.. did the british police carry machine guns when the IRA crisis was at it´s peak?

so what makes a DSLR so special compared to lets say a mFT camera?
reading that article on amateur photographer it makes me wonder if that question was answered by british politician?

are these people really that clueless or is there a hidden agenda to ban DSLR cameras?

i mean it makes absolutely no sense (but if you see a sense please explain).
what kind of terrorist would wander around with a big DSLR and a 400mm tele when he could use a much smaller and less flashy bridge camera with a 35x zoom?   :o

« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 09:37:01 AM by Canon-F1 »

briansquibb

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 09:39:28 AM »
The anti terror laws brought all the jobsworths out of the woodwork. My advise is:

1. Only shoot from a public place - this means the security guards have no rights over you at all - including taking pictures of them

2. If a police person asks what you are doing, explain simply, calmly and honestly. Offer to show them the pictures you are taking.

3. Dont take closeups of sensitive building unless you clear it first - some building are covered by a restraining order

4. No one has rights to confiscate equipment or delete images - so if anyone suggests other wise just politely say no - and start walking away - you cannot be detained unless they arrest you - this is a bad idea for a policeman who then opens them selves to prosecution for wrongfull arrest, which it almost certainly would be.

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 10:14:21 AM »

what kind of terrorist would wander around with a big DSLR and a 400mm tele when he could use a much smaller and less flashy bridge camera with a 35x zoom?   :o

That's exactly what I think every time I see an article like this. I'm sure terrorists are using cell phones and compact superzooms to get their pictures. People with DSLRS are probably the least likely to be terrorists.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 10:32:15 AM by EYEONE »
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 10:25:30 AM »
The anti terror laws brought all the jobsworths out of the woodwork. My advise is:

1. Only shoot from a public place - this means the security guards have no rights over you at all - including taking pictures of them

2. If a police person asks what you are doing, explain simply, calmly and honestly. Offer to show them the pictures you are taking.

3. Dont take closeups of sensitive building unless you clear it first - some building are covered by a restraining order

4. No one has rights to confiscate equipment or delete images - so if anyone suggests other wise just politely say no - and start walking away - you cannot be detained unless they arrest you - this is a bad idea for a policeman who then opens them selves to prosecution for wrongfull arrest, which it almost certainly would be.

Wow.

I lived 4 year in the Middle East; to be precise in Israel. Because of the situation there (disturbed relation between Palestinians and Israeli's) - in my time there were a few busses that got blown up and suicide bombing in cafe/restaurants - it was normal that your gear was checked before entering the mall. By soldier with a machinegun. And, you were checked in a tough control when entering the country.
But nobody ever asked me anything about taking photos or refraining from taking them. I could make them everywhere. Even the US embassy in Tel Aviv, Gaza and Lebanon border.

I guess UK is not my place to be. Or, maybe it is not that extreme in the UK?

O yeah, to add here: Israel is a country that benefits of tourism. So it is aware of the fact that tourists come to visit. And, tourists bring camera's. That is what they do on vacation. It would not be smart for tourism to forbid taking photos. I met people that saved money allmost their entire lifetime just visit once in their life Jerusalem. And they want to keep memory of that. So they take photos
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 10:33:48 AM by candyman »
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

www.thornmillimages.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 10:25:30 AM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 11:06:39 AM »

Thanks, doc. This is useful.

Here's the ACLU advice for U.S. citizens making images in the U.S. This is just FYI and obviously doesn't apply to U.S. citizens in other countries.

http://www.aclu.org/free-speech/know-your-rights-photographers

read the following:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/photography_body_launches_rights_card_news_257561.html

We have a problem in our country with terror laws so if you are out taking pictures the police can stop you as they may think you are a terrorist.  This has happened on loads of occasions and the magazine actually has a print and keep card to present to the police if they ask you to stop taking photos.

Its silly really and disuades people from coming to the UK for tourism. It seems to happen more though in the London area than in the rest of the UK.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Picsfor

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 04:39:49 PM »
I do so love a Christmas story with a happy ending.

Section 44 of the Anti Terrorist legislation has been repealed following all the outcry from photographers of all sorts - which means now the plastic plods and police don't even have to issue you with a form notifying you that you've been checked out under said piece of legislation.

The simple fact is - any where that is private property, or deemed of significant interest to terrorists by the government and security can not photographed without written permission issued in triplicate.

We live a country in which only freedom of speech is guaranteed, and freedom of the Media to hack into your mail, phone calls, voice mail and health records -

There is nothing in UK laws that define a freedom to take a photograph!

If you think i sound cynical, please forgive me - but several years of this stuff is starting to wear a bit thin.

I wish some one would create a single web site where upon all details pertaining to the right to take photographs can be accessed for all of the world. Maybe i'll do it!

briansquibb

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 05:31:15 PM »

I guess UK is not my place to be. Or, maybe it is not that extreme in the UK?

Extreme - how on earth did you jump to that conclusion about the UK???

The UK is far more liberal and has more citizen rights than a lot of shoot first and ask afterwards countries. Dont assume that the exception is the rule!!

The UK has suffered more terrorism and for longer than the majority of countries and yet we are still one of the more tolerant countries - our police dont yet even carry firearms yet!

« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 05:33:37 PM by briansquibb »

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 08:27:37 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-15236758

I don’t think it really matters where you are in the world a security guard or police officer who doesn’t have any common sense is a danger to everyone DSLR or not.

We all need security guards and police officers but the point I’m trying to make is if they are so rubbish or ill trained at their job what chance of them getting it right when it really matters. These incidents just make me think ‘yeah you’d be good in a real crisis…not’

anyway just digging out my M9 and I’m off to the shops…… lol

NormanBates

• 6D
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 10:20:47 AM »
from that last link:
"We have a 'no photography' policy in the centre to protect the privacy of staff and shoppers and to have a legitimate opportunity to challenge suspicious behaviour if required.

"However, it is not our intention to - and we do not - stop innocent family members taking pictures."

that's as nasty as can be: "we're putting in place abusive laws and rules, but don't worry, we don't plan to enforce them - unless we don't like you"

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 10:20:47 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 11:04:34 AM »
from that last link:
"We have a 'no photography' policy in the centre to protect the privacy of staff and shoppers and to have a legitimate opportunity to challenge suspicious behaviour if required.

"However, it is not our intention to - and we do not - stop innocent family members taking pictures."

that's as nasty as can be: "we're putting in place abusive laws and rules, but don't worry, we don't plan to enforce them - unless we don't like you"

Owners of private property are entitled to make their own rules - this centre was private property. If you dont like the rules of the centre - go elsewhere. It is not as if the UK is short of places to photograph.

Come to my house and I will give you a good cup of tea and then we can walk round to the 3000 year old buriel ground, or to the 1000 year old castle. You wont see police, never mind get stopped.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 11:07:18 AM by briansquibb »

Ryusui

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 05:10:32 PM »
Come to my house and I will give you a good cup of tea and then we can walk round to the 3000 year old buriel ground, or to the 1000 year old castle. You wont see police, never mind get stopped.
Deal.
When are you sending my ticket?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 05:10:32 PM »