September 03, 2014, 04:28:00 AM

Author Topic: PocketWizard FlexTT5 and 580exII RF Issues?  (Read 17084 times)

willrobb

Re: PocketWizard FlexTT5 and 580exII RF Issues?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 07:08:43 PM »
The Phottix Odin sounds great....the pocketwizards sound like an expensive hassle.

I've been using an ST-E2 transmitter for about 4 years now, 90% of the time it's been good, the only real problems have been in really strong light outside and when there is no line of sight. I got some cheap Phottix radio transmitters (can't remember the full name as I don't have them on me now) for when I don't have line of sight, they only work manually up to about 40m, but they work fine. It's a pain not having ETTL sometimes, so the Odin sounds like a good investment as my ST-E2 is on it's last legs.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 07:08:43 PM »

Freshprince08

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Double Take Photography
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 07:40:23 PM »
Hadn't heard about the Phottix Odin's before this thread, so thank you for the heads up... they look pretty good! Anyone know of any suppliers in the UK though? There are a few eBay listings, however all for Hong Kong supply.
www.double-take-photography.com | 5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | EF 35mm f1.4L | EF 50mm f1.4 | EF 85mm f1.8 | EF 100mm f2.8 Macro | EF 135mm f2.0L | EF 17-40 f4L | EF 24-70 f2.8L | Sigma 50mm f1.4 | Sigma 85mm f1.4 | 3 x 580EXii | 430EXii | BlackRapid RS-7 | BlackRapid RS-5 | ThinkTank Airport Security

92101media

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 08:49:14 PM »

Shooting TTL, while undeniably convenient, is analagous to shooting with auto white balance. Most of the times the camera will make a pretty good decision, but there are times when it won't ... and potentially worse, sometimes where it will, and sometimes where it won't (some overexposed, some underexposed), meaning simple batch processing of all photos is impossible, and each photo may have to be post-processed individually.

For fast-paced shooting, I use a 580EXII either on camera or handheld with an off camera shoe cord. Though I am sure the vast majority of the cheaper flashes are safe, in general, I feel slightly more comfortable with a genuine Canon flash attached physically (either hotshoe, or off camera cord) to my camera.

For shots where one has the time to set the shot up e.g. on set, multiple lights etc., I use cheap manual flashes & cheap RF radio triggers. Helps keep the cost down, and results are usually more consistent when using manually set flashes. Not necessarily perfectly exposed, but when not, it's more likely that batch processing will be a possibility. I have 2 genuine Canon flashes (for my 2 Canon bodies), and 4 cheap manual flashes, and 2 cheap RF master radio triggers (1 spare, or for use on 2nd body when using a dual body setup), and 4 cheap RF slave triggers for triggering them. When you want/need multiple flash heads & RF triggers, especially when you are shooting for fun as a hobby, not for pay, as I am, using cheaper manual flashes & RF triggers can mean substantial savings (or a more expansive setup for the same money). Having a different system from someone else can be an advantage, since they may use different frequencies, thereby resulting in less interference / accidental triggering if there are other photographers in the area. However, it can also be a disadvantage if something breaks or is left behind, and you can't lend to / borrow from others.

briansquibb

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 01:06:28 AM »
i have PW mini and flex's
junk
i have multiple 580 EX2's
more junk
they only work for me when they can see each other,
what's the point?

Operator
even more junk

kennykodak

• Rebel T5i
  • M.Photog.MEI.Cr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 09:12:05 AM »
junk
more junk
what's the point?

Operator
even more junk

i do this for a living, do you?

briansquibb

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 09:43:55 AM »
junk
more junk
what's the point?

Operator
even more junk

i do this for a living, do you?

I have no problem reading the manual and getting it working with 4 slaves.

Line of sight is the native Canon approach, Pocketwizzard is radio and doesn't need line of sight.

Just getting paid for something doesn't imply you are good.

kennykodak

• Rebel T5i
  • M.Photog.MEI.Cr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 10:27:57 AM »
Master of Photography PPA
Master of Electronic Imaging PPA
Photographic Craftsman PPA
international Print Juror, PPA
Lecturer on Photography & Photoshop, University of Cincinnati
24 features articles published "Professional Photographer"
-
i know how to read and i know what is unreliable.

my comments were directed at equipment and not a person...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 10:27:57 AM »

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 10:50:57 AM »
While I agree that ETTL for light setup isn't the most reliable, with the Phottix Odinb you just use the ETTL connection to remotely control the power-setting on the remote-flashes. Means, you don't have to run those 100 meters over to the flash to adjust it up one stop, you can do that from the transmitter on the camera, which is fantastic.

Also you have A, B, C groups to control, so if the subject is moving you can use a M-set flash output for background, and ETTL for the subject moving. And the ETTL output is actually pretty good. The mix and match makes it all the more versatile. And still, NO misfire, NO adjusting and tuning in software, NO trial and error. They just work.... Cannot stress enough what it means to have them work every time at every setting at any distance.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

briansquibb

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 10:55:15 AM »

You are right - I am sorry

So:
- the best speedlite is rubbish
- the most used radio transmitter/receiver is rubbish
- the combination of 580EXII and PocketWizzard only work line of sight
- the combination works for me and others

The only way to find out what is wrong is to go down the Sherlock Holmes route of elimination

Why do you say the 580EXII is junk?
Why do you say the PocketWizzards are junk?
Why do you think your opinion is contrary to most other people?
Why do you think your combination only works line of sight like the Canon system when everyone elses work on radio?

xROELOFx

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Fotograaf Alkmaar
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 10:56:26 AM »
Master of Photography PPA
Master of Electronic Imaging PPA
Photographic Craftsman PPA
international Print Juror, PPA
what does all that stuff mean?
1DX | 1D4 | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro | EF 500mm f/4L IS | Extender EF 1.4x III | Extender EF 2.0x III | Speedlite 580EX II | Speedlite 430EX II | Macro Twin Lite MT-24 EX

kennykodak

• Rebel T5i
  • M.Photog.MEI.Cr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2011, 01:52:35 PM »

You are right - I am sorry

So:
- the best speedlite is rubbish
- the most used radio transmitter/receiver is rubbish
- the combination of 580EXII and PocketWizzard only work line of sight
- the combination works for me and others

The only way to find out what is wrong is to go down the Sherlock Holmes route of elimination

Why do you say the 580EXII is junk?
Why do you say the PocketWizzards are junk?
Why do you think your opinion is contrary to most other people?
Why do you think your combination only works line of sight like the Canon system when everyone elses work on radio?

i was one of the first to get my hands on the pw's.  i was thrilled.  i went through many upgrades in firmware and long discussions with PW and Canon.  neither party was particularly helpful as they don't have control of the other party's parts.  i was sent some socks from PW to shield the RF on the 580's.  the PW's dropped shots at random even when used with Elinchrom in a fixed setting.  they will drop a shot when a lens is zoomed.  a back lit aisle shot is a sporting event to get it to fire repeatedly.  my frustration with the Canon 580 EX2 comes from many things.  starting trying to make work in the beginning with a Quantum twin turbo.  again the two sides don't talk to each other.  later it was determined that a custom function had to be set, and there was a correct sequence that had to be followed in start up between the flash and the turbo.  question, the original 580EX had slave and master on the on-off switch.  the current one has it removed and one must wade through settings using the zoom button.  not progress. the new Nikon has it on the switch like the old Canon.  the auxiliary outlet for a power cord is lightly glued inside the unit and has a poor connection, it is prone to break loose inside the unit and become useless.  i really wanted the PW to be a success but haven't been able to come to trust them yet.  the only thing i miss about my Nikon days is the flash units.
about the PPA titles:
Master of Photography; 13 national award winning print merits, 12 service.
Master of Electronic Imaging; 13 national award winning digital enhanced print merits, 12 service.
Photographic Craftsman, 13 speaking merits (either national, regional or state platforms) or articles published, 12 service.
International Print Juror, completing a week long course in Atlanta on judging international professional images.

Not trying to be an arrogant jerk, only trying to demostrate that i have some photographic background.

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2011, 04:26:16 PM »
I don't think KennyKodak's opinion is contrary to most people using the PW's Flex-system. Searching around the web reveals that sooooo many people have all kinds of issues with the Flex-system. And this isn't the 580's fault at all. Try them on camera or with any other trigger, only the Flex have all this issues. And that's one of the biggest issues, it's nothing consistent, it's 20.000 different faults that, at random, appear at the worst of times. Ranging from full dump blinding the subject to absolutely no rigging at all. Or worse, some speeds will work  others don't, not the same speed every time. Some power settings through the AC3 controller gave no power. Not syncing.

If you read the PocketWizard blog through facebook, you can even see that the poor sponsored pro's give you tips like that STUPID sock and also use the OC-e3 cable from canon to get distance from the trigger to the flash, come ooooon!! Those cables are expensive and it makes things a hassle to set up, you bought the PW's to get rid of the damn cables, no?

They even told me I needed to switch the pw's on in a specific order, for them to work, really?? I've done 30 firmwares, including BETA, I have had two sets of MATCHING hardware, still nothing works.

The only fantastic thing about Pocket Wizard is their customer service, they have been waaay kinder than I would have expected. Got a complete refund after three years of struggling.

briansquibb

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2011, 05:11:56 PM »
I don't think KennyKodak's opinion is contrary to most people using the PW's Flex-system. Searching around the web reveals that sooooo many people have all kinds of issues with the Flex-system. And this isn't the 580's fault at all.

I must be very lucky then - run with 1 x 580EXII and 4 x 580EX without any issues at all, including using them out of line of site.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2011, 05:11:56 PM »

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2011, 06:07:56 PM »
Yes, you are, and good for you! I'm also glad I don't have to deal with them anymore. And that I can now adjust power in "normal" values 1/1- 1/128 instead of plus minus 3.

What range do you get and where are you located?..be honest :P

briansquibb

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2011, 06:58:51 PM »
I am in UK

I only do about 40feet (the distance from the hide to the feeder)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2011, 06:58:51 PM »