April 23, 2014, 08:03:55 PM

Author Topic: New Photographer. Need suggestions :)  (Read 10682 times)

Flake

Re: New Photographer. Need suggestions :)
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2011, 05:48:20 AM »
I'd advise you get an SB E2 flash bracket for weddings, especially if you have an extending lens (they're cheap on Ebay and there's not much to go wrong).  Trying to shoot in portrait mode with a flash on the left (normally) side of the camera casts shadows especially if there's a lens in the way, you're likely to take more portraits at times in the wedding than landscape, it will make a difference.

In the days of film & medium format many viewfinders were look down type, and the camera was at waist level, this is more flattering than standing bolt upright and looking down on people, which does not produce such a nice image - shoot from waist height where practical.

Most wedding photographers offer different packages, I would suggest that as a first outing you only shoot the basic one - no bride getting ready, or candids at the reception.  Just shoot the ceremony, guys at the venue, bride & dad arriving, entrance etc etc. Then the reception group shots etc and a staged cutting of the cake with just the bride & groom in the shot.

After than you're done, enjoy the meal & the reception and relax!  If you feel like it shoot a few of the speeches, but you'll probably be wiped out at this staged - stressed & irritable!

When you offer the proofs to the happy couple don't be too dissapointed when they choose all the worst images, they seem to have an ability to home in on the most boring formulaic images, and that special shot you spent ages creating and you think deserves an award barely gets a first glance never mind a second!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2011, 05:48:20 AM »

handsomerob

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2011, 07:34:22 AM »
When you offer the proofs to the happy couple don't be too dissapointed when they choose all the worst images, they seem to have an ability to home in on the most boring formulaic images, and that special shot you spent ages creating and you think deserves an award barely gets a first glance never mind a second!

+1 hehe, very sad but very true!

It seems to happen every single time, magically ;)

UncleFester

« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2011, 02:47:09 AM »
Unless this is a very casual, back-yard type affair with less than 20 people, you should politely say you've reconsidered, and don't think it would work.   For a full-size, formal wedding, I agree with the previous post: you can either be the photographer, or be involved; not both.

I've only shot a few weddings, but I can tell you it requires a lot of thinking ahead to get yourself in the right position at the right time for the right shot.

If you want to get a taste of weddings, I suggest you find a local wedding photographer and offer to be a volunteer second-shooter.

briansquibb

« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2011, 11:00:08 AM »
i dont know if any1 could help me but is a 60d or 7d good enough to shoot weddings? or would i need to look at maybe the 5d?

Definitely a 7D is good enough to get started - providing you have the right lens.

thepancakeman

• 7D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2011, 02:54:12 PM »
i dont know if any1 could help me but is a 60d or 7d good enough to shoot weddings? or would i need to look at maybe the 5d?

It depends on the expectations, but I know of "successful" wedding shoots (because I was involved as backup photographer) that were done with a 40D.

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2011, 05:58:17 PM »

I use a 5DII and a 1D3 however the 1D is heavy I am thinking about getting a 7D and 17-55 f2.8 to use instead as its much lighter then the 5DII i would use the 70-200 f2.8 or the 85mm 1.4
I think the 7D is a very capable camera especially with good glass.
APS-H Fanboy

MazV-L

« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2011, 12:36:55 AM »
I've used all 3 of my Dslrs (see list below) at weddings and 2 of those are only apsc.  I think LENS CHOICE is more important than your choice of camera body.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2011, 12:36:55 AM »

thepancakeman

• 7D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2011, 09:59:18 AM »
I think LENS CHOICE is more important than your choice of camera body.

+1.  Good lens + mediocre body = decent photos.  Crappy lens + awesome body = crappy pictures.

daveheinzel

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • daveheinzel.com
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2011, 11:48:17 AM »
I have been in your shoes - I shot my brother's wedding several years ago. I had done a few before, and I've done about a dozen since. But man - you really have your work cut out for you.

Here are some practical tips based on your specific situation:

1) Like it has been suggested, strongly consider hiring a professional photographer as a gift to your brother and his wife (and to yourself). I get the sense you're not going to take this advice and will shoot it anyway, which I understand. But yeah, you will not experience the wedding from behind the camera. My memories of my brother's wedding are fuzzy and hectic. It's a shame really.

2) Eat before you arrive and bring snacks. You might get to sit down and have a meal, but do not count on it. You might have all the best equipment in the world, but if you're famished, your work will greatly suffer. Eat and drink (water) at every chance you get, because you won't get many. And honestly, you should use any breaks you have to review your images to make sure you're actually capturing what you think you are. If your lens got switched to manual focus and you didn't realize it, that is one of the most frustrating experiences you can imagine.

3) If you are struggling with low light (which you will, or worse - you won't realize that you are), put the camera on auto, put the flash on your camera and point it straight at your subject and simply focus on putting yourself in the best position possible. Your photos will definitely not look "awesome," but they will be properly exposed and in focus. And because you aren't fiddling with your gear, you can get in places and take photos that none of the guests will, which will set your photos apart from the ones that they'll post on Facebook immediately after (and during) the wedding.

4) Don't plan on switching lenses on camera bodies at any point during the day. Have 2 cameras and 2 lenses (extras in your bag for backup are fine). You'll miss photos when switching lenses, and you'll be rushed, likely dropping things. With your gear, I'd put the 24-70 on the T3i and the 50mm on the 60D. This leaves you without a telephoto lens, so if you can get a 70-200, use that instead of the 50. But don't sweat it if you can't get a 70-200. I love mine and use it a lot, but for weddings, I usually go more wide.

5) Put the priority on capturing the moment vs. making it look pretty. When it comes down to it, just get the photo. And then get lots more.

This is not advice I'd give to anyone who wants to deliver the most professional, aesthetically-pleasing wedding photos, but it is practical advice aimed at simply not screwing up majorly. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2011, 11:48:17 AM »