October 20, 2014, 09:37:35 AM

Author Topic: 7D + 10-22mm or 5D III + 16-35mm L II?  (Read 18609 times)

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
7D + 10-22mm or 5D III + 16-35mm L II?
« on: December 10, 2011, 05:59:38 PM »
I recently purchased a 7D, which I'm quite happy with so far. I do a lot of nature work, landscapes when I have the time to get out and find them, wildlife and birds most of the time, with a variety of other macro, still life, and even portrait work at times. I've been holding out for a 5D III, however it seems that its release is still quite some way off into the future. I also currently own the EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II lens, which I've used with my 450D for a while, however it does limit me on the wide end...essentially capturing an FoV similar to that of the 24-70 on FF.

My question is, should I grab the EF-S 10-22mm lens for the 7D, and use that for landscapes? I've heard that lens is optically really great, but I've also heard it has a fair amount of distortion at the wide end. Should I save my money bank it for the 5D III and use my 16-35mm for that kind of work?

canon rumors FORUM

7D + 10-22mm or 5D III + 16-35mm L II?
« on: December 10, 2011, 05:59:38 PM »

RayS2121

Re: 7D + 10-22mm or 5D III + 16-35mm L II?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 06:37:11 PM »
16-35 II on a cropped sensor is a good match, covers the normal range, and as many people will tell you, 16-35II comes into its own on a FF.  10-22 is a good lens from what I see, but it also seems to be a tad expensive and limits you to the 7D. If you really want to bag the lower end of 24-70mm zoom on the cropped sensor then I would actually recommend Samyang 14mm which would be effective 22mm on the corpped sensor. Yes it is a manual lens, but the image quality is stricking on the 5D2 for the price and the distortion is easily fixable under LR3. On 7D it may potentially perform even better. And above all, it is cheap. It happens to be the only non Canon Lens I own. Cheers.

Edit: I see it listed for about ~$375 under different branding, and you can use it on FF!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 06:47:04 PM by RayS2121 »

Maui5150

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
Trade you my 10-22 for your 16-25.  I just jumped up from a 550d to a 5DMKII.

I love the 10-22 on a crop, but I am moving to FF now so have been in the market for either a 16-35 MKI  or MKII.

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 07:00:27 PM »
Why didn't you get the 5d2 for your 16-35? For landscape you really cant't beat the 5d2, 1d X would be the only better option, and as I understand, a tad over budget.

I would get rid of the 7d and get  5d2 and smack the 16-35 on it...
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

jai5w4

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 07:05:52 PM »
I continue to enjoy the consistently sharp, accurate photos coming off the EF-S 10-22mm on my 7D.  Definitely don't regret buying it. 

Will I eventually upgrade to a full-frame?  Almost definitely.  But for the foreseeable future I have a combination with which I'm more than happy.  Worth the price/results.

Richard8971

• 7D
  • "There is no spoon" - Neo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 08:29:40 PM »
5D III? Do you have some insight into the exact specs of the camera that the rest of us would die to know? I would say that until an announcment is ACTUALLY made, I wouldn't waste my time waiting for the next camera to come along. Why? Well, as I mentioned in another post, Canon has taken allot of people by suprize by LOWERING the MP of their flagship EOS. I can bet that bunches of people were expecting a very high MP powerhouse. Instead we got a lower MP camera than the one it replaces. Yes certain features are outstanding, but some people (many of them future customers) LOVE the size of the MP of their cameras! (bigger is better, right?) I know for a fact it will bother a bunch of people to "downgrade" their equipment to a lower MP body, regardless of better features.

The 5D III is still a very unknown camera at this point and if/when it will be announced is still just as vauge. The EOS bodies that Canon offers right now are still very much top of the line and I would imagine any of them would perform flawlessly for your needs. Stick with your 7D.

As far as lenses go, they are both great lenses that will give you outstanding images on either body. That's a tough call...

D

BTW...I personally believe that good glass and knowing how to USE your equipment is far better than the size of the MP of your sensor.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 08:43:34 PM by Richard8971 »
Canon 5D2, 7Dv2.03, 50D, 40D, T1i, XTi...XT (& lenses, flahses), various powershots... You get the idea... I have a problem. :)

Wife shoots Nikon, D7000, D7100, (lenses and flashes)... we constantly tease each other that our cameras are better than each others!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 08:46:36 PM »
You might have a long wait for that 5DIII...

Not sure where you heard the 10-22mm has bad distortion at the wide end. Yes, it has some - but actually a bit less than the 16-35 II when that EF lens is used on APS-C (despite the larger image circle - on FF the 16-35 II has a lot of barrel distortion at the wide end).

I really liked the 10-22mm on my 7D, and sold that lens only after getting the 5DII and 16-35 II (for my uses of that lens, the barrel distortion isn't a big problem, and I have the TS-E 24mm II if I want straight lines at the edges.

I'm a firm believer in getting the lens you need/want for the camera(s) you have.  After about a year of use, I sold the 10-22mm for $50 less than I paid new from Amazon, and that was before the early 2011 price increases, today I'd have sold it for a profit.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 08:46:36 PM »

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 09:19:50 PM »
The 10-22 is a very good lens. But in terms of corner to corner sharpness, the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 is better. Landscape work is typically stopped down and you can honestly produce great prints using either. But if you're after every last bit of sharpness and fine detail, the Tokina can't be beat right now.

I would say the 10-22 is a close match, in terms of IQ, for the 17-40L on FF. The Tokina is an easy match for the 16-35L II on FF.

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 09:27:44 PM »
16-35 II on a cropped sensor is a good match, covers the normal range, and as many people will tell you, 16-35II comes into its own on a FF.  10-22 is a good lens from what I see, but it also seems to be a tad expensive and limits you to the 7D. If you really want to bag the lower end of 24-70mm zoom on the cropped sensor then I would actually recommend Samyang 14mm which would be effective 22mm on the corpped sensor. Yes it is a manual lens, but the image quality is stricking on the 5D2 for the price and the distortion is easily fixable under LR3. On 7D it may potentially perform even better. And above all, it is cheap. It happens to be the only non Canon Lens I own. Cheers.

Edit: I see it listed for about ~$375 under different branding, and you can use it on FF!

In all honesty, I actually prefer manual lenses for landscape work. On the top of my list for landscape stuff are the 24mm f/3.5 tilt-shift lens and possibly the 45mm or 90mm f/2.8 tilt shift lens, as all of Canon's TS-E lenses are manual focus. I'm curious what branding the Samyang is listed as? I've found Rokinon 14mm lenses for around the same price...is that the same brand?

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 09:29:57 PM »
Why didn't you get the 5d2 for your 16-35? For landscape you really cant't beat the 5d2, 1d X would be the only better option, and as I understand, a tad over budget.

Having actually done this test (7D v 5D2, 24" landscape prints) I can tell you that nobody can tell the difference or tell which print comes from which at low to mid ISO. Out of camera there are some small differences between the two at low ISO, but those differences do not survive post work or printing. I've even challenged people with 100% unlabeled crops, after post processing, only to have them completely fail to say which came from where.

Both make excellent 24" landscape prints, and very good 30" prints, and that's about the limit for critically reviewed landscape prints (i.e. close viewing; judging on fine detail). I highly doubt the 1Dx will change this for landscapes since the limiting factor here is the resolution of fine detail like distant foliage.

I'm basically in the same boat as jrista. The 5D2 is a great camera, but for my uses offers me nothing over the 7D. Until Canon breaks 30 MP in FF I can't see any reason for spending the money.

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 09:30:34 PM »

I would get rid of the 7d and get  5d2 and smack the 16-35 on it...

Its a pretty expensive camera, and I don't have unlimited funds. I also have more opportunities to shoot wildlife and birds, and the 7D with its AF and cropped sensor are much more useful for that purpose. I've been at the limits of my previous 450D for some time, and a 5D II with it gimped AF wouldn't really help all that much in the area of capturing flying birds or running animals. Long term I intend to own and keep both the 7D and 5D III (or whatever Canon ends up releasing), so the 7D isn't going anywhere.

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 09:36:19 PM »
5D III? Do you have some insight into the exact specs of the camera that the rest of us would die to know? I would say that until an announcment is ACTUALLY made, I wouldn't waste my time waiting for the next camera to come along. Why? Well, as I mentioned in another post, Canon has taken allot of people by suprize by LOWERING the MP of their flagship EOS. I can bet that bunches of people were expecting a very high MP powerhouse. Instead we got a lower MP camera than the one it replaces. Yes certain features are outstanding, but some people (many of them future customers) LOVE the size of the MP of their cameras! (bigger is better, right?) I know for a fact it will bother a bunch of people to "downgrade" their equipment to a lower MP body, regardless of better features.

The 5D III is still a very unknown camera at this point and if/when it will be announced is still just as vauge. The EOS bodies that Canon offers right now are still very much top of the line and I would imagine any of them would perform flawlessly for your needs. Stick with your 7D.

As far as lenses go, they are both great lenses that will give you outstanding images on either body. That's a tough call...

D

BTW...I personally believe that good glass and knowing how to USE your equipment is far better than the size of the MP of your sensor.

I think a lot of people were surprised AND happy by Canon's 1D X sensor. I've only been doing photography for a few years, but people have been asking camera manufacturers to focus on ISO performance, lowering noise, etc. instead of increasing MP for years. I think Canon made a brilliant move, and I think a hell of a lot of people will be extremely satisfied with their new flagship camera.

Regarding the 5D III, I don't have any special information...however I do know that Canon isn't done deciding what it will be, and it still sounds like a higher-MP sensor is one of the options. I'd also still be happy with a great 18mp sensor if it got most of the capabilities the 1D X has. Given that I shoot a lot of wildlife action, the 7D will more than hold me over for most of my photography for the time being. I like landscapes, however I have fewer opportunities to shoot them. I've also been exploring other kinds of photography such as still life scenes and macro, which the 7D is fine for. I'm debating whether to get a wider angle zoom for it to tide me over until the 5DIII is released (which I figure is 8-12 months away at least), or simply be happy with my 16-35 and banking all my money.

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 09:38:07 PM »
You might have a long wait for that 5DIII...

Not sure where you heard the 10-22mm has bad distortion at the wide end. Yes, it has some - but actually a bit less than the 16-35 II when that EF lens is used on APS-C (despite the larger image circle - on FF the 16-35 II has a lot of barrel distortion at the wide end).

I really liked the 10-22mm on my 7D, and sold that lens only after getting the 5DII and 16-35 II (for my uses of that lens, the barrel distortion isn't a big problem, and I have the TS-E 24mm II if I want straight lines at the edges.

I'm a firm believer in getting the lens you need/want for the camera(s) you have.  After about a year of use, I sold the 10-22mm for $50 less than I paid new from Amazon, and that was before the early 2011 price increases, today I'd have sold it for a profit.

The TS-E 24 II is on the top of my list for landscape lenses. I was holding out for the 5D III, but I may get that instead of the 10-22, as I really want more movements and manual focus for landscape work.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 09:38:07 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 09:40:20 PM »
... a 5D II with it gimped AF wouldn't really help all that much in the area of capturing flying birds or running animals. Long term I intend to own and keep both the 7D and 5D III (or whatever Canon ends up releasing), so the 7D isn't going anywhere.

That is my current usage (although I'll be replacing my 5DII with a 1D X).  You do need to consider whether you'll carry the 5DII when you're hiking around to shoot birds/wildlife.  I usually prefer not to, which is why I kept the EF-S 17-55mm.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

RayS2121

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 09:41:33 PM »
@Jrista 

Yes, Samyang is also branded as Rokinon and Bower among others though in the US market Rokinon is the easiest to find. I love the sharpness across the field and fast at f/2.8. Just wish my eyes were better for the manual focus :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 09:41:33 PM »