September 30, 2014, 10:19:12 AM

Author Topic: Is 1D Mark IV boring or almost perfect?  (Read 8518 times)

markIVantony

Is 1D Mark IV boring or almost perfect?
« on: December 12, 2011, 01:23:54 PM »
I've followed this forum for almost a year now (as an unregistered observer), and I've noticed a distinct lack of threads about the 1D Mark IV, -compared to- 5D MKII, 7D, 60D, etc, where most of those topics relate to recommended lenses, image quality, debate of the week on sensor size-vs-MP-vs-ISO, etc.  I only recall seeing 1DMkIV threads in the context of the now-confirmed 1Dx.

I shoot almost exclusively with the 1DMKIV, so I was wondering why there aren't as many discussions about this great body.  It's just as good a wedding, journalist, sports, etc. camera as any other.  Is it just a non-controversial camera :-), or are there just not as many issues as with other bodies?

canon rumors FORUM

Is 1D Mark IV boring or almost perfect?
« on: December 12, 2011, 01:23:54 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Is 1D Mark IV boring or almost perfect?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 01:37:12 PM »
Becuase people with 1DIV's are mostly out using them to shoot pictures, and have less time to participate in online forums?   ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 02:28:59 PM »
YEah, I second that, out of reach for a lot of people. Cost issue I guess.

I use the mk4 and I'm not a pro, but use it for all it's worth and it lacks some Af-tracking abilities in lower light, but other than that there's nothing wrong with it, and I know it by heart so less need to start threads.  :P :-X
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Mendolera

• Canon AE-1
  • Heck, I’m not even mad; that’s amazing..
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 02:39:37 PM »
For me the Mark IV would be a dream camera... I think its the best worlds for the photography I enjoy (Action and some low light stuff).. and IMO its the best camera Canon camera you can buy until the 1DX is released.

For me photography is strickly a hobby and therefore the Mark II and 7D are more in my budget  :(
5DIII | EOS M | 24-105 F/4L | 100-400 F/4.5-5.6L | 70-200 F/4L | 85 F/1.8 | 50 F/1.4 | 580EXII | 22 F/2 M / 18-55 M | Sigma 105mm OS Macro

briansquibb

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »
I jumped to the 1D4 from the 7D. Absolutely the right move.

Great IQ
Great AF
Great metering - especially with speedlights
Great functions

I am not fussed about mp - I only print to A3 - but high iso is important and it is one stop better than the 5DII and at least 2 more than the 7D

What is there to discuss? Perhaps a few techniques - but this is probably the wrong forum

sct69

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 03:19:31 PM »
Like you I looked for more discussion on this great camera but I guess like others have said its just that, I great camera. With the soon to be released 1DX I was hoping too see a reduction in price on the Mark VI. On some sites that is already starting to happen. I was thinking of taking the plunge on an 1DX but I think with price drops on the VI and an unknown wait time on the 1DX being available to the masses I will be saving my coin so that I can finally join the Mark IV band wagon.

kennykodak

• Rebel T5i
  • M.Photog.MEI.Cr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 03:28:51 PM »
love mine...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 03:28:51 PM »

wockawocka

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 03:58:17 PM »
It's a great camera but I can't seem to break away from the 1Ds3
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

juwi

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 04:18:34 PM »
One of the reasons for why theres so few threads about it (besides the fact that it is so good that it would be boring to talk about it) may simply be its price tag.

When you look at 60D/5D/7D Threads they are often about which one to choose or about shortcomings. Those cameras are all pretty close together price wise, so there really is a decision to be made. A 1D comes in at twice the pricetag of a 5D and its the only Canon model in that price region. When you have that much money to spend on a camera you don't ask questions, you just get one and as is often stated the 1D/1Ds lives up to its price tag, so there really is nothing to complain about either.
Its basically good enough to be boring to talk about.

markIVantony

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 04:44:05 PM »
One of the reasons for why theres so few threads about it (besides the fact that it is so good that it would be boring to talk about it) may simply be its price tag.

When you look at 60D/5D/7D Threads they are often about which one to choose or about shortcomings. Those cameras are all pretty close together price wise, so there really is a decision to be made. A 1D comes in at twice the pricetag of a 5D and its the only Canon model in that price region. When you have that much money to spend on a camera you don't ask questions, you just get one and as is often stated the 1D/1Ds lives up to its price tag, so there really is nothing to complain about either.
Its basically good enough to be boring to talk about.

This makes sense, and I was thinking along those lines.  Guess I just wanted to hear someone else say it.

Like you I looked for more discussion on this great camera but I guess like others have said its just that, I great camera. With the soon to be released 1DX I was hoping too see a reduction in price on the Mark VI. On some sites that is already starting to happen. I was thinking of taking the plunge on an 1DX but I think with price drops on the VI and an unknown wait time on the 1DX being available to the masses I will be saving my coin so that I can finally join the Mark IV band wagon.

Haven't decided if I'll upgrade to the 1D X, or even if I'd sell the MkIV.  If I do upgrade, I'll likely wait for the first Refurbs to show up on Canon Shop.  My reasons to upgrade would be the reduced high ISO noise.  Some of what I shoot is Fri. night football games, so I would benefit there (next year anyway).  Also the reduced shutter lag is a big plus, though I'll have to slightly re-calibrate my brain-finger anticipation.  I get more "perfect-timing" shots by anticipating the action, rather than just holding the button down.  Also I will benefit from the dual-CF in certain sports situations.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 05:03:36 PM »
My MkIV is easily the best camera I have ever used. Business is good so it's in heavy daily use, as have 1 Series Canons for me since the film days.

Yes, it is boring...but in the absolute best possible way.

It is just so good, and such a natural extension of my eyes/hands/creativity that I barely think about it. The functions I reach for are completely second nature. I can just get on with the job and have my attention on the things that matter rather than fretting about the camera. If a shot screws up, it will be caused by something other than the camera.

Of course it is vital to completely understand the capabilities and limitations of any tool you use, and work within those boundaries.

Another reason there may be fewer posts about MkIV is that relative to the consumer and prosumer bodies, there are simply far fewer of them out there.

Paul Wright

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 05:11:01 PM »
I'm a low light shooter, and the reviews indicating that it is not a excellent performer in low light as compared to my 5D MK II have kept me from buying one.

Now, I'm interested in the new 18mp sensor Canon has announced and wonder if it will appear in a 5D MK III.

As long as you are not out for extreme low light, its a supurb camera.

branden

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 05:12:37 PM »
While I would certainly treasure and love having a 1D-series camera, I value the smaller size and increased portability of the non-1D cameras. (I don't use the grips for the same reason.)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 05:12:37 PM »

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 05:23:08 PM »
I've said elsewhere that I wouldn't consider a 7Dmk2, all signs point to it not being that enough of an upgrade from my current 7D, I'm more likely to go a 5Dmk2/3 at some point in the future.

But a 1Dmk4 is probably the only upgrade from 7D i'd consider, i'd give up the 1.6x crop (and only 1 EFs lens) and 2MP for way better IQ, AF, sealing, pro-build, high-iso, more FPS, etc. I'm not the biggest fan of gripped bodies, but if it'd balance better with my longer lenses then i'd put up with the extra weight.
Too bad about the cost, when I bought my 7D I went with it and better lenses over the 5D2, I'd only get a 1D4 if it were offered about $2500-3k (which they're not, yet).
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 05:30:16 PM »
We missed out.  Last week, the 1D MK IV was in stock at the canon refurb store, and the 15% off coupon from Canon went into my deleted items by accident.  I found it 3 or 4 hours later, but they were sold out by then.  Its probably just as well, I don't need another body and really am wanting a low light camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 05:30:16 PM »