April 18, 2014, 06:50:01 AM

Author Topic: PocketWizard FlexTT5 and 580exII RF Issues?  (Read 16473 times)

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: PocketWizard FlexTT5 and 580exII RF Issues?
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2011, 05:44:21 AM »
Good to know it works at least somewhere, you should send your stuff in and say to them that they need to make EVERY unit like yours that work.

With the Phottix I get full eTTL-communication at LEAST at 200 meters. I ran out of road when I was testing... I had maybe 20 meters with the pw's both with the OC-e3 cable and not... Even indoors... The very few times they triggered properly.
1dx, 17-40 L, 24-70 L II, 85 L II, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2011, 05:44:21 AM »

justsomedude

• 7D
  • Canon 5D3 and 6D
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2011, 12:45:37 PM »
Thanks for the input, everyone.  After doing some thorough reading/research, I opted for (3) FlexTT5s to complement my (2) 580exIIs.  Based on information available, and some DIY testing done by photogs about the internet, the FlexTT5 had much better range as the primary transmitter than did the MiniTT.

I got the units last week, and had some great results doing indoor testing.  See sample of my dad below...

The units were no more than 20' from my camera body during my in-home tests, and everything fired fine.  I decided to implement them on a wedding gig yesterday (church allows flash), and for the first 15 minutes, all worked well.  Even shooting 100' plus away from the back of the balcony with the FlexTT5s on stands behind concrete columns at the floor level (full soft shield + shoe were implemented), I got consistent triggering/ETTL.

Then - catastrophe hit.  I was struck with the total failure documented here on both of my 580's.  They started doing the full power dumps, with no regulated output whatsoever.  I was able to finish the ceremony with natural light without issue, and my assistant had two 580's that worked flawlessly for the portrait shoot and reception.  We worked them just as strenuously as my two 580's for the rest of the night, yet no failures occurred.  I found that to be a little odd.

I immediately called PocketWizard this morning to find out more about this failure of my 580's.  Based on the research done in the link previously provided, PocketWizard claims the 580's design is the fault of this failure.  The CS rep I spoke with did say that Canon typically covers the IGBT repair under warranty, and that the repair should basically eliminate the problem from ever occurring again.  It's still frustrating being without some of my primary portable lighting gear for a few weeks as I move into boudoir/Valentine's shoot season.

grrrr.

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2011, 04:34:10 PM »
I hate to say, I told you so, but I told you so....

And that will only be the beginning. If there was something seriously wrong with the 580's, how come they didn't fail until the Flex-system hit the market? Mine worked flawlessly from -05 until I bought the PW's, then it all went to hell. Not only didn't they work on the Flex, but they started to fail when I mounted them on my camera as well. And this hasn't happened with ANY of the super-cheap trigger's I bought off ebay when starting out, and the Phottix Odin have STILL not had ONE misfire of ANY sort. Why don't people listen?

Freshprince08

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Double Take Photography
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2011, 04:52:29 PM »
I hate to say, I told you so, but I told you so....

And that will only be the beginning. If there was something seriously wrong with the 580's, how come they didn't fail until the Flex-system hit the market? Mine worked flawlessly from -05 until I bought the PW's, then it all went to hell. Not only didn't they work on the Flex, but they started to fail when I mounted them on my camera as well. And this hasn't happened with ANY of the super-cheap trigger's I bought off ebay when starting out, and the Phottix Odin have STILL not had ONE misfire of ANY sort. Why don't people listen?

Still can't find a UK source for the Odins :(

They sound perfect for what I need!
www.double-take-photography.com | 5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | EF 35mm f1.4L | EF 50mm f1.4 | EF 85mm f1.8 | EF 100mm f2.8 Macro | EF 135mm f2.0L | EF 17-40 f4L | EF 24-70 f2.8L | Sigma 50mm f1.4 | Sigma 85mm f1.4 | 3 x 580EXii | 430EXii | BlackRapid RS-7 | BlackRapid RS-5 | ThinkTank Airport Security

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2011, 05:19:30 PM »
You find them on ebay  ;D

I bought my set from HongKong, they're the fastest and cheapest when it comes to shipping. Everything in order, they mark down the value so I pay less taxes. Never had anything trouble and I buy ALL my accesories from HK. I'm located in Norway (which is pretty far from HK) and it usually take 5-6 days from them to my mailbox, which is crazy, it takes waaaay longer shipping inside of Norway, ironically...

justsomedude

• 7D
  • Canon 5D3 and 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2011, 06:56:05 PM »
Why don't people listen?

Because nobody likes you.

Just kidding.   :D

Honestly, I have to say that after this experience I'd still prefer to stay with PocketWizard.  Their support for numerous brands of flash, including AlienBees, provides a tremendous amount of versatility and flexibility to photographers - and most importantly - me.  I've yet to find another ETTL radio trigger that is equaled in that regard.  Furthermore, in all their history, the 580exII is the only flash they've encountered repeated problems with.  To me, this information (in conjunction with their white paper) points more to the 580 as the culprit than the PW Flex.   

I'll probably be hanging around with them for a while, and more than likely just switching the make or model of flash units I choose to employ for off-camera use.

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2011, 03:50:01 AM »
Why don't people listen?

Because nobody likes you.

Just kidding.   :D

Honestly, I have to say that after this experience I'd still prefer to stay with PocketWizard.  Their support for numerous brands of flash, including AlienBees, provides a tremendous amount of versatility and flexibility to photographers - and most importantly - me.  I've yet to find another ETTL radio trigger that is equaled in that regard.  Furthermore, in all their history, the 580exII is the only flash they've encountered repeated problems with.  To me, this information (in conjunction with their white paper) points more to the 580 as the culprit than the PW Flex.   

I'll probably be hanging around with them for a while, and more than likely just switching the make or model of flash units I choose to employ for off-camera use.

Haha, funny stuff ;D Yeah, well, they only reason I tell things like they are, is because I know how insanely mad I get when things don't frikkin' work like they suppose to! And really, me saying that is just to give others a different opinion than what you get from a commercial for a product. Not all things are as good as they claim to be, just saying.

And what do you mean "supporting Alien Bees" ? I haven't used them, but are they ETTL? I didn't think so? The Odin supports ALL studio-flashes, and ETTL is restricted to Canon, JUST like PW's, so I don't get that point. The Odin is the only trigger that works straight out of the box down to 1/8000s with my Elinchromes and other studio-flashes. Did you find those sync-cables in your PW box? nope! That was extra. And you need soft shield, blocking the display, and af-assist, oh wait, pw don't support that  ::) and I see people hanging their PW's from a Canon OC-e3 cable to get distance from the flash, wtf... I mean, I'm an Apple fan, but this seems much like the Iphone-diciples, they want an Iphone4 no matter what it doesn't do. Android does everything better, but I want an Iphone, why? because it's an iphone... I choose stability over a brand name, just me I guess.....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2011, 03:50:01 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2011, 05:40:19 AM »
I dont shoot in a studio

I shoot typically 3 or 4 flash setups

I shoot with the flash some distance from me so as not to scare the wildlife ( about 30/40ft)

I also shoot weddings the usual flash mods

I also shoot macro with 3 or 4 flash for static items ( X layout) , 2 x 580 for on the camera dynamic shots

I shoot exclusively wireless

I have had no problem with the FlexTT5/MiniTT1 so far

Maui5150

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2011, 08:46:48 AM »
I have never personally used an Odin, so I can't really comment on their abilities.  I can say that there is noone locally to me or with 2000 miles that carries them that I can find.  I see no authorized dealers or stores that stock them in the Eastern US or Canada.

As for Pocket Wizard and cables, mine cost me $4.99 so not really a big deal

Availability is a large point for me.  I may do a lot of buying online, but I also buy brands that I can also get locally or same day if I need a replacement. 

Now if Odin starts getting dealerships in the US or Canada, then maybe I will consider them.  So far Pocket Wizards have served me well.  They are plentiful, I get them cheaper than I can buy Odins, and if I am traveling and have an issue, loss, etc., I can easily purchase a replacement or borrow one.

The only issue that some are getting with the 580 EX IIs is do to Canon and their frequencies, not the Pocket Wizards.  I have had no issues with either of my 580s or 430s and working with them and my Photogenics. 

The other thing to note about not needing shielding with Odin's, that is because the frequencies that are used.  In fact, while you may not have run into problems do to the frequency spread, since the US uses different ranges for other devices, it can be likely that the Odins may suffer from interference from other devices.

Pocket Wizard will have specific frequency ranges based upon location for this exact reason, and from what I have seen, Odin is only a one size fits all.  This also may be a reason, why after 4 years, they seem to only be available in Europe, and not carried by North American or Canadian markets. 

justsomedude

• 7D
  • Canon 5D3 and 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2011, 10:35:39 AM »
Haha, funny stuff ;D Yeah, well, they only reason I tell things like they are, is because I know how insanely mad I get when things don't frikkin' work like they suppose to! And really, me saying that is just to give others a different opinion than what you get from a commercial for a product. Not all things are as good as they claim to be, just saying.

And what do you mean "supporting Alien Bees" ? I haven't used them, but are they ETTL? I didn't think so? The Odin supports ALL studio-flashes, and ETTL is restricted to Canon, JUST like PW's, so I don't get that point. The Odin is the only trigger that works straight out of the box down to 1/8000s with my Elinchromes and other studio-flashes. Did you find those sync-cables in your PW box? nope! That was extra. And you need soft shield, blocking the display, and af-assist, oh wait, pw don't support that  ::) and I see people hanging their PW's from a Canon OC-e3 cable to get distance from the flash, wtf... I mean, I'm an Apple fan, but this seems much like the Iphone-diciples, they want an Iphone4 no matter what it doesn't do. Android does everything better, but I want an Iphone, why? because it's an iphone... I choose stability over a brand name, just me I guess.....

Viggo, I'm just saying that it works with my Alien Bee setup.  See the adapter here...

http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/transmitter_receiver/ac9%20alienbees%20adapter/

I didn't mean to offend you, or your choice of Phottix.  I'm sure it's a fine product for you.

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2011, 05:29:44 PM »
@ Maui5150

I bought mine from HK so the asian market has it available at least. And the Odin is brand new, so that could be a reason.

For them not to include cables that cost retail 5 bucks isn't annoying and stupid?

Bluetooth is also a VERY common frequency used all over, does it interfere? Nope, because you make your own individual code. Same as when I use my Power point presenter and mouse at the same time, they both run on 2,4 gHz like the Odin, and 400 other people in the same room use the same 2,4, no one is interfering with each other.

I'm glad the Wizards work for a couple of you guys, but if you look around, further than the nose, there are PLENTY of people who can't get them to work. For instance , join their page on Facebook and read the wallposts there a week or so, you see all kinds of different issues.....

I'm not telling you what to buy or no to buy. I just posted this because the OP had issues, and so did I , and they never got sorted, so perhaps people don't have to spend three years getting them to work, but can actually get something that works straight away and always....

Maui5150

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2011, 07:05:37 PM »
I am glad they are available in the Asian Market, but I have not seen a single retailer in North America and many of the other markets. 

As for the cables, doesn't bother me in the least.  I have seen many different jacks on strobes, so makes it easier to allow the end consumer to buy what they need.

PC Terminal.  1/4" Phono.   1/8" mono.  Elinchrom?  Metz?  There are a few others. 

Bluetooth in general is a short distance connection.  It does avoid some interference with its handshake protocol, but I also have found varying results with my connection and reliability of say my cell in my car alone, compared to in a crowded room. 

The 2.4gHZ band is very crowded.  My old phone and wi-fi router both were at one time 2.4 and I used to lose my connection on my laptop during calls.  And again.  It all depends on the scenario and set up but long and short, you are more likely to get interference from a phone, laptop, router or other device on the 2.4 ghz band.  It is also one of the reason phones and other longer distance devices started to promote the 5.8 ghz and DECT bands as having "less interference"  because there are less devices using them. 

As far as people go and "complaints"... How many people are using Pocket Wizards vs how many people are complaining?  Using Hard Drives for example... If you go out to most techincal/computer websites and look at reviews, you will see that a great many HDs seem like pretty much crap with people reporting half of the purchased ones DOA.   I am fairly confident if Phottix had as large of an installation base as Pocket Wizard, you would see just as many "issues" posted on their page, maybe even more so, because to me, especially over the 2.4 gHZ band, any distance firing is likely to run into issues.  Also one of the reasons why Pocket Wizard will publish up to 500m+ where Odin is 100m+  I trust the Pocket Wizard Band over the 2.4 over distance.

And a correction on the original poster.  They had NO ISSUES.  They were tire-kicking and and looking for feedback because they had "read some things" about interference.

"Does anyone here have experience with PWs FlexTT5 and the 580exII?  I'm looking at moving into remote ETTL, but have seen some reviews where range was severely limited due to high RF interference from the 580. "

I for one am always welcome to competition.  The end result are better products at cheaper prices.  If the Odin ever makes its way into North America, I will be happy to test or watch the feedback... but I also expect to see threads like - "Does anyone else have problems with Odin and XBox Connect? - My neighobors XBox keeps interfering with my studio"

briansquibb

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2011, 07:07:22 PM »
For instance , join their page on Facebook and read the wallposts there a week or so

... and their page is ?.......

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2011, 07:07:22 PM »

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2011, 04:06:10 PM »
For instance , join their page on Facebook and read the wallposts there a week or so

... and their page is ?.......

Here you go!

http://www.facebook.com/pocketwizards

If nothing else, some skilled photogs there I see as a great inspiration...

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2011, 04:13:57 PM »

Also one of the reasons why Pocket Wizard will publish up to 500m+ where Odin is 100m+  I trust the Pocket Wizard Band over the 2.4 over distance.

I just lol'd, come on I dare you to set a 580 exII on a Flex TT5 at the finishline of a 1/4 mile drag-strip and the camera at the start and show me it triggers on full ETTL. No cheating... 500m+ no. way! The PlusII's are 1600 ft, but the Flex, nope!

Here's a link to Pw's own page, and how to improve range:

http://www.pocketwizard.com/inspirations/technology/range/

Have some fun reading while I'll go and shoot like this:

http://photobyviggo.com/random/odin.jpg

That's at 91mm focal, and ETTL-mode, this is probably 20 meters from the end of the parking lot I tested at, I still went over the road at the other side and put a tree in the line of sight, still triggered perfectly.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 03:48:35 AM by Viggo »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2011, 04:13:57 PM »