September 21, 2014, 02:23:42 PM

Author Topic: New Photographer. Need suggestions :)  (Read 10986 times)

92101media

Re: New Photographer. Need suggestions :)
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2011, 07:16:41 PM »
I was at a wedding, once, where the photographers had set up a bit of a mini photo studio/booth where guests could go over and take their own small-group photos during the reception.  I believe for part of it, this was actually a manned station (there were at least 3 photographers at the wedding) for the important family photos, where they'd take care of organizing/posing them and taking the shot.  However, for the rest of the reception, we could just go over with friends and snap our own pictures.  It was actually a whoooole lot of fun (for a few minutes, at least...  and that adds up among different groups of guests!).

Though they wouldn't exactly be WEDDING shots, you would have some nice, consistent (very controlled lighting - minimal processing) family/friend portraits that could range from lovely-shots-with-the-grandparents-and-grand-children (for non-wedding use, etc..) to friends-drinking-one-too-many-and-rolling-around-laughing-and-taking-pictures-of-themselves.

It's pretty much a possibly useful or possibly pointless set up, depending on the wedding style..  : D  Again it depends on what your brother and his wife-to-be want for memories and/or to share with family and friends.. like "Hey!  Here's that picture you guys took of yourselves!  It came out great!  Enjoy it!"  OR "HAH, we're keeping this one for blackmail down the road.."

Another thing I've seen done in the past, is that the bride & groom have put a cheap disposable camera with flash on each table at the reception, for those sitting at the table to capture some of the more fun & frivolous casual shots of each other themselves. However, that would entail extra cost for processing all of the rolls of film, for questionable results, depending on the conditions & skill of those using them etc. Cheap P&Ss are so prevalent that these days lots of people have them, so perhaps an email to all guests beforehand encouraging them all to bring their own cameras would work just as well or better (though, in fact, this may be unnecessary, since I imagine most people will bring their own cameras, if they remember, anyway). Having a neutral colored wall, or a light colored sheet hung up in a well/better lit area, may work well as an open area where anyone can come & take pics of each other. Sometimes, having a bucket of fun props e.g. crazy hats, oversized luminous-colored glasses etc. that people can use can lead to some fun shots (not as staid or self conscious). One note though: the communal pic taking area has to be close to where everyone else is though; they are *much* less likely to make use of it, if it is at all removed from the action. One of the downsides of the 'people taking casual pics of each other' approach is that you then usually have to chase people to send their pictures to you and/or the bride & groom afterwards. If you setup a communal online account/gallery, where everyone can easily upload their pics afterwards (and maybe even print slips of paper with an already set up upload address on, to hand out or leave on the tables), you may get a much better return rate.

Obviously, the above is just to capture some of the more fun casual shots to supplement the main pics, not in any way a replacement for the main pics.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2011, 07:16:41 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2011, 07:45:51 PM »
Lots of good tips so far

1 tip i havent seen yet is wear a black shirt not a white or coloured one
the reason is 2 fold.

1. wearing black will help you to reflect less in their eyes for tight shots

2. when they look at you the black helps ease the eyes and the pupils will dilate a bit more
especially in brighter light.
APS-H Fanboy

libertyranger

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2011, 09:02:51 PM »
Wow, thank everyone so much for replying.  I didn't realize I needed so much information aside from lens recommendations.

I've made a list of all these suggestions and now it's time to study and practice.  The wedding is 4 months away so I have some time. 

Again, thank you everyone for your information and experiences.

niccyboy

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2011, 01:02:11 AM »
Good luck with the wedding! :)

My advice:
- research and look at other peoples wedding shots, crops, composition, lighting etc
- you need a wider lens, your widest lens is 28mm which is around 45 on a ff... You will need to stand A long way back to get a group shot with that. Someone suggested the 10-22 efs... That is great, the sigma 10-20 and tokina 11-16 would also work.
- definitely get lots of batteries and cards and shoot raw, this will help with post and you can then overshoot
- practice with speed lites before the wedding, don't think they are like a lens that you just pop on... And definitely don't use the on camera flash for this stuff

Have fun! Learn by doing :)

MazV-L

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2011, 02:03:36 AM »
Don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but an external Battery pack for your speedlight will help the flash recycle much faster so you don't miss shots due to the flash failing to fire. Make sure batteries are fully charged and you have spares.

Having a BlackRapid strap cross-shoulder &/or belt holster is alot easier than having to dive into your backpack, and carrying 2 camera bodies, each w/ a different lens much faster than changing lenses.

ANTICIPATE THE MOMENT sometimes 'THE KISS' can be faster than Prince Williams and Kate's so you may only have time for one shot  BE READY!!!!

Rampado

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2011, 09:32:28 AM »
Good luck with that! I would never accepted this kind of work :)

XSHINERX

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2011, 10:38:06 PM »
Hello CR,

I've been following CR for a couple months now since I bought my T3i and have delved into the world of photography.  I've done some wildlife photography recently and some portraits and have discovered I really enjoy portraits and events.

I recently shot my brother's (with my wife's help) engagement photos with my new camera and a 50 1.8 lens I borrowed from a friend. They came out pretty good (Well at least he thought they did) and asked if I would shoot his wedding.  While I have no experience shooting weddings (and clearly told him so:), I said I would.  So...

What lenses do you suggest I use.  I know I can borrow the 50 1.8 from a friend and she'll let me borrow her 28-70 2.8L lens.  I'll probably borrow her 60D and shot with my wife (She'll use the T3i).

Also, any other suggestions for a budding wedding photographer.  Thanks in advance.

Mike

Ill be honest, its a huge undertaking.
 shoot the heck out of it, and have lots of cards. cant go wrong with the 20-70. shoot raw, make sure everything is in focus, fix exposure and framing in lightroom. If family is hip and young, rent fish eye for some "backstage" shots. With the fisheye, at least you can say exposure or other issues were artistic choice! ha!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2011, 10:38:06 PM »

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2011, 11:16:34 PM »
I just shot a wedding on the weekend and tried out the yongnuo external battery packs on the 2 580ex2's and they were amazing, shooting for about 10 hours and i never ran out of batteries on either flash. definately worth looking into getting one for each flash so you dont have the stress of battery changes, they also boost the recycle time a fair bit too.
APS-H Fanboy

Old Shooter

• Canon 70D
  • Never met a gadget I didn't like!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2011, 11:22:38 PM »
Wow!  I can't believe you got three pages of such great advice!  After I read through it all, I thought I would give you a few suggestions about "timing" your shoot that day...

If possible, attend the rehearsal.  You can pick your locations and angles for the wedding day.  You can also check with the minister to see what his rules are regarding photographer's and flashes...

On the wedding day, I would get to the church three hours early.  Let's say it was a 12:00 ceremony; I would get there at 9:00 AM.  The first hour was my time to set up equipment and scout shooting locations.  Walk around the grounds and evaluate backgrounds and lighting.  See what spots will be best for solos, couples, and groups...

The next hour was for the bride and her party.  Bride, bridesmaids, Mom & Dad, family shots if she wanted them.  You will finish her one hour before the ceremony so she can hide before anyone gets there...

Last hour is for the groom and his party.  Everyone has seen a guy in a tux so it is no big deal to shoot him as the guests start arriving.  Groom, groomsmen, Mom & Dad, family shots if he wants them.  You can shoot these practically up to the start of the ceremony...

If you follow this schedule, then all you have to do is shoot the ceremony and the bride & groom couple shots afterward.  Then off to the reception; which is like photographing a party but with a few special twists...  Their entrance, first dance, cutting the cake, throwing the bouquet/garter, their departure...  Then you're done!
5DIII, XSi, A2, 10s (x2), 20-35L, 24-70L II, 28-70L, 70-200L, 70-200L IS II, 85L II, 135L, 40 Pancake, 50 Macro, 100 Macro, 135 Soft-Focus, Crappy EF-S Kit Lens, 430EX II, Metz 45 CL-4, Metz 60 CT-4 (x2), White Lightnings, and lots of other junk...

Cregg Annarino

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2011, 09:13:58 AM »
Hello CR,

I've been following CR for a couple months now since I bought my T3i and have delved into the world of photography.  I've done some wildlife photography recently and some portraits and have discovered I really enjoy portraits and events.

I recently shot my brother's (with my wife's help) engagement photos with my new camera and a 50 1.8 lens I borrowed from a friend. They came out pretty good (Well at least he thought they did) and asked if I would shoot his wedding.  While I have no experience shooting weddings (and clearly told him so:), I said I would.  So...

What lenses do you suggest I use.  I know I can borrow the 50 1.8 from a friend and she'll let me borrow her 28-70 2.8L lens.  I'll probably borrow her 60D and shot with my wife (She'll use the T3i).

Also, any other suggestions for a budding wedding photographer.  Thanks in advance.

Mike

Hey Mike,

So what month and where is the wedding going to be? Is it a day or night wedding? Exactly what gear do you currently have or will borrow for the wedding day?

Weddings can be tough for sure but you have some time to plan and prepare and get any gear you may need so that's a good thing. I do 30 weddings or so a year, full time and have been doing it for just about 10 years. They most definitely aren't easy and you have to be prepared to do more than just click photos. You will be directing people as well during stuff like the formals and group shots. That is a big part of the day some people don't realize they even have to do.

You will need to make decisions when it comes to formals and the group shots. You can't be indecisive, wedding parties hate that. You can't ask the clients where they want the pics, stuff like that....and since it's your bro and his friends and your family, everyone will be nice to you and these things won't be a big factor like they would be at a clients wedding...lmao....drunk and jerky people can certainly be a huge pain on a wedding day at formals time...lol...Almost every wedding is a rush, things like makeup and hair always run late.

You will either come out of this wedding thinking, dam I will never do that again...Or you may love it and want to continue.

Old Shooter

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2011, 10:57:29 AM »
You will be directing people as well during stuff like the formals and group shots. That is a big part of the day some people don't realize they even have to do.

So VERY true!

Almost every wedding is a rush, things like makeup and hair always run late.

LOL!  Again, so VERY true!
5DIII, XSi, A2, 10s (x2), 20-35L, 24-70L II, 28-70L, 70-200L, 70-200L IS II, 85L II, 135L, 40 Pancake, 50 Macro, 100 Macro, 135 Soft-Focus, Crappy EF-S Kit Lens, 430EX II, Metz 45 CL-4, Metz 60 CT-4 (x2), White Lightnings, and lots of other junk...

briansquibb

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2011, 06:28:51 PM »

Also, I know I didn't really explain the exact set up, so if you don't get it, I can easily draw a picture and post how you would set it up.  : D

2 speedlites with umbrellas about 90 degrees, reflecting in gold, pw on hotshoe etc - this works well.

I try to get it reasonably close to the bar for some amusing shots later in the evening.

Old Shooter

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2011, 11:01:19 AM »
the 24.70mm is an amazing lens, ive used it basically at all my weddings this year

+1 for the 24-70L!  My old 28-70mmL almost never left my camera on wedding days...  The 20-35mmL was great for interior shots of the church during the service and some edgy WA stuff during the reception.  The 70-200mmL was what I shot from a tripod at the back; if the church was "photog unfriendly" and was on my second body for B&W portraiture (if requested by the bride & groom)...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2011, 11:01:19 AM »

libertyranger

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2011, 04:38:20 PM »
Hello CR,

Mike

Hey Mike,

So what month and where is the wedding going to be? Is it a day or night wedding? Exactly what gear do you currently have or will borrow for the wedding day?

Weddings can be tough for sure but you have some time to plan and prepare and get any gear you may need so that's a good thing. I do 30 weddings or so a year, full time and have been doing it for just about 10 years. They most definitely aren't easy and you have to be prepared to do more than just click photos. You will be directing people as well during stuff like the formals and group shots. That is a big part of the day some people don't realize they even have to do.

You will need to make decisions when it comes to formals and the group shots. You can't be indecisive, wedding parties hate that. You can't ask the clients where they want the pics, stuff like that....and since it's your bro and his friends and your family, everyone will be nice to you and these things won't be a big factor like they would be at a clients wedding...lmao....drunk and jerky people can certainly be a huge pain on a wedding day at formals time...lol...Almost every wedding is a rush, things like makeup and hair always run late.

You will either come out of this wedding thinking, dam I will never do that again...Or you may love it and want to continue.

Thanks for the advice! 

The wedding is in March and it will be an indoor wedding (both ceremony and reception).  My current equipment:

T3i w/ Kit Lens 18-55 f/3.5-5.6  (What I own)
60D w/ 24-70 f2.8  (What I will borrow)

Per the advice of several people here and much research I have down on my own, I plan on getting a Speedlite by the time the wedding comes.  I know I will need some practice with it before the actual wedding so in February I will probably get one for my B-Day.  I'm thinking either the 430EX II or the 580EX II.  There's a decent jump in price between the two so I'll have to think about which one.  However, I would not want to et the 430 and then regret not paying a little extra for a better flash.  Any thoughts?

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2011, 06:19:16 PM »
the 580s are great but expensive, you will be using 2 cameras so I would say you are much better off getting 2 430s one on each. just use direct flash in ettl and you lose less power, dont stick domes and stuff on it.

with that combo you should be good, leave your t3i with 18-55 on F8 use it for groups where there are more than 2. reason is with it stopped down to f8 your image quality will be optimal for that lens body and you dont have to worry about stuffing up the DOF. (I have done this so many times with groups) been in a rush and left the aperture wide or bumped it  :-[

have your 60D with 24-70 set at f2.8 and use that for you cropped in shots couple shots and single person shots and get that nice background blur.

Also with the flashes 2 basic rules to get you out of trouble look at the back ground if its brighter than the subject dial in some +EV on the flash using the dial on the back if the background is darker than the subject dial in some -EV on the flash, do some practice with this to get a feel for it before hand.

also if there is a white ceiling or even a wall near where you are shooting bounce the flash off that.

be prepared for so much stuff happening all at once. also with the flashes as i mentioned get the yongnuo battery packs they are around $40 on ebay and will take away the worry of running out of flash battery you need 12 batteries per flash, 4 in the flash and 8 in the battery pack, take some spares but you probably wont need to change batterys if using the battey packs
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2011, 06:19:16 PM »