April 16, 2014, 09:18:56 PM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* First Contest Finalists Up  (Read 16726 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
*UPDATE* First Contest Finalists Up
« on: December 08, 2011, 12:27:23 PM »
Lens Giveaway Contest! Thanks to everyone that entered the contest. The amount of entries exceeded all expectations. Combing through them all has proven to be one of the most daunting things I have done here at Canon Rumors. Congratulations to everyone who entered. Good luck to all the finalists!

The first finalists have been posted in the forum. Astrophotography and Underwater are the first categories up. I will be adding 2 categories a day.

Day 1 Finalists (December 8)

Day 2 Finalists (December 9)

Day 3 Finalists (December 10)

Day 4 Finalists (December 11)

Day 5 Finalists (December 16)

Day 6 Finalists (December 18)

Day 7 Finalists (December 20)

cr

« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 12:57:14 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

*UPDATE* First Contest Finalists Up
« on: December 08, 2011, 12:27:23 PM »

J. McCabe

Re: First Contest Finalists Up
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 12:37:25 PM »
Aren't the 3rd & 9th photos identical ?

jgroepper

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 12:53:47 PM »
Way to go to the finalists, really great photography.

Cyclops

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 01:08:41 PM »

same photographer, very similar photo, almost appears one is a long exposure, and the second one is several long exposures stacked

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 02:39:52 PM »
These are simply spectacular!  Congratulation to all the finalist!
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 03:16:42 PM »

I fixed that, they are different photos, but I didn't mean to post both.
canonrumors.com

RafaPolit

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • www.rafaelpolit.com
Re: *UPDATE* First Contest Finalists Up
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 06:00:25 PM »
Congrats to the first 20 finalist pictures!!! They are truly fantastic.  The interesting part is that 20 pictures does not equal 20 finalists in any way... special congrats to both 5D Freak and Waso, both with 4 pictures each out the 20 pictures selected.  You two alone have 40% of the pictures so far chosen.  Congrats to you both.

Best regards,
Rafa.
ps. I posted this on the wrong thread before, sorry.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 06:00:25 PM »

mkln

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 11:24:45 AM »
Wow. Some of the pics are breathtaking!!

real memories

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 12:26:05 PM »
wow canonrumors guy must be blind or just really was overwhelmed with this contest cause let me say the concert stuff i put up is way better then the ones he picked  this contest is a joke man really its not about whats good its about what he thinks is good i am not just speaking for me i am talking about all the better photos that were there by other photographers

WOW i am blown away on the picks some have no biz being in this
looks to me as this was rushed and mot well looked over

sorry man i have to call you out cause i think ya didnt really look at whats good and not photoshopped 

Just sayn

thepancakeman

• 7D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 12:43:19 PM »
Huh, that's kinda funny, because after going back and looking thru the submissions and pick on astro and underwater, I was about to compliment CR guy for how good his picks were.  With a possible exception or two, I think he was pretty right on.

And if you don't like the parameters of the contest, which are "CR guy narrows it down to 10" then pick a different contest.  Nothing says he has to have the same tastes as any of the rest of us.

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 01:03:25 PM »
wow canonrumors guy must be blind or just really was overwhelmed with this contest cause let me say the concert stuff i put up is way better then the ones he picked  this contest is a joke man really its not about whats good its about what he thinks is good i am not just speaking for me i am talking about all the better photos that were there by other photographers

sorry man i have to call you out cause i think ya didnt really look at whats good and not photoshopped 

Just sayn

Thanks for the constructive criticism. As with any judging, a lot will be subjective.

We can agree to disagree, hopefully you entered other categories and I can see more of your work.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 01:06:27 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

Ryusui

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 01:28:12 PM »

Just sayn
I thought the whole purpose of a photograph for art's sake was to try and capture the viewer?  To make them become interested in and involved with whatever you're showing them?  Basically, that's what the 40 finalist pictures so far have done...they reached out to Craig and specifically caught his attention and held it.  The problem, as he put it, is that this is really quite subjective.  No two people are going to have the exact same thoughts and feelings about an image, and certainly not everyone is going to even like it.

In the rules it was stated simply that "The best photograph at the end of the day will win the grand prize."  Not "the photo with the best display of technical understanding."  And I can guarantee you that there is not going to be one image that everyone on this forum agrees is "the best photograph."

BK

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 01:56:26 PM »
I'm really blown away by the entries. There's some amazing stuff in all of the categories and a really nice range.

As far as "real memories" goes maybe you should consider limiting the contest to ages 12 and up to reduce this kind of silliness.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 01:56:26 PM »

pakosouthpark

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 02:46:17 PM »
just not sure about having more than a pic of the same user in the same category - since it becomes a finalist..

could give a chance to others, even if they dont win, would be an achievement for themselves to be on the finalists..! and to keep on trying to take better pics!

just my 2 cents..

great pictures anyways!

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 03:55:45 PM »
just not sure about having more than a pic of the same user in the same category - since it becomes a finalist..

could give a chance to others, even if they dont win, would be an achievement for themselves to be on the finalists..! and to keep on trying to take better pics!

just my 2 cents..

great pictures anyways!

It has to be about the images, it can't be about who took them. I just picked the 10 I felt were the best. I checked names afterwards. There were a few images that it was obvious it was the same person.

I've started with the 4 least populated categories, and 3 of them are pretty specialized. I doubt we're going to see people getting multiple selections in something like Landscape, B&W or People.

It's one of those things that could be argued either way.
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 03:55:45 PM »