Gear Talk > Software & Accessories

Your Personal 7-Point System

(1/6) > >>

unfocused:
This is an offshoot of a thread that has been growing fast. The original post was about how "earth-shatteringly" disappointing the Canon 7D is. http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,2375.0.html

I was struck by how insightful some of the comments were and thought I'd start a new thread. It's named after Scott Kelby's book about his "7-Point" workflow for all images he processes. The point of this thread is simple.

Share your tricks and techniques. When you are processing a RAW image, what steps do you routinely use? What secrets are you willing to share with others? How do you reduce noise, improve sharpness, expand range, etc. etc.

There's a lot of knowledge out there. How about sharing?

awinphoto:
I'll bite... while this is a post raw filter, I love the topaz filters... from topaz denoise to adjust... adjust is good at giving a little pop and expanding DR and can even do faux HDR if you want to push it that far, Detail is very good at sharpening, denoise goes without saying... I use them when finishing an image to give a good photo a "wow" affect...

dr croubie:
I'm only just starting out with learning to process my RAW shots, i've got DPP working under linux and that's all I use so far (given up on UFRaw).
The way I work in general is:
- overall brightness
- ALO on/off
- white balance
- contrast/saturation/highlights/shadows etc
- sharpness normally stays at 3 (for 7D), sometimes up for iso100, sometimes down for an iso3200 shot
- then NR last.

Not hard-and-fast rules, but that's what I've found so far works best for me (i'm definitely going to keep watching this thread for better suggestions though, i'm nowhere near the level of others), and a lot of the time I go back and adjust things out of that order. NR generally goes last because contrast and brightness will affect the noise level, normally I do it in conjunction with playing with the sharpness slider.

Oh yeah, Step One:
- take the best shot possible with the camera because I hate PP and cropping, composition and lighting are the keys to better photos; they happen in the field, not on the monitor.

thepancakeman:

--- Quote from: awinphoto on December 09, 2011, 04:54:47 PM ---I'll bite... while this is a post raw filter, I love the topaz filters... from topaz denoise to adjust... adjust is good at giving a little pop and expanding DR and can even do faux HDR if you want to push it that far, Detail is very good at sharpening, denoise goes without saying... I use them when finishing an image to give a good photo a "wow" affect...

--- End quote ---

Excuse the ignorance, but...huh??   :o  I honestly have on idea what you're saying; can you expand/explain a little more?

And maybe for the thread as a whole, provide before and after examples so we can see the results?

awinphoto:

--- Quote from: thepancakeman on December 09, 2011, 05:01:35 PM ---
--- Quote from: awinphoto on December 09, 2011, 04:54:47 PM ---I'll bite... while this is a post raw filter, I love the topaz filters... from topaz denoise to adjust... adjust is good at giving a little pop and expanding DR and can even do faux HDR if you want to push it that far, Detail is very good at sharpening, denoise goes without saying... I use them when finishing an image to give a good photo a "wow" affect...

--- End quote ---

Excuse the ignorance, but...huh??   :o  I honestly have on idea what you're saying; can you expand/explain a little more?

And maybe for the thread as a whole, provide before and after examples so we can see the results?

--- End quote ---

Sure... Topaz Labs create the filters that are plug-ins for photoshop and I believe possibly lightroom/aperture/iphoto but you'll have to double check on those... Anywho, adjust allows you to do some real fun effects... You can do full single image HDR if you so choose or you can just add a little for a "pop"... I personally dont like to overdo it, but I found a before and after of an image on my website that you can see... They are scaled down for internet, all copyright reserved... 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version