Gear Talk > Software & Accessories

Monitor recomendations for viewing and editing

(1/7) > >>

RC:
I've been wanting to upgrade my monitor for a while and I'm now beginning my research.   I'm looking for some advice and suggestions on specs, brands, and size from the CR community .  I want a very good monitor optimized for viewing and editing photos--everything else is secondary (I don't care about watching movies on my PC and I'm not a gamer).  I use LR as my main editor and I think with a widescreen display I could optimize LR's interface better.

I currently have a 19" Viewsonic flat screen VP9506.   It has the standard aspect ratio (non widescreen), DVI and RGB inputs, and refresh rate up to 72 Hz.  My graphics controller is GeForce 9600 GSO with 768 Mbs, and with both RGB and DVI outputs.  Oh and I do run Windows as my only OS.

I'm not committed to, but I prefer to stay away from Viewsonic since I've had a string of horrible customer service and hardware experiences over the last decade--maybe they finally got their act together now.

Thanks in advance!   :)

wickidwombat:
Ive been looking at this offering from Dell
it looks like the best bang for buck at the moment
especially in the IPS type

http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=au&cs=audhs1&l=en&s=dhs&sku=210-31399&redirect=1

dr croubie:
I've got a Dell Ultrasharp U2711 2560*1440 and I love it, currently $800 in Aus.
I was contemplating the U2410 1920*1200 24", but for only $100 price-difference, I took the extra pixel real-estate.
The 21", 23", and 24"LED only have an 82% Colour Gamut (although you can get three 21" for the price of the 27").
And the 30" costs double the 27" for  160 more pixels along the top/bottom, and 99% instead of 96% AdobeRGB coverage (which I don't use anyway).

There's not much else comparable in this quality/price bracket, Asus have an IPS-something that I looked at, but the reviews weren't too good, and I didn't have money for Eizo.

A few people have complained about the build-quality of the Dell, but I tend to look at the image on the screen, not the frame. Get your own VESA-mount stand if it matters that much.

Other than that, I can't fault it, except that it absolutely chews power, I can feel it radiating heat from a distance, even with brightness at 10. But I can live with that (most other comparable monitors do the same). 3-year next-day on-site 1-dead-pixel-and-you-can-replace-the-whole-thing warranty I hope to never use, but it's definite peace of mind.

Just a tip, don't buy it now. I originally saw mine for $700 in June, then in July it was up to $800. Randomly I saw it one day on a '3-day-sale' for $530, hit the buy button immediately. Turns out these '3-day-sales' aren't too uncommon, especially with this model because they don't move too fast otherwise. So unless you want it tomorrow, keep checking and save a packet...

pinnaclephotography:
Take a look at the different panel technologies.  All photographers should avoid TN based panels when possible, due to the inherent weaknesses in color accuracy, color depth, viewing angles, etc.
http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

A IPS based panel is probably the best route, and depending on your budget, a 24" with 1920x1200 or 30" 2560x1600 would be the sizes/resolutions to look for.  IMO, the 16x10 aspect ratio is better than 16x9 for photo editing/viewing.  Here is a fairly comprehensive list of the models available:
http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php

The prices are approximately the following:

Arm: a good 24" with 1920x1200 resolution

Leg: an excellent 30" with 2560x1600 resolution, such as the HP ZR30w or Dell UltraSharp U3011

Firstborn: mostly the same as 'Leg' but with hefty NEC or LaCie markup (sometimes including a bundled color calibration tool)

PeterJ:
I've got a Dell U2410 and have been very happy with it, unless you want to fork out a lot more cash for a 30" it looks like the 27" U2711 dr croubie suggested might be the go at the moment. I only went 24" because at the time there was a bit more of a gap and I had an older 24" I now use as a second monitor so it made sense to stick with same size/resolution.

Actually the older Dell blew its power supply recently, it was about 6 years old and I picked up a new power supply for $60 odd and it's back in business. Guess that's one advantage to the more popular brands that spare parts seem to be available a long time.

For your video card I wouldn't touch that, I had an older 9500 that I upgraded to a GTX295 because I had some apps that I wanted CUDA for, but running two monitors at 1920x1200 I could barely pick a difference in speed for normal applications, and the old card would easily let me watch an HD video on one monitor without any noticable affect on the performance of the other.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version