September 01, 2014, 10:33:26 PM

Author Topic: Nikon D4 Specs Revealed? 1D X Has Competition.  (Read 32337 times)

gmrza

• 6D
    • View Profile
Nikon D4 Specs Revealed? 1D X Has Competition.
« on: December 11, 2011, 05:04:54 PM »
Over at Nikonrumors.com there is now a rumoured spec list for the DX:

http://nikonrumors.com/2011/12/11/nikon-d4-specs-16-2mp-11-fps-102400-native-iso-xqd-memory-card.aspx/

The list generally seems to look plausible (copy and paste from Nikonrumors post linked above):

• 16.2 MP
  • 11 fps
  • 100-102,400 native ISO range, expandable to 50 and 204,800
  • CF + XQD memory card slots! That's right, the Nikon D4 will have the new Compact Flash XQD memory card slot.
  • Compatible with the new Nikon WT-5 wireless transmitter
  • Integrated Ethernet in the camera
  • Face detection/recognition function that will be working in the viewfinder (maybe some type of a hybrid viewfinder? Nikon had several related patents)
  • Improved video, I have no other details on that but my guess is 1080p/30/25/24 and 720p/60/30/25/24 similar to the Nikon D800
  • Uncompressed video out through the HDMI port
  • Ability to assign the two buttons on the front of the camera to smooth aperture control during video recording
  • Improved 51 AF points
  • AF detection range will go down to EV-2.0 (the D3s went to EV -1)
  • Autofocus system: 9 cross-type sensors that are operational up to f/8

Winners over the 1Dx seem to be one more stop of native ISO range (102400) and autofocus to f/8.  Fps and resolution are really a wash between the two.

In interesting question in my mind is whether having XQD would give first mover advantage or disadvantage.  Firstly, the cards are not on the market, and secondly their reliability and performance is as-ye unknown. - Sounds a bit risky for a flagship product.

Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

canon rumors FORUM

« on: December 11, 2011, 05:04:54 PM »

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 05:11:47 PM »

*DISCLAIMER

Yes, this is Canon Rumors, but a new D4 probably matters to a lot people that require cameras like the D4 and 1D X.

The 1D X to have competition soon?

Nikon Rumors has posted specs of an upcoming D4. They claim it’ll be announced before CES/PMA in January. The 1D X is no longer alone.

Don’t expect a quick to market product, I’m not sure you can even buy XQD cards yet!

• 16.2 MP

• 11 fps

• 100-102,400 native ISO range, expandable to 50 and 204,800

• CF + XQD memory card slots! That’s right, the Nikon D4 will have the new Compact Flash XQD memory card slot.

• Compatible with the new Nikon WT-5 wireless transmitter

• Integrated Ethernet in the camera

• Face detection/recognition function that will be working in the viewfinder (maybe some type of a hybrid viewfinder? Nikon had several related patents)

• Improved video, I have no other details on that but my guess is 1080p/30/25/24 and 720p/60/30/25/24 similar to the Nikon D800

• Ability to assign the two buttons on the front of the camera to smooth aperture control during video recording

• Improved 51 AF points

Source: Nikon Rumors 

cr

« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 07:22:20 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

Haydn1971

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: Nikon D4 Specs Revealed? 1D X Has Competition.
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 05:12:20 PM »
Caught that on NR - sounds a bit of a fanboy mashup of the D3 & 1DX
Regards, Haydn

:: View my photostream on Flickr, Canon EOS 6D, EOS M ,  16-35mm II, 24-70mm II, 70-300mm L, 135mm f2.0 L, 22mm f2.0, Lensbaby, EOS M adaptor, Cosina CT1G film SLR & 50mm f2.0 lens

alipaulphotography

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 05:13:24 PM »
A direct 1DX competitor.
So nikon are going for:-
D4 - Low MP, big FPS, High ISO
D800 - High MP, low FPS, average ISO.

So the 5DMKIII will be high MP to compete?

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 05:24:35 PM »
If this rumour did turn out to be true, it'd make you wonder if Canon and Nikon had signed a cooperation agreement.  Apparently, quite a lot of that goes on in Japan anyway...

t.linn

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • You Must Have A Really Nice Camera
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 05:28:38 PM »
The focus points working down to f/8 caught my eye and lead me to believe this is fake.  That's one of the few gripes about the 1DX.  Seems highly unlikely that Nikon just happens to add 9 of them as Canon eliminates this capability.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 05:28:53 PM »
When the 1DX dropped, a quote from Canon was something along the lines of "we listened to a lot of pros and what they wanted from a camera", ie, things like the Ethernet port.
I wouldn't be surprised if Nikon listened to a lot of the same pros and put their own Ethernet port in, it's waay too soon for them to have just hacked it in since the 1DX was announced.

But I still call this a mashup of 1DX and D3s-improved wishlist...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 05:28:53 PM »

tt

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 05:39:07 PM »
As a 1DX competitor - are we likely going to see a launch pre- Olympics, March-May time?

UngerPhotography

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 06:06:30 PM »
The focus points working down to f/8 caught my eye and lead me to believe this is fake.  That's one of the few gripes about the 1DX.  Seems highly unlikely that Nikon just happens to add 9 of them as Canon eliminates this capability.

This and the one stop higher native ISO caught my eye.

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 06:23:56 PM »
    • CF + XQD memory card slots! That's right, the Nikon D4 will have the new Compact Flash XQD memory card slot.

Uncompressed HDMI is a gift for anyone looking to do video with a DSLR. I suspect that the EOS-C will have this. The D4 needs it because Nikon does not (yet) appear to have any dedicated video products, thus they need to make their existing line more of a hybrid.

Winners over the 1Dx seem to be one more stop of native ISO range (102400) and autofocus to f/8.  Fps and resolution are really a wash between the two.

Autofocus down to EV-2 and with lenses up to f/8 seems to be the most significant difference for normal shooting.

In interesting question in my mind is whether having XQD would give first mover advantage or disadvantage.  Firstly, the cards are not on the market, and secondly their reliability and performance is as-ye unknown. - Sounds a bit risky for a flagship product.

The 1DX should have XQD in it. Nikon won't have put it in the camera without testing/sample cards from manufacturers, so this is not an unknown quantity for Nikon. XQD will be pinless and faster than CF. What more could you ask for?

I wouldn't be surprised if XQD just wasn't ready for Canon when they were doing the relevant design work for the 1DX.

justicend

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 06:34:31 PM »
    Nothing hit me more than the HDMI output, lot of videographers and indie filmmakers were crying for clean HDMI output. This is going to make the huge difference in the video department.

gmrza

• 6D
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 06:40:54 PM »
    When the 1DX dropped, a quote from Canon was something along the lines of "we listened to a lot of pros and what they wanted from a camera", ie, things like the Ethernet port.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Nikon listened to a lot of the same pros and put their own Ethernet port in, it's waay too soon for them to have just hacked it in since the 1DX was announced.

My understanding was the gigabit ethernet was prettty much becoming a must-have for Canon and Nikon for the Olympics.  Both Canon and Nikon need to have cameras with Ethernet in production by then.

dilbert

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 06:44:14 PM »

My understanding was the gigabit ethernet was prettty much becoming a must-have for Canon and Nikon for the Olympics.  Both Canon and Nikon need to have cameras with Ethernet in production by then.

Yup, I can believe it. Lots of cameras wired up directly to people's laptops that have empty 500GB drives in them. No messing about with storage cards.

The f/8 autofocus though... I wonder if that'll prompt Canon to get back into AF design and come out with a successor to the 1DX sooner that brings back AF at f/8?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 06:44:14 PM »

blarygake

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 06:54:04 PM »
    One thing is for certain...
    It will have nicer looking noise than the 1D-X

Japanese companies have been really complacent in recent years.  Canon and Nintendo are the worst offenders, I think.

I STILL LOVE MY 5DII, THOUGH!

gmrza

• 6D
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 08:06:39 PM »

Yup, I can believe it. Lots of cameras wired up directly to people's laptops that have empty 500GB drives in them. No messing about with storage cards.

Actually straight to edit suites and news desks.  That means that editorial staff will have the shots straight off the camera.  I presume that media (press etc.) will be wanting Ethernet from the locations where their shooters are through to the media suites so that reporters and editorial staff have the images immediately.  At an event such as the Olympics, you will have a complete stadium LAN infrastructure, so you are not limited by the length of a CAT5/CAT6 trunk+flylead.  I presume each media organisation will get its own VLAN.  If VLAN membership is by MAC address, that means that, for instance, if I am a Reuters shooter, and the MAC address of my camera is recorded as being part of the Reuters VLAN, that means that I can just plug in anywhere there is a LAN point and have my photos immediately going back to my editorial suite.

Cisco will be making some big bucks out of the network infrastructure for the London Olympics!

[/quote]

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 08:06:39 PM »