April 20, 2014, 05:58:01 AM

Author Topic: Tripod Collar Support?  (Read 2275 times)

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
Tripod Collar Support?
« on: December 07, 2011, 04:15:08 PM »
I'm not sure how to explain this. The Sigma "Bigma" lens comes with a tripod collar that doubles as a hand grip (recessed areas for fingers) that makes it easier to hand hold the lens (at least in theory).

Has anyone ever come across a similar accessory for Canon lenses? Either a special tripod collar, or even better, a pistol grip that can screw into the tripod collar to make it easier to hand-hold a large lens (like the 100-400)?
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

Tripod Collar Support?
« on: December 07, 2011, 04:15:08 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Tripod Collar Support?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 04:52:35 PM »
You can use the Kirk Super Grip Handle on any lens where you have an Arca Swiss-type lens plate.

Bushhawk also makes shoulder mounts with 1/4"-20 screws for the tripod collar foot.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 04:57:58 PM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 07:34:24 PM »
Thanks.

After posting this, I did some searching on the internets and found an $8 grip that looks like it will meet my needs. I'll give it a try and see. Your suggestions are good, but seemed like overkill for what I'm looking for: just something to make it a little easier to handhold a heavier lens when I don't feel like (or can't) carry a monopod.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 07:41:53 PM »
Thanks.

After posting this, I did some searching on the internets and found an $8 grip that looks like it will meet my needs. I'll give it a try and see. Your suggestions are good, but seemed like overkill for what I'm looking for: just something to make it a little easier to handhold a heavier lens when I don't feel like (or can't) carry a monopod.

I find that the Wimberley lens plates do that quite well (in addition to their intended use for tripod/monopod quick-release mounting.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 08:41:58 PM »
You can use that grip anyway that feels comfortable to you, but to me, that has finger grips for carrying the lens, and possibly the camera, usually upside-down.   I would only use it that way while walking. 

A large arca-swiss plate can certainly make the tripod collar larger and more grip able, but can be very expensive.

Have you tried a monopod?   :D  Seriously, a $15 monopod from walmart is not the best monopod on the market but will take 100% of the weight of your rig, and steady your shots.

shtfmeister

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 02:31:56 PM »
shtfmeister, great recommendation. That's pretty much what I ordered. Thanks.

TexPhoto, sorry, I guess I didn't explain myself very well. I have a Manfrotto monopod and most times that's perfect. But, I wanted something I could slip in the camera bag for when I don't have the monopod with me or don't feel like carrying it and need something to add just a little extra support for hand holding.

I want to experiment to see if it is easier and steadier than just cradling the lens in my left hand. I may find that it isn't, but figured for 10 bucks or so it was worth a try. (Which is why I'm not all that interested in the more expensive solutions).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 02:31:56 PM »

fotoray

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 06:44:44 PM »
[quote author=unfocused link=topic=2363.msg50451#msg50451 date=1323292508
Has anyone ever come across a similar accessory for Canon lenses? Either a special tripod collar, or even better, a pistol grip that can screw into the tripod collar to make it easier to hand-hold a large lens (like the 100-400)?
[/quote]

Try Really Right Stuff.  http://www.reallyrightstuff.com
5D Mk III | 7D | 20D | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 17-85 | EF 17-40 f/4L | EF 24-105 f/4L | EF 70-300 DO | EF-S 60 macro | EF 100L macro | 580EX II | RRS Series 2 tripod | plus many gadgets |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 06:44:44 PM »