August 27, 2014, 05:10:39 AM

Author Topic: 7D2, 5D3 and Megapixel Insights  (Read 31377 times)

seacritter

Re: 7D2, 5D3 and Megapixel Insights
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2011, 12:30:46 PM »
You understand that this camera will never be released until I buy the current 5D MarkII

Soooo...  If you ever want to see this camera, you can all pitch in and pick me up the current 5D Mark II...  I guarantee that it will come out the day after I receive the Mark II...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 12:57:59 PM by seacritter »

Wahoowa

« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2011, 01:59:06 PM »
My ambition is really low. :)

My wish list for 5D3:

- Improved & cleaner sensor at high ISO (1+ stop improvement over 5D2)
- 19 cross-type AF points,
- weather seal,
- LP-E6 battery pack (If they update it, just make it compatible with 7D/60D and vice versa.), and
- SD/CF slots,
- f-stop adjustable in Av mode for video (just like 5D2, whereas 7D/60D just have either full auto or full manual mode).

If 5D3 comes out with that for $2,600-$2,700, I'll buy it in a heartbeat. :)

- Would like to see ISO raised by 2+
- AF agreed
- Sealing agreed
- Battery AND Body the same/similar so we can still use the BG-E6 also would be nice. Otherwise I'm just moving all my LP-E6 batteries over to my old 60D.
- Would like to keep the CF card format, One of the cut downs from the 1DX could be single not Dual CF, so that could work.
- Disagree, Learn to use manual mode  :P

It's not like I don't know how to do video in manual mode. But, it's just like still, much of the time it's convenient to use Av mode. Also, in video mode, it's not like we can adjust exposure conveniently without shaking the camera.

jbwise01

« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2011, 02:35:29 PM »
And I dont think the Mark III will canabolize the 1DX.  If you have $6800 to spend on a camera, you are way beyond the Mark III announcement...

For starters, the 5D3 isn't going to have builtin gigabit ethernet. At the London Olympics, if you're not connected via ethernet to your editors, you can forget about having your picture on the front page or in the news.

At none of the pro sporting events that I've been at have I ever seen anything less than a 1D level camera being used by registered photographers for the event. And there is very good reason for that. So I call your argument about business "downsizing" its camera purchasing "baloney."

Thats the best Answer i've found to answer the question about cannablizing the 1Dx market.

I hope most people realize the 5D3 and 1Dx aren't in the same market to begin with. There is some overlap.. yes.. but the 1Dx is gives you 3 times the capabilitiy to "capture the moment" with Higher FPS and get it market with data transfer capabilities. Of all the cameras that would eat into the 1Dx market, the 7D2 would be the one canon should worry about eating 1Dx market share, the lack of FF will probably keep that separartion clear.

I would think the 5D3 would be marketed to sell in mass quantity in an attempt by canon to overtyake the FF market. For this some features will be scaled back and it seems logical that canon would have a slim profit margin for this cam. I expect a $2499 price point with 2 digic 5's an 18 MP sensor, greatly improved ISO (for video perfromance mainly) and slight improvement in AF.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 02:38:08 PM by jbwise01 »

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2011, 02:43:54 PM »
I would think the 5D3 would be marketed to sell in mass quantity in an attempt by canon to overtyake the FF market. For this some features will be scaled back and it seems logical that canon would have a slim profit margin for this cam. I expect a $2499 price point with 2 digic 5's an 18 MP sensor, greatly improved ISO (for video perfromance mainly) and slight improvement in AF.

I hope this cam will materialize. Seems about perfect to me. Even if the price tag is more towards 3k. 18 MP and fine ISO's. That's all my photography needs.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 02:46:38 PM by pedro »
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

lol

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My dA
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2011, 03:03:51 PM »
I can now state with confidence the 5D3, whatever it will be, will be out very soon. How? Because I just put in an order for the 5D2...
Canon 1D, 300D IR, 450D full spectrum, 600D, 5D2, 7D, EF 35/2, 50/1.8, 85/1.8, 135/2+SF, 70-300L, 100-400L
EF-S 15-85, TS-E 24, MP-E 65, Zeiss 50/2 macro, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8 OS, Samyang 8mm fisheye

jweu

« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2011, 04:39:37 PM »
Well, I dont think Canon will announce both of them at the same time. I bet on 5D Mk III announced around summer time and 7D Mk II announced in september (if it will be).

I think that 5D Mk III wont be announced in January - before 1D-X becomes available. Depends of course on specs but it doesnt make much sense for me. They need to roll out 1 pro camera and see the numbers and response to know when they should pop out with new "affordable" FF - even if this is case when 5D Mk III will be 30+ Mpx and worse AF from 1D-X. They need to figure out with which specs (especially sensor) to bail out into production. Also they still have good numbers on current 5D Mk II so there is no rush for them. Maybe Nikon will change the game a bit with D700 successor but there is no info on that body.

Right, the announcement of 5D Mk III will come more than ½year after 1D-X is available. I hope, 5D Mk III is 30+ Mpx with High ISO at 20Mpx "low resolution" images.

jweu

« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2011, 04:50:51 PM »
The modern sensors have more than 100 line pairs per mm, why don't we see any MTF data reflecting the resolution of the sensors? Why there is no vigentting information from Canon? Does Canon think we are not able to read technical data? It's unbeleavable!

Jettatore

« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2011, 05:04:31 PM »
You understand that this camera will never be released until I buy the current 5D MarkII

Soooo...  If you ever want to see this camera, you can all pitch in and pick me up the current 5D Mark II...  I guarantee that it will come out the day after I receive the Mark II...

Hahahhahahaahah.  I'll toss in three bucks for that effort, and I believe it too.

tt

« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2011, 05:07:58 PM »
Does anyone have a historical perspective of previous launches/announcements around Photokina lens & specifically camera wise?

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2011, 05:39:48 PM »
Does anyone have a historical perspective of previous launches/announcements around Photokina lens & specifically camera wise?

At quarter granularity, check out the DSLR timeline here:

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/rumours.html
And also:
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_rumours.html#canon_dslr_specifications

Zuuyi

« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2011, 06:39:28 PM »
Things that won't happen.
Sub $2k 5d3.
Dual Digic 5(+) 5d3.

7d2 will have Dual Digic 5 & will be sub 2k.  But not a 5d3.

Edwin Herdman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2011, 04:05:54 AM »
Canon can easily ride out the first half of the year on 1DX news as Nikon is playing catch up with 16mp D4 just to answer 1DX. Even if they come in quickly with D800, canon has time till Summer or Fall 2012 before the pressure mounts.
These are different markets, and if Canon waits too long they'll end up second fiddle themselves.

We don't have any real data yet on the performance of the 1D X or the D4, but in reality it doesn't really matter much for those of us who won't be using those cameras.

What I think is more important is to notice that Nikon's V1 seems to have good medium to high ISO performance; so too does the Sony NEX-7.  In fact their ISO performance seems close to par, or maybe even better than, some DSLRs from just a couple years ago, and in the case of the NEX-7 this is coupled with a 24MP sensor.

In short, the competition is moving quickly and so must Canon.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2011, 04:30:46 AM »
Canon can easily ride out the first half of the year on 1DX news as Nikon is playing catch up with 16mp D4 just to answer 1DX. Even if they come in quickly with D800, canon has time till Summer or Fall 2012 before the pressure mounts.
These are different markets, and if Canon waits too long they'll end up second fiddle themselves.

We don't have any real data yet on the performance of the 1D X or the D4, but in reality it doesn't really matter much for those of us who won't be using those cameras.

What I think is more important is to notice that Nikon's V1 seems to have good medium to high ISO performance; so too does the Sony NEX-7.  In fact their ISO performance seems close to par, or maybe even better than, some DSLRs from just a couple years ago, and in the case of the NEX-7 this is coupled with a 24MP sensor.

In short, the competition is moving quickly and so must Canon.

It's nice to see that someone else "gets it."

motorhead

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2011, 08:21:30 AM »
Traditionally Canon have always been last to respond to any change. But that has traditionally meant that the response has been better considered than other products, so I personally have no problem with Canon taking their time over a high MP D800 response.

We also need to consider that Japanese industry tends to be conservative and that the country is still recovering from the after effects of the Tsunami.

CarebbianTraveler

« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2011, 04:33:39 PM »
My guess is:
APS-C cameras (7D2, T4i, 70D) get a 24MP sensor with minor other changes. T4i will arrive in February, the 7D2 later
-> A new Rebel is announced every year, and last year was the first time they haven't changed the sensor.
-> No clue about the 7D product cycle, probably 3 years as the 5D had

The 5D3 will get a >30MP sensor and some other improvements like AF and weather sealing. Announced in September
-> The 5D2 targets studio and landscape photographers, and most of them would like more MP

A new 18MP FF EVIL
I haven't heard much about a EVIL rumor in the last time, but I still believe in it. In the mean time the market is flooded with them and pretty much all sensor sized are available, except an affordable full frame camera. For lots of people their camera is a status symbol, and this would be the top of it. Besides that it would take great pictures ;-)