July 29, 2014, 03:14:09 PM

Author Topic: New lens: need filter advice  (Read 9065 times)

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: New lens: need filter advice
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 07:10:24 PM »
Sorry to piggy back on your questions but I purchased this week 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS w/ B+W 77mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer with Multi-Resistant Coating but I noticed I have option to add one additional filter such as UV filter.  My question is can I use B+W 77mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer with Multi-Resistant Coating or do I need purchase another B+W 77mm Clear UV Haze with Multi-Resistant Coating and both?  Thanks for your input!

You're unlikely to leave the CPL on the lens except for those occasions when you do need it. Leave it in the bag. What you do need to leave permanently on your lens is a UV or clear filter. Never stack filters.  Take the UV/clear off when you need the CPL.

Paul Wright

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 07:10:24 PM »

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 07:13:48 PM »
I use B+W Clear MRC 007 or UV Haze (which ever one is cheaper when I buy them) for all my lens.  I also have B+W circular polarizing filter which I simply stack on the other firlter when I need them.
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

m3tek44

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2011, 07:33:01 PM »
Sorry to piggy back on your questions but I purchased this week 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS w/ B+W 77mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer with Multi-Resistant Coating but I noticed I have option to add one additional filter such as UV filter.  My question is can I use B+W 77mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer with Multi-Resistant Coating or do I need purchase another B+W 77mm Clear UV Haze with Multi-Resistant Coating and both?  Thanks for your input!

Good choice on lens and circular polarizer (CPL)!

You can and should use the CPL by itself.  When it's on the lens it will protect it (which is the reason to use a UV/clear filter), but you shouldn't leave the CPL on all the time, because it costs you ~1.75 stops of light.

For a protection filter, dSLRs are basically insensitive to UV wavelengths (unlike film), so there's no difference between UV and clear - get whichever is cheapest.

Hope that helps...

neuroanatomist.... Thank you for your input!! I have Big fan of Canonrumors and I've seen MANY of your comments in forums which is VERY knowledgeable.   One of reason why I purchased 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS was your feedback from different forums so thank you!!! I am LOVING this lens.

I am still amateur to photography and I can use some of your inputs.  Can you explain what you mean by "because it costs you ~1.75 stops of light."  Thank you!!!
5D Mark III/60D (sold) /  24-70mm f2.8L / 16-35mm f2.8L II / 70-200mm f2.8L IS II/ 85mm f1.8/ 580EX II

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 08:07:23 PM »
Can you explain what you mean by "because it costs you ~1.75 stops of light."  Thank you!!!

Glad to help!  Just hold the CPL up to the light - it's dark like sunglasses, meaning it's blocking some of the light.  One stop of light is a halving or doubling of the intensity. That's the scale used in photography - aperture, shutter speed, and ISO are all adjusted in stops (sometimes 1/3 or 1/2 stops). 

So, if you use the CPL when light isn't bright, you might be needlessly using too slow a shutter speed or too high an ISO.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

m3tek44

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2011, 08:13:23 PM »
Can you explain what you mean by "because it costs you ~1.75 stops of light."  Thank you!!!

Glad to help!  Just hold the CPL up to the light - it's dark like sunglasses, meaning it's blocking some of the light.  One stop of light is a halving or doubling of the intensity. That's the scale used in photography - aperture, shutter speed, and ISO are all adjusted in stops (sometimes 1/3 or 1/2 stops). 

So, if you use the CPL when light isn't bright, you might be needlessly using too slow a shutter speed or too high an ISO.

Got it!!! Thank you!! I'm sure I will have more questions in the future,,, For now I'll play with my new toy.   ;D
5D Mark III/60D (sold) /  24-70mm f2.8L / 16-35mm f2.8L II / 70-200mm f2.8L IS II/ 85mm f1.8/ 580EX II

D.Sim

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 05:54:06 AM »

For a protection filter, dSLRs are basically insensitive to UV wavelengths (unlike film), so there's no difference between UV and clear - get whichever is cheapest.

Hope that helps...

Agree on the fact that dSLRs are insensitive to UV... getting a "UV" filter is more for protecting the front element than anything else now.

On the "cheapest" though... Using ANY filter will degrade IQ, but on better, higher quality filters there is less degradation. If you were to say using the cheaper choice between two similar filters, the only difference being one is just a normal "clear" filter, and the other a "UV" filter, yes, by all means go for the cheaper option, but if one is cheaper because of lower quality/less coatings... you're gonna be sacrificing IQ there.

Of course, taking the filter off when the situation allows it will be good too. ;)

Oh, also, most L lenses "require" a filter to be screwed in to "complete the weather sealing", so something interesting to note while you're outdoors.

Maui5150

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 08:10:09 AM »
Only issues with "Stacking" filters is it can cause vignetting. 

I also heard the the B+W CPL MRC can introduce a bit of this as well and have been debating going to the slim for my CPL instead to negate this

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 08:10:09 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 09:29:35 AM »
Oh, also, most L lenses "require" a filter to be screwed in to "complete the weather sealing", so something interesting to note while you're outdoors.

That's actually debatable for 'most' L lenses.  A filter is definitely required to complete the sealing of a few lenses - 3 current lenses, to be exact. Lenses with exposed internally moving focus or zoom elements have that requirement listed in the manuals - 16-35L II, 17-40L, and 50L.  A filter is definitely not required for the super telephoto lenses, since they do not take front filters, but they are weather sealed lenses.  For all of the other L series lenses, there's no 'official' statement that a filter is required to complete the sealing. However, in an email exchange with Chuck Westfall he recommended using a filter.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 11:57:28 AM »

I also heard the the B+W CPL MRC can introduce a bit of this as well and have been debating going to the slim for my CPL instead to negate this

Actually, that depends on the lens being used.  Some time back, I tested several lenses for the effect of stacking filters on vignetting.  Surprisingly, many lenses can tolerate a pretty thick stack of filters.  For example, the 35L at f/1.4 shows no mechanical vignetting even with 3 F-Pro filters stacked on it. On the other hand, the 16-35L II will vignette with an XS-Pro plus F-Pro, meaning a standard CPL will vignette, as will an XS-Pro with a slim CPL stacked, but the slim CPL alone will not.

Here are the lenses that I tested, and the results:

sheedoe

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 12:56:56 PM »

Actually, that depends on the lens being used.  Some time back, I tested several lenses for the effect of stacking filters on vignetting.  Surprisingly, many lenses can tolerate a pretty thick stack of filters.  For example, the 35L at f/1.4 shows no mechanical vignetting even with 3 F-Pro filters stacked on it. On the other hand, the 16-35L II will vignette with an XS-Pro plus F-Pro, meaning a standard CPL will vignette, as will an XS-Pro with a slim CPL stacked, but the slim CPL alone will not.

Here are the lenses that I tested, and the results:

Thanks for the comparison results. I recently ordered a B+W xs-pro UV filter for my Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 II lens, but was a little concerned about whether or not it would cause any vignetting. Glad to learn that it wont :).
Canon- 5D II x2 | 70D | 8-15mm f4L Fisheye | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 24mm f/1.4L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 85mm f/1.2L II |100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 600EX-RT x3 | 580EX II | ST-E3 RT | EOS M w/22mm Lens | Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | GH4

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 02:15:25 PM »
The filter/no-filter/sometimes a filter debate has raged for decades, and you must come to your own conclusion.  Here is a great article: http://www.lenstip.com/113.1-article-UV_filters_test.html

That said, a proper lens hood is a great idea with or without a filter, providing some protection in a fall, keeping stray light out, and improving the photo quality. Not many negatives aside from making polarizing filters harder to turn, and the lenses bigger in the bag. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 02:15:25 PM »