September 21, 2014, 04:16:17 AM

Author Topic: The Jump To Full Frame  (Read 4947 times)

KitFireburn

The Jump To Full Frame
« on: December 18, 2011, 03:26:44 AM »
So i took the plunge and splurged on a 50D as an upgrade from my Rebel XS, this is my gift from "Santa" this year, but now i am considering getting a full frame camera to go with it since i now have a nice lineup of lenses.

The question being, should i upgrade to the Classic 5D, or the 5D Mark II when the time comes to decide. Probably going to wait until the 5D Mark III comes out so prices drop further and whatnot. Unless it would be in my best interests to save for the Mark III.

To be perfectly honest, the jump to any full frame camera would suffice in my eyes, i just love the shorter focal lengths, and from the photos i've seen come out of the Classic 5D, i'd probably be happy with one of them. Sure the controls may be clunky compared to the Mark II, but that still doesn't disregard it as a great camera.

Thanks for reading!
~Randy

Discuss. :)

canon rumors FORUM

The Jump To Full Frame
« on: December 18, 2011, 03:26:44 AM »

briansquibb

Re: The Jump To Full Frame
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 04:53:51 AM »
The 5D classic is a nice camera - but is being rapidly caught by modern cameras, such as the 60D . I would go for a used 5DII if you can, or even a 1Ds2 if you are feeling adventurous :)

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 05:04:59 AM »
Was in a similar situation recently and picked up a used 1Ds Mk ii.  It has its pros and cons compared to a 5Dii, but was the right decision for me with a tougher body and faster autofucus and response times.   But obviously it lacks video and I'm finding battery maintenance a little tedious.  I'm liking the move from a 30D. 
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

KarelP

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 05:32:18 AM »
I just bought a used 5D Classic with 6000 clicks and I love it. Sure, the mk II is more up to date, but the Classic is a fine combo with my 50D and it enables me to use all my L lenses to their full capacity. 17-40mm is very wide! I will probably eventually upgrade to a used mark II, but that will be a while.

It's a lot cheaper not to be on the bleeding edge! Used 5d Classic with grip and 3 batteries set me back E 675, my 50D batteries fit it as well, so now I have 8 batteries... a used 5D mk II with grip would have set me back around E1500, and then I'd still have to buy extra batteries for the mkII.

In the end it's your money, and it depends on what you shoot, but with a 50D which has the crop factor advantage and a reasonably fast burst rate and a 5D Classic that has the FF and DoV advantage you should be set for some time to come...

For  now enjoy your 50D, it's a great camera as far as I'm concerned.

@briansquibb: can't judge about the 60D, is probably more modern, but I do know one thing: it's not FF...

Cheers,

Karel
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 05:56:01 AM by KarelP »

MazV-L

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 06:00:19 AM »
I also own a 5D classic and 50D, I bought my 5D nearly 2years ago, be aware the 5D classic did have known issues with the mirror coming loose, I had that problem with mine, however, because it was a known issue, Canon replaced the mirror free of charge and I've not had any further major issues with the camera in abt 18 months of use, it's an awesome tool for portrait photography!

'Though having gotten used to the 50D's lovely big screen you'd find the one on the 5D is very inferior, and it doesn't have liveview and tends to overexpose in Av mode (on my 5D anyhow). These drawbacks annoy me enough to seriously consider an upgrade!

I'd recommend go straight to 5Dii or 5Diii when it comes out so you're less likely to have regrets!

KarelP

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 06:13:00 AM »
I also own a 5D classic and 50D, I bought my 5D nearly 2years ago, be aware the 5D classic did have known issues with the mirror coming loose, I had that problem with mine, however, because it was a known issue, Canon replaced the mirror free of charge and I've not had any further major issues with the camera in abt 18 months of use, it's an awesome tool for portrait photography!

'Though having gotten used to the 50D's lovely big screen you'd find the one on the 5D is very inferior, and it doesn't have liveview and tends to overexpose in Av mode (on my 5D anyhow). These drawbacks annoy me enough to seriously consider an upgrade!

I'd recommend go straight to 5Dii or 5Diii when it comes out so you're less likely to have regrets!

I do agree that the user interface of the 50D (and hence the mark II) is far superior tot the Classic. That does take some getting used to. Still, it beats the stuff I cut my teeth on: my Zenith  and Nikkormat EL SLRs in the 70's didn't have any usable interface...

Cheers,

Karel

briansquibb

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 06:14:32 AM »

@briansquibb: can't judge about the 60D, is probably more modern, but I do know one thing: it's not FF...

Which is why I suggested the 5D2 and the 1Ds2 which are both ff. I would suggest for battery life grips aren't needed for the 5D2 - they are a pain if using a flash bracket

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 06:14:32 AM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 07:08:12 AM »
So I took the plunge and splurged on a 50D as an upgrade from my Rebel XS, but now I am considering getting a full frame camera to go with it since I now have a nice lineup of lenses.
The question being, should i upgrade to the Classic 5D, or the 5D Mark II when the time comes to decide.
To be perfectly honest, the jump to any full frame camera would suffice in my eyes
Randy

You have just got your 50D. It's a great camera. My suggestion would be to have a total passionate love affair with the 50D, get to know it backwards and enjoy the output before putting too much attention on what your next upgrade will be. Quality time with the 50D is going to inform you in ways you could not anticipate. What is it about full frame that makes it a "must-have" for you?

I shoot full frame, 1.3x crop & 1.6x crop bodies on a daily basis and move freely between the three. My personal viewpoint isthat there is an overblown marketing department driven perception that full frame is something etherial and almost mystical...it's not. It's useful at times for sure, and very nice to have, but unless your kit is making money for you, upgraditis can be a financially punishing trap.

The magic is in the pictures you take.

Paul Wright

Rampado

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 10:08:35 AM »
my sugestion is spend on the newest tecnology you can afford without donating yous kidney in the black market :)

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 11:37:05 AM »
So i took the plunge and splurged on a 50D as an upgrade from my Rebel XS, this is my gift from "Santa" this year, but now i am considering getting a full frame camera to go with it since i now have a nice lineup of lenses.

The question being, should i upgrade to the Classic 5D, or the 5D Mark II when the time comes to decide. Probably going to wait until the 5D Mark III comes out so prices drop further and whatnot. Unless it would be in my best interests to save for the Mark III.

To be perfectly honest, the jump to any full frame camera would suffice in my eyes, i just love the shorter focal lengths, and from the photos i've seen come out of the Classic 5D, i'd probably be happy with one of them. Sure the controls may be clunky compared to the Mark II, but that still doesn't disregard it as a great camera.

Thanks for reading!
~Randy

Discuss. :)

Just to throw another idea out there -- you could get a film camera like the EOS 3 for peanuts these days -- you could resell it for what you by it for, so you would only be out of pocketing shipping costs.

shermanstank

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 11:45:22 AM »
Have you tried a film camera? A lot of professional grade 35mm cameras are already heavily discounted and though it costs to process the negatives, you won't be shooting as many compared to a digital camera.

I have a CANON EOS 1V-HS and I love it. It is excellent for portraitures, landscapes and fast-paced action --  shoots 10fps ( 3.6 seconds on 36 exp film roll  ;D ) with very accurate AF.  If I were to "upgrade" on a 35mm film SLR, it would be on film emulsion which costs 5-6 bucks.  On digital, you would have to upgrade the body every couple of years, which costs thousands of dollars.

Which one is more economical?  Well it depends on your shooting style and needs. If I were to shoot an event which would require hundreds of shots, I would basically use my digital camera. If during the course of the event, I have the opportunity for a more intimate portrait shoots, then I will use my 1V-HS. For me I love the look of film on portraits. I do plan on shooting weddings professionally and a lot of high-end photographers, use BOTH FILM AND DIGITAL.  They even use a Medium Format film camera!!--- I would only buy a high-end digital camera once I am making money.  I could always rent a 1D, 1Ds or 1Dx if need be. 

For the meantime, I am having a lot of fun a with the film SLR and together with the L lenses, I am capturing  beautiful images.

My 2 cents.

Cheers!

Sherwin
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 10:24:01 AM by shermanstank »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 12:52:15 PM »
In the past, prices for the 5D went up after the 5D MK II was introduced.  Prices were at their lowest a month or two before.  I have no way of knowing for sure if this will happen again, but prices are dropping a little too much right now, so they may very well go up after a new model is introduced.

Certainly, in two years, they will drop more, so it depends a loot on good timing and luck to catch them at the lowest point.

archangelrichard

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 12:56:34 PM »
1. let me join those suggesting a film body - there is no comparison for sharpness or dynamic range between film and digital - which isn't the point of digital (the output of digitalis not for high resolution surfaces' 300 dpi being standard for printout), digital is for CONVENIENCE, lower cost per image, ease of editing / creating cheap "artsy" effects

2. The "jump" to full frame is also a jump to a better caliber camera in your case (the 5D just plain does more than a 50D) so the build quality is different as well (and the 5d2 is a better build than the 5d1 - were there not improvements to lower light sensitivity, etc. as well?)

3. in the long run this is a personal (and budgetary) choice; I would go for the 5d2 if I could afford it

4. As well, I would go for a A2E (5 film) or 3 or 1 if for no other reason than just to handle it and take a few pictures and see what you are missing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 12:56:34 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 01:20:53 PM »
1. let me join those suggesting a film body - there is no comparison for sharpness or dynamic range between film and digital - which isn't the point of digital (the output of digitalis not for high resolution surfaces' 300 dpi being standard for printout), digital is for CONVENIENCE, lower cost per image, ease of editing / creating cheap "artsy" effects

2. The "jump" to full frame is also a jump to a better caliber camera in your case (the 5D just plain does more than a 50D) so the build quality is different as well (and the 5d2 is a better build than the 5d1 - were there not improvements to lower light sensitivity, etc. as well?)

3. in the long run this is a personal (and budgetary) choice; I would go for the 5d2 if I could afford it

4. As well, I would go for a A2E (5 film) or 3 or 1 if for no other reason than just to handle it and take a few pictures and see what you are missing

Troll!!

KitFireburn

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 04:10:56 PM »
Wow! Thank you all so so much for your input! I didn't think i'd be getting so many replies, haha!

My reasoning behind getting a full frame camera would be for the look of the photos, 50mm is 50mm, very shallow dof, nice color reproduction, and so on and so forth.

So all in all, i have been looking at much older 35mm film SLR's aside from the 5D and the Mark II, and i remember the love affair i had with my very first camera a Kodak Star 110 film, maybe that wouldn't be a bad idea going back to film, it would bring back good memories.

And seeing as i don't really need 20+ megapixels to be happy with a camera (Megapixels are not a bother, i'd be happy with 10 imo) Maybe getting a professional film body wouldn't be a bad choice. (I'm all for that film feel, love it. )

I've had the idea of going back to a nice manual focus 35mm film SLR in my head for awhile now. Looking at AE-1 Programs, and the phenomenal F-1n. Maybe i should consider getting an autofocus SLR like the 1V or the EOS 630 (Since i've heard simply phenomal amounts of praise directed towards them) And that way, i'd be able to use all the current lenses in my lineup with them.

Thanks for all the ideas and thoughts on this guys! I'm beginning to like it here a lot. I might become a regular on the forums. :)

~Randy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 04:10:56 PM »