August 22, 2014, 11:50:23 PM

Author Topic: Buying lenses, do you listen to your heart or your head?  (Read 11871 times)

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
Re: Buying lenses, do you listen to your heart or your head?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 11:52:17 AM »
My heart is really good at showing my head how to rationalize just about anything.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 12:23:51 PM »

It's always a good mental health exercise to assess needs vs wants. It's a tool I often used in counseling.

For everyone, it's different. Since photography isn't contributing to my economic well being, it's hard to quantify real needs.

But I'm guessing for most of us, there is a satisfaction in taking a picture we like to look at that is rare in most aspects of our lives. Whether the world likes or dislikes my pictures I derive great personal satisfaction in reviewing many of them on a cold winter eve. I go to sleep with a smile on my face -- and dreams of the Dx1 and L-class lenses.

I don't know how I balance the financial costs of lenses and such against that need for such satisfaction, but I'm not bankrupt yet so I must be managing.

Sorry if that's not the answer you were looking for, but it explains it for me. Thanks for asking.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

branden

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 02:20:36 PM »
I have found that living in close proximity to a lens rental shop has drastically cut down my frequency of purchases.

My heart rents; my head buys.

Harley

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 02:45:33 PM »
Recently I had my mind set on a TS-E 24mm 3.5LII, I knew it'd be great for landscapes and also be amazing for some creative portraits. I did all the research I usually do, found everyone agreed it was a beautiful piece of glass, some of the best optics on a canon lens, I started putting money to the side for it....then I had a play with it and I talked myself out of it. My heart told me I really wanted it, but my head so no. Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful lens, I do love it and I still think I will get it one day, but the reality is that for my work (editorial/weddings/portraits/corporate events/travel) I wouldn't use it so often to justify the price. Instead, I need another wide aperture lens with AF, say a 35mm f1.4L, Sigma 85mm f1.4, or a canon 135mm f2L, all lenses I can use in many more situations. Cheaper as well which helps.

Both head and heart for me, but sometimes you can find a way to get more than you thought.  I had been thinking about a TS lens for quite sometime, but also was interested in wider primes.  I ended up getting both in one fell swoop for about $700. 

Ed Mika (Ontarian on CR Forum) developed an adapter for the Canon FD 35mm f/2.8 TS lens.  I learned about him through an article here on Canon Rumors. 

His adapter doesn't have any optics, so you're not slowing down the lens.  You remove the FD mount and attach the new mount which has a dandelion chip for autofocus confirmation and EXIF data.  The lens retains all its rotational functionality.  Plus, the older TS lenses are of a much better build than the TS-E lenses, more compact and all metal.  Its an MF lens, so the only thing you really sacrifice is AF.  It's a nice 35mm prime.  And it's a tilt-shift!

I see you're shooting on a 5D Mark II -- The adapted FD 35mm TS has no mirror interference on FF bodies unlike the Ed Mika adapted FL 55mm f/1.2 which is essentially an EF-S lens.

I love mine so far.  I'll probably end up using it more as a prime than for the tilt or shift but only time will tell.  Hope this is helpful.

More info on CR Forum by going here:
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=2337.0
and that's where you'll find the link to the adapter sales.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 02:54:36 PM by Harley »
EOS 7D, EF 17-40mm f/4 L, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG EX, FD TS 35mm f/2.8, FL 55mm f/1.2, FD 300mm f/2.8 L

thepancakeman

• 6D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 02:52:31 PM »
Being wise makes the choice...less than obvious.  I find that if I always listen to my head and ignore my heart, it can suck the fun out of things and make them utilitarian and boring.  But always listening to the heart leads to a very expensive pile of...glass in this case...that just collects dust.  Of course actually finding that balance is way beyond my meager skills...   :o

ontarian

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 06:36:12 PM »
Really glad you are also liking your second EdMika adapted lens Harley. One minor point, the new tilt shift lenses are also only manual focus too so there really is no practical downside to using the 70's era original Canon TS lenses.

Recently I had my mind set on a TS-E 24mm 3.5LII, I knew it'd be great for landscapes and also be amazing for some creative portraits. I did all the research I usually do, found everyone agreed it was a beautiful piece of glass, some of the best optics on a canon lens, I started putting money to the side for it....then I had a play with it and I talked myself out of it. My heart told me I really wanted it, but my head so no. Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful lens, I do love it and I still think I will get it one day, but the reality is that for my work (editorial/weddings/portraits/corporate events/travel) I wouldn't use it so often to justify the price. Instead, I need another wide aperture lens with AF, say a 35mm f1.4L, Sigma 85mm f1.4, or a canon 135mm f2L, all lenses I can use in many more situations. Cheaper as well which helps.

Both head and heart for me, but sometimes you can find a way to get more than you thought.  I had been thinking about a TS lens for quite sometime, but also was interested in wider primes.  I ended up getting both in one fell swoop for about $700. 

Ed Mika (Ontarian on CR Forum) developed an adapter for the Canon FD 35mm f/2.8 TS lens.  I learned about him through an article here on Canon Rumors. 

His adapter doesn't have any optics, so you're not slowing down the lens.  You remove the FD mount and attach the new mount which has a dandelion chip for autofocus confirmation and EXIF data.  The lens retains all its rotational functionality.  Plus, the older TS lenses are of a much better build than the TS-E lenses, more compact and all metal.  Its an MF lens, so the only thing you really sacrifice is AF.  It's a nice 35mm prime.  And it's a tilt-shift!

I see you're shooting on a 5D Mark II -- The adapted FD 35mm TS has no mirror interference on FF bodies unlike the Ed Mika adapted FL 55mm f/1.2 which is essentially an EF-S lens.

I love mine so far.  I'll probably end up using it more as a prime than for the tilt or shift but only time will tell.  Hope this is helpful.

More info on CR Forum by going here:
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=2337.0
and that's where you'll find the link to the adapter sales.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2011, 06:46:42 PM »
I listen to my wife.

LOL oh sooooo true!
APS-H Fanboy

Jettatore

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2011, 06:55:08 PM »
I have found that living in close proximity to a lens rental shop has drastically cut down my frequency of purchases.

+1

I wouldn't want any major holes in a basic kit that lets you go have fun and also practice whatever areas of photography you are most interested in, but if it's not making you money all the time, save the super expensive stuff for rental with specific events in mind and a well thought out, specialized bag of gear planned.  The only other way to have that sort of flexibility is to own at least 1 of everything if not more and that is just a waste even for those who could afford to do this.

RobertG.

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2011, 08:58:55 PM »
I try to listen more to my head than my heard. My heard says get the best lense available and do it right now. In the end, when I finally decided to get the lense, I start looking for a used one. So I really wanted the TS-E 24L but 2000 EUR are to much and I got a used one in an excellent condition for 1640 EUR. For all other lenses it had been the same. Only camera bodies I buy new and then I wait until I really need them or the dissatisfaction with the current one grew to a point that I really don't want to use it any longer.
5DII | TS-E 17 mm L | TS-E 24 mm II | EF 35mm f1.4 | TS-E 45mm | EF 50mm f1.4 |
Tamron SP 24-70 f2.8 | EF 85mm f1.8 | TS-E 90mm f2.8 | EF 70-300mm F4.0-5.6 L

handsomerob

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2011, 06:24:19 AM »
For me, my heart picks the lenses I want and my head buys the ones I need.

Being wise makes the choice...less than obvious.  I find that if I always listen to my head and ignore my heart, it can suck the fun out of things and make them utilitarian and boring.  But always listening to the heart leads to a very expensive pile of...glass in this case...that just collects dust.  Of course actually finding that balance is way beyond my meager skills...   :o

well said!

I rather buy than rent (frequently used lenses) since L lenses keep their values pretty well. But for exotics, renting is mostly the only solution ;)

Rampado

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2011, 09:27:28 AM »
my heart always wins...

J. McCabe

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2011, 10:45:36 AM »
I'm a hobbyist, so - assuming I have the money - I listen to my heart.

I buy equipment for fun, not because I can rationally justify the expense.

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2011, 11:12:05 AM »
80% heart
20% head, unless I rally really like it.

willrobb

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2011, 12:04:43 PM »
If we're talking percentages I'd say I was :

40% heart
60% head

My heart takes me in a direction for something, but when I think about practicalities, cost and usefulness the head kicks in a makes the decision for me.

Maybe all this is because I am in my 30's, when I was in my 20's everything about my life was 100% heart, not just equipment.

KacperP

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2011, 12:22:12 PM »
Lens selection - 100% head
Taking photo - 100% head
Deciding on photo subject - 100% heart ;)