October 26, 2014, 12:05:17 AM

Author Topic: New lens: need filter advice  (Read 9322 times)

gwertheim

New lens: need filter advice
« on: December 11, 2011, 12:49:30 AM »
Hello All,

I recently picked up the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Telephoto Lens (I couldn't afford the L :( ) and I want to protect the glass. Can anyone recommend a good quality clear screw in fliter so i won't scratch the glass on the lens

canon rumors FORUM

New lens: need filter advice
« on: December 11, 2011, 12:49:30 AM »

MazV-L

Re: New lens: need filter advice
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 01:45:24 AM »
Hoya HD!

michael6liu

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 01:54:32 AM »
I use Hoya s-hmc for non-L and B+W mrc for L glasses.

Ryusui

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 04:06:18 AM »
I use Hoya s-hmc for non-L and B+W mrc for L glasses.
+1

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 10:15:22 AM »
I use B+W MRC UV filters on all my lenses; the newer B+W Nano would also be good.  The Hoya HD is equivalent, apparently the Hoya H-SMC is a bit harder to clean. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

LuCoOc

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
7D - BG
3 Ls - 1 EF - 2 EF-s - 2 M42s
430EX II - YN560-III

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 02:21:21 PM »
I have B&W and Helicon, but seldom use them.  If I were to go out in a dust storm or where mud or dirt was a likely possibility, I'd put one on.

I really should sell some of them, I have a ton of filters that I bought when I first started and before I realized that I liked the sharpness better without them. I keep them because I might need them, but I have too many duplicates.  Many have come from used film cameras and lenses.  If they are Hoya or B&W I hang on to them.  I even have a 3 pc set of 77mm Nikon branded filters that came with a used Canon 17-40mm lens!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 02:21:21 PM »

gwertheim

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 12:22:35 AM »
I usually just shoot inside but i think i'll go with the hoya linked below

http://www.vistek.ca/store/CameraFilters/246065/hoya-58mm-protectors-hd.aspx

Edwin Herdman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 06:52:24 PM »
I would save my money.  Filters don't protect the lens from falls; only splashes and dust / particles.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 04:30:21 PM »
Filters don't protect the lens from falls; only splashes and dust / particles.

The OP didn't ask about falls, but rather about scratches.  Granted, a hood should be the first line of defense, but on wide lenses the hood doesn't offer much protection, and even with the deep round hood of the 100-400, I've had branches poke inside the hood while hiking.

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 05:02:26 PM »
i agree with using filters to protect your glass but i had a paid family shoot today inside a nice warm house i knew there was little chance of anything bad happening so i removed the filter for the best possible quality but outdoors keep it on is what i do :D

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 05:27:57 PM »
I would save my money.  Filters don't protect the lens from falls; only splashes and dust / particles.

It depends where you go to shoot. You'll find that the overwhelming majority of professional photographers leave a UV filter (or similar) on every lens they own. Something they don't mind wiping down with their shirt. Something that can be quickly replaced for under $100. Something that experience has shown them to be a very smart default position.

Run a series of tests with a clean, unscratched good quality UV filter. Filter on/filter off. You'll be very hard pressed to see any difference in your files. Wear your protection!

Filters have saved lenses from damage on multiple occasions for me. A bump against the filter thread on a lens without a hood can damage the thread more easily than you might imagine. I've bent and trashed filters then been able to unscrew them and been relieved to find the filter thread undamaged. The filter rim took the hit. For this reason I only use the slim filters on my ultra-wides. (vignetting)

Front filters are not always practical or possible such as on the 300mm f/2.8is. However, Canon knows that photographers will need to wipe these down. The front glass on the 300 is in fact relatively  inexpensive plain glass, replacable by Canon for a price, but a very small percentage of the cost of a new front element.

Paul Wright
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 05:34:04 PM by pwp »

m3tek44

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 05:33:30 PM »
Sorry to piggy back on your questions but I purchased this week 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS w/ B+W 77mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer with Multi-Resistant Coating but I noticed I have option to add one additional filter such as UV filter.  My question is can I use B+W 77mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer with Multi-Resistant Coating or do I need purchase another B+W 77mm Clear UV Haze with Multi-Resistant Coating and both?  Thanks for your input!

5D Mark III/60D (sold) /  24-70mm f2.8L / 16-35mm f2.8L II / 70-200mm f2.8L IS II/ 85mm f1.8/ 580EX II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 05:33:30 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 06:21:42 PM »
Sorry to piggy back on your questions but I purchased this week 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS w/ B+W 77mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer with Multi-Resistant Coating but I noticed I have option to add one additional filter such as UV filter.  My question is can I use B+W 77mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer with Multi-Resistant Coating or do I need purchase another B+W 77mm Clear UV Haze with Multi-Resistant Coating and both?  Thanks for your input!

Good choice on lens and circular polarizer (CPL)!

You can and should use the CPL by itself.  When it's on the lens it will protect it (which is the reason to use a UV/clear filter), but you shouldn't leave the CPL on all the time, because it costs you ~1.75 stops of light.

For a protection filter, dSLRs are basically insensitive to UV wavelengths (unlike film), so there's no difference between UV and clear - get whichever is cheapest.

Hope that helps...

branden

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 06:27:57 PM »
Almost all my filters are B+W, but the past few Tiffen filter's I've picked up have been very impressive. I keep my UV filters off unless I'm doing something in inclement conditions.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 06:27:57 PM »