December 20, 2014, 05:26:54 AM

Author Topic: Whortwhile to go for 5D Mark II?  (Read 22029 times)

Marco

Whortwhile to go for 5D Mark II?
« on: December 15, 2011, 03:30:57 AM »
I have waited for too long time to finally be able to buy my first digital SLR-camera, which has to be a Canon due to all the lenses I have since before. I was quite interested in 5DMII when i tcame but when it was revealed that the video functions were not the best I put everything on hold hoping that a new camera would come later on.

As I'm still heading for a full framer I wonder if the newer DMII's have been uppgrade with better firmware/functions making it worth while buying? My goal is to get rid of my old heavy video camera and have a modern SLR instead. Would appreciate if some one with experience could tell me what the difference with old and new 5DMII is today? The price is definetly very appealing.

Marco

canon rumors FORUM

Whortwhile to go for 5D Mark II?
« on: December 15, 2011, 03:30:57 AM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Whortwhile to go for 5D Mark II?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 04:26:32 AM »
Apart from the manual video introduced in 2009, there has been no significant change in the firmware since release.

fabio.adurno

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 05:49:38 AM »
I have waited for too long time to finally be able to buy my first digital SLR-camera, which has to be a Canon due to all the lenses I have since before. I was quite interested in 5DMII when i tcame but when it was revealed that the video functions were not the best I put everything on hold hoping that a new camera would come later on.

As I'm still heading for a full framer I wonder if the newer DMII's have been uppgrade with better firmware/functions making it worth while buying? My goal is to get rid of my old heavy video camera and have a modern SLR instead. Would appreciate if some one with experience could tell me what the difference with old and new 5DMII is today? The price is definetly very appealing.

Marco

I bought the 5DMKII in November 2011 and I've never been so happy. The price was really convenient considering that it is a full frame camera. I think that we still have to wait 1 year to see a possible 5DMKIII available, however even if you are willing to wait one year, you should look at the price history of the 5DMKII. It has been sold at 3.000 EUR / USD for a while. To be honest I'm not willing to spend so much, this is one of the main reasons why I decided to go for the MKII instead of wait for the MKIII...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 08:06:28 AM »
I have waited for too long time to finally be able to buy my first digital SLR-camera, which has to be a Canon due to all the lenses I have since before.

Presumably you had a film SLR?  If so, was it an EOS model?  If you have EF lenses, great.  But, if you have FD lenses an adapter is required, which usually leads to decreased image quality (assuming you want to maintain infinity focus).

My goal is to get rid of my old heavy video camera and have a modern SLR instead.

What is your intended use in terms of video?  Be aware that the 5DII is nothing like a video camera.  For example, it does not autofocus during video shooting, usually requires a tripod with fluid head or a rig for handholding, etc.  If you're aiming to produce films or willing to put in a lot of work and some additional expense, great, but if your goal is just to shoot simple videos, a new camcorder might serve you better (I have two video-capable dSLRs, but for family videos it's much, much easier to just grab my Vixia HF M41 camcorder).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Maui5150

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 09:26:51 AM »
I spent 7 months or so in the 7D vs 5DMKII camp and flipped back and forth more than a politician... Pretty much almost an acrobat or gymnast at that point. 

I just pulled the shutter on the 5DMKII end of last month and am happy. 

Will it be "outdated" in a year.  Yup... but then again, the 5DMKIII will be outdated by the middle of 2013 as well.

I stepped up from my T2i and the biggest factor to me was going FF and getting better IQ.  That being said, the 5D MKII AF I wish had more points, especially when I am shooting fashion in lower light, but the end result over the next 6 months or how ever long until the 5DMKIII is available, I am MUCH happier with my images, my models love them, and I really like the step up.  The net result come next year, I will be a better photographer than if I had just shot the T2i.

skitron

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 09:57:17 AM »
For me it was price driven. I just bought a 5D2 from Adorama for $2K bundled with nice bag and 3 Red Giant plugins (all current versions, all that I will find useful even though one is actually a video only plugin). Not grey market, came with full Canon USA warranty. I figure at this price I can sell it for a small loss later down the road if the 5D3 ever does materialize and I just have to have it, and I'll still have the plugins. Plus for me it is a business expense I can apply to this tax year.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 11:07:14 AM by skitron »
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

motorhead

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 10:14:53 AM »
I've only very recently bought a new (body only) 5D2. This was based on advise from someone I trust in my local photo shop while we were both watching a presentation of the new 1Dx by a Canon rep.

I told him I was very interested in a 1Ds3 if he ever had one come in used. I happened to know of one that was heading his way. His answer surprised me.

While happy to turn the 1Ds3 around for a quick and painless profit, he advised me that in his opinion the 5D2 was a better bet, given what he knew of my photographic interests. With grip and part ex on my 30D (& grip) it has come to around £1600.

I have to admit that I'm still slowly recovering from a long (and undiagnosed!) illness that has beaten the medical profession, so have yet to use the camera seriously, but I'm very happy with what I have seen from the test shots I've taken.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 10:14:53 AM »

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 10:55:58 AM »

Marco

Marco, welcome.

Hard to say what is right for you. I came in from a similar angle last year. I had been postponing going digital (with my SLR) for several years because things just didn't seem to be quite there yet or were too expensive (given that I had to start from scratch since my old Canon FD system is not really compatible with anything serious). A fat bonus last year and the availability of the 5DII at a more reasonable price point made me take the plunge. Haven't regretted it for one second. Is everything 100% perfect and the way I would want things? No. But what really is? It's pretty close to perfect even.

As far as video capability goes: I have no idea and have never used it. For video I prefer designated video cameras and based on what I've read from other people would caution anyone to think of a DSLR as a replacement for that. Yes, these cameras can deliver stunning results that due to the sensor size and high ISO capabilities look very film like under certain conditions. And I see why video pros with a larger budget are drawn to these options (likely in addition to other cameras). For good results it appears you need a lot of expensive additional gear (viewfinders/screens, steady-cam frames, a well thought out selection of specialized lenses, audio gear, etc). Not sure if that makes it really cheaper or lighter in the end compared to what you may be using now.

For photography the 5DII is one of a few available alternatives that will be as good or better (depending how you look at various aspects) as your current 35mm film cameras (guessing that you have an EOS film body plus EF lenses right now). In fact, I find it so good that I've been tossing around the idea of getting a second body given the current discounts putting it at around $2000. I don't expect to see anything new coming out any time soon that would be more interesting for me.

5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

TexPhoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 11:07:59 AM »
If you need a camera right now, it's a great camera and will shoot great photos.  If you have a good camera and can wait, I'd wait, but 6 and 12 months ago, people were airing for the immanent release of the 5DIII.

I had a friend who sold his 5DIII in July so as not to loose out on the drop in value.  He has been shooting with a 20D since then (and cussing a lot).

Maui5150

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 11:24:29 AM »
I am also not sure what that price point drop may be.

I expect the 5DMK3 to be closer to the $3K range or at least mid to high $2Ks and just because a new one is out, especially if it is close to $1000 more does not mean a price plummet.  I do expect once the 5DMK3 is out the MK2 will drop, but I still see extremely good condition 5Ds selling for 1200+, with highly used ones being more in the $900 plus range, and that camera is now 6 years old and about to be 2 generations old.

will the 5DMKII drop when the 3 comes out.  Yup?, but ANY CAMERA will.  Especially if you are using it. 

I cherry picked my 5D MKII with less than 500 actuations and while it will be worth less than the $1850 I paid, I figure by the time I am ready to upgrade to the 5DMKIII it might turn out to cost me $1/day, maybe a little more.  That is not too bad of a price to pay to shoot on a 5DMKII versus a T2i.

justsomedude

• Canon 6D
  • 5D3, 6D and 7D2
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 12:10:31 PM »
Will it be "outdated" in a year.  Yup... but then again, the 5DMKIII will be outdated by the middle of 2013 as well.

+1

Maui5150 nailed it.  There will always be something newer, better, faster, lighter, more MPs, less noise, more dollars, faster write, bigger memory card, etc.  If you always wanted to wait for the "next best thing", you'd never ever buy anything.

The 5D is a superb camera and will serve you well for a long to come - if it raises the quality of your product NOW, improves the level of the service you can provide NOW... why wait?  $1,999 is a steal.

Caps18

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 12:27:40 PM »
I purchased my 5Dm2 28 months ago, and it is still a great camera.  Even when a new camera comes out, it will still be a great camera. 

I will have mine for the next 8-10 years or longer.  It doesn't take worse photos over time.  HDR and 30-40 Megapixels with a backlit sensor and low noise would tempt me.
5D mark 2, 16-35mm f/2.8, 17mm TS-E f/4, 85mm f/1.8, 300mm f/4 + 1.4x, 580 EX Flash

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 04:50:18 PM »

As I'm still heading for a full framer I wonder if the newer DMII's have been uppgrade with better firmware/functions making it worth while buying? My goal is to get rid of my old heavy video camera and have a modern SLR instead. .

Marco

Marco, a DSLR is not yet a replacement for a camcorder.  The 5D MK II FF image made it very popular with cinematographers on a budget who were willing to work around its shortcomings to get video with low light sensitivity and depth of fieds that, in 2008, that was only available on $200K cameras.

However, be aware - No autofocus means that your camera will not automatically keep a moving subject in focus, and focusing manually on a moving subject is not something easily done.  It really is different from a camcorder.

Editing the video can also be difficult, its not a easy format to edit, but at least, there is now low cost software that can handle editing on a fairly powerful computer with good video card.  In 2008-2009, this was a big issue.

Movie makers get by with what is basically APS-C format (Super 35), and there are a few APS-C digital Cameras that do autofocus while shooting video, so for replacing a camcorder, give those a look. The Sony Nex 7, is brand new and very popular among enthusiasts.  It too has limitations shooting video, so read the reviews very carefully and understand its limitations.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 04:50:18 PM »

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 07:16:49 PM »
I have waited for too long time to finally be able to buy my first digital SLR-camera, which has to be a Canon due to all the lenses I have since before.

Presumably you had a film SLR?  If so, was it an EOS model?  If you have EF lenses, great.  But, if you have FD lenses an adapter is required, which usually leads to decreased image quality (assuming you want to maintain infinity focus).

Marco, if you have FD lenses, it is easier to use them with a mirrorless camera (Sony NEX or Micro 4/3) than it is with a Canon EF mount camera. The NEX and Micro 4/3 mounts can adapt EF mount lenses without corrective optics.

If you're aiming to produce films or willing to put in a lot of work and some additional expense, great, but if your goal is just to shoot simple videos, a new camcorder might serve you better (I have two video-capable dSLRs, but for family videos it's much, much easier to just grab my Vixia HF M41 camcorder).

Completely agree with this and similar comments from others. I have a 5D Mark II, but I still kept my cheap camcorder.

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 07:19:06 PM »

Marco, if you have FD lenses, it is easier to use them with a mirrorless camera (Sony NEX or Micro 4/3) than it is with a Canon EF mount camera. The NEX and Micro 4/3 mounts can adapt EF mount lenses without corrective optics.

As above, the newer EOS film cameras use the same mount as Canon's digital cameras.

If you're aiming to produce films or willing to put in a lot of work and some additional expense, great, but if your goal is just to shoot simple videos, a new camcorder might serve you better (I have two video-capable dSLRs, but for family videos it's much, much easier to just grab my Vixia HF M41 camcorder).

Completely agree with this and similar comments from others. I have a 5D Mark II, but I still kept my cheap camcorder.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 07:19:06 PM »