July 15, 2018, 11:15:21 PM

Author Topic: Yet another DXO Interpretation Time video with Tony Northrup  (Read 7196 times)

ahsanford

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • USM > STM
Yet another DXO Interpretation Time video with Tony Northrup
« on: December 13, 2014, 09:12:08 PM »
Tony Northrup, at it again, on the notion of using FF lenses on crop bodies.  This one touches all the bases -- DXO P-MPix resolution comparisons, filling the frame vs. cropping with wildlife, why cramming pixels in higher densities is awesome, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDbUIfB5YUc&list=PLBE338967F8DB7F2A

He's been on a steady clip lately -- one per week or so.  The thought of Tony Toni Tone knocking out a "here's how the world works" every week kinda chills my blood.

(As always, I post these hoping for a proper group skewering.  I eagerly await Neuro's rebuttal web-series, entitled "I am the anti-Tony", but it hasn't happened yet.)

- A

canon rumors FORUM

Yet another DXO Interpretation Time video with Tony Northrup
« on: December 13, 2014, 09:12:08 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
Re: Yet another DXO Interpretation Time video with Tony Northrup
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 09:35:52 PM »
(As always, I post these hoping for a proper group skewering.  I eagerly await Neuro's rebuttal web-series, entitled "I am the anti-Tony", but it hasn't happened yet.)

To rebut, I'd first have to watch.  There are many things higher on my priority list than viewing Northrup's videos.  Watching paint dry and picking lint from my umbilicus are two things that come to mind...   :o
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 09:42:17 PM »

To rebut, I'd first have to watch.  There are many things higher on my priority list than viewing Northrup's videos.  Watching paint dry and picking lint from my umbilicus are two things that come to mind...   :o

dont forget bathing the neighbors cat in the same bath you are in has to be a much higher priority too!
APS-H Fanboy

Ryan85

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 01:35:12 AM »

Don't want to be a spoiler, but you are going to love the part where he say's that a 70D has twice the resolution of a 1Dx on a Canon 600 f4.  ;)

Lol your going to get everyone riled up now

Synkka

• EOS Rebel T7i
    • Synkka Imagining Flickr
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 02:44:19 AM »
It must be true it's about dxo and it's on the internet!

dtaylor

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 02:53:38 AM »

I don't know...it was fun to watch him back peddle on the 7D2. Both he and his wife tried it without any preconceived notions from DxO and loved it, the performance and the IQ.

Then when DxO said it was no better then a D300 (DxO b trollin' yo) he was in the uncomfortable position of reconciling his trust in DxO with his real world experience.

I can't help but wonder if the same thing happens in this video?

zim

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 05:08:47 AM »
Brick  liked the music at the end.............. It was happy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 05:08:47 AM »

johnf3f

• EOS 5DS R
  • Canon 1Dx
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 06:41:17 PM »
Like an idiot I actually watched the video to the end! As always he seems very plausible whilst talking absolute bol&oc$s.
So he is telling me that I should delete all the lovely sharp, detailed images I got with my FF camera and 300, 400,600 + 800mm lenses and keep the crap images I got with crop cameras on the same lenses?
Canon 1DX, 7D2, 16-35 F4 L IS, 24-70 F2.8 V2, 100 F2.8 Macro, 100-400 L IS Mk2, 300 F2.8 L IS, 800 F5.6 L IS, Holga Pinhole lens.

ahsanford

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • USM > STM
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 08:03:09 PM »
Like an idiot I actually watched the video to the end! As always he seems very plausible whilst talking absolute bol&oc$s.
So he is telling me that I should delete all the lovely sharp, detailed images I got with my FF camera and 300, 400,600 + 800mm lenses and keep the crap images I got with crop cameras on the same lenses?

I also watched the video (this time) and as best I can process from his argument, he is saying that if you don't have the appropriate reach for wildlife and have to crop the shot or use a crop body, the crop body will have more pixels dedicated to the subject, i.e. a 5D3 has 22 MP, but only 8.6 MP if you crop it as though it were an APS-C focal length.  He'd rather have the APS-C sensor's full 20 MP to do the same job to capture more detail.

This, of course, presumes you can't move your feet, you don't have longer glass to call upon, and it's broad daylight.  If any of those three constraints change...

- A

Mitch.Conner

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • It was all a lie.
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 11:04:37 AM »

You gotta give the guy props for getting his name recognized though.  You may not agree with him, but the fact that he can get his voice heard by so many using the internet is fairly impressive.  The same applies to KR.

Ryan85

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 11:26:42 AM »

You gotta give the guy props for getting his name recognized though.  You may not agree with him, but the fact that he can get his voice heard by so many using the internet is fairly impressive.  The same applies to KR.

+1

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 11:26:42 AM »