October 21, 2014, 04:25:33 PM

Author Topic: any flaws in the canon 60d?  (Read 8874 times)

handsomerob

Re: any flaws in the canon 60d?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 06:04:19 AM »
+1 for the lack of MA and 96% VF coverage, quite significant 'flaws' for a camera in this price range.

It's not clear from your post which features you need/what you like to shoot and which lenses you have, but if you are an existing Rebel user and want to upgrade, I agree with the others suggesting getting a 7D instead. It's a more complete camera and a bigger jump from a Rebel, I would go for that. But it costs more, obviously, but it's well worth the extra money especially if you want to shoot sports.

If this will be your first DSLR and you are concerned with 60D's 'old age', you could always get the rumored 650D (which is about to be released in February and will be available very quickly) and spend more money on some decent glass. For better IQ, this is far more important than a body with more features (and in this case, basically with the same sensor).

You probably already know that the Rebels lack quite a few features (no big dial at the back of the camera, max shutter speed limited to 1/4000, more shutter lag, slower burst rate, only one cross-type sensor, smaller pentamirror VF, worse battery life, etc...) but the 650D will most probably have the same 18MP sensor which means basically identical image and video quality, if not with slightly better low light performance thanks to the new DIGIC V.

The 60D is a fine camera, nonetheless. It has a lot more to offer than a Rebel but is also priced accordingly. It all comes down to what you need and what you don't.

Good luck with your decision ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 06:04:19 AM »

catz

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 08:11:46 AM »
You probably already know that the Rebels lack quite a few features (no big dial at the back of the camera, max shutter speed limited to 1/4000, more shutter lag, slower burst rate, only one cross-type sensor, smaller pentamirror VF, worse battery life, etc...) but the 650D will most probably have the same 18MP sensor which means basically identical image and video quality,

Video is going to be far from identical: DIGIC 4 does line skipping. DIGIC 5 hopefully adds the lines up and results less aliasing in video, at least reading between the lines this is to be expected from 1DX.

This results not identical video to 60D on any model that uses DIGIC V, but massively better video quality than 60D. All the lack of resolution and detail in the DSLR video is because of line skipping, it has about nothing to do with video compression, 8 bit color space and 4:2:0 coding, instead it is crippled down by reading only few lines from the sensor and that results aliasing that results false detail that results poor real detail and horrible moire.

Unless of course Canon has implemented line skipping for the low end models to justify purchasing top of the line 1 DX. However, someone was claiming that a DIGIC V power shot is making video with less aliasing than any of the DIGIC IV models, so extrapolating from that, if that is true, there should be a massively huge difference in video quality between 60D and 650D, meaning that 60D will be piece of crap for video whereas 650D might be useful. Assuming of course, that the reports about the image scaling algorithm used for video in DIGIC V are truthful.

Regardless of this, it is expected that the quality will not be identical no matter what is the case since DIGIC V does better scaling anyway most likely even if it would be still skipping lines to some extent.

If a DIGIC V camera is going to be released anytime soon, and one has a target to shoot video, it would be a good idea to wait a little. Or if it is important to start shooting now, then the best choice today is 5D mark II which makes the best video out of the Canon cameras currently on market (greatest detail, greatest latitude, least aliasing and moire of the Canon DSLRs currently on market) (C300 does not count because it is not really available yet and it is in a completely different price category). 

Mendolera

• Canon AE-1
  • Heck, I’m not even mad; that’s amazing..
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 08:25:28 AM »
Also both (7D and 60D) are now available through the CLP at a 20% discount on the refurbs...

You can pick up a refurb 60D for around $640 or a 7D for around $1090 which are both excellent deals
5DIII | EOS M | 24-105 F/4L | 100-400 F/4.5-5.6L | 70-200 F/4L | 85 F/1.8 | 50 F/1.4 | 580EXII | 22 F/2 M / 18-55 M | Sigma 105mm OS Macro

Isaac

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 08:38:43 AM »
Also both (7D and 60D) are now available through the CLP at a 20% discount on the refurbs...

You can pick up a refurb 60D for around $640 or a 7D for around $1090 which are both excellent deals

If you spend just a bit more, you will be able to get the 5D mark II - definitely worth it.

whatta

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 08:41:03 AM »
I think (guess) the 650d, 7d2, 70d and 700d will have the same (24mp?) apsc sensor all with digic 5 of course. The current 18mp apsc sensor is out since 9/2009.
Canon 400d | efs 15-85 | efs 60/2.8 | Sigma 30/1.4 | (broken efs 17-85)

cx1

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 09:28:27 AM »
Had mine for a year and love it.

I wish it had MA, but obviously not a deal breaker. Small issue with the grips.They have started popping off right hand side on front and back recently.

NormanBates

• Canon 7D MK II
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 10:01:19 AM »
* "save a bit more and going for the 5D2" is a bit misleading: glass for the 5D2 is, in general, a lot more expensive

* it's not for sure that 650D will have better video quality than the current generation; in particular, if it keeps the same sensor it would probably keep line-skipping too, and therefore aliasing and moire, even if it has digic 5; the reason is that getting rid of line-skipping on the current 18mpix sensor could lead to massive rolling shutter issues: read-out time on this sensor is around 60ms, and line-skipping lowers that to 20ms; digic 5 wouldn't help you here: you need a new sensor with faster read-out time (like the on on the 1Dx)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 10:01:19 AM »

thejoyofsobe

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 10:32:27 AM »
Love my 60D. My only complaints are movie mode being completely on the other side of the dial (but that's common amongst Canon DSLRs) and the lack of manual lens adjustment. The feel of pushing the buttons is hateful (maybe due to some gaskets for weather sealing?) but the incorporation of the multi-controller into the wheel, the DOF preview button to the other side of the lens mount and the mode dial lock just feel so right once you get accustomed to the change. Very good buffer performance for its class too.

m3tek44

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2011, 11:13:33 AM »
I am happy owner of 60D.  It's not old,,, I did buy 5D II last weekend but now I will be returning it and invest "L" lens.  Personally 60D features (i.e Q") layout is better than 5D II and it does NOT feel cheap plastic.  I am willing to invest more on "L" lens and wait for 5D III (I hope 2012). 

You've already answered your question...... Meaning if you're budget is 60D than you have no other option than 60D (unless you are willing to buy used 5D/7D which cost much higher than 60D new).  For me 60D works great and FF will be nice to have but I don't need FF now.  Top of that Canon is running rebate until early next yr. so now is great time to buy,,,,

Hope this help~~
5D Mark III/60D (sold) /  24-70mm f2.8L / 16-35mm f2.8L II / 70-200mm f2.8L IS II/ 85mm f1.8/ 580EX II

bigblue1ca

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2011, 12:29:46 PM »
I have no complaints about my 60D and I've never had any focus issues with my Canon glass for it.  Unless you specifically want to shoot sports (7D), I'd save the money and go with the 60D, the money you save can be put towards good glass.

friedmud

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2011, 06:02:58 PM »
Having justgonethrough this myself (upgraded from a 450D)... and ended up with a 7D that I personally feel isn't incredible (see my "earthshattering" thread) but has a ton of awesome features... My advice is to:

WAIT!

If your current camera isn't broken... I would hang on to it for a little while longer.  The 7D2, 5DIII, or 650D will probably be announced in January / February... and then you will have more information to make a more informed decision.

If I could do it all over again I would have continued waiting....

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 06:14:46 PM »
its so unfair they wont even allow you to register to be able to buy the refurb units unless you are in the USA :(
APS-H Fanboy

handsomerob

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2011, 06:23:45 PM »
Having justgonethrough this myself (upgraded from a 450D)... and ended up with a 7D that I personally feel isn't incredible (see my "earthshattering" thread) but has a ton of awesome features... My advice is to:

WAIT!

If your current camera isn't broken... I would hang on to it for a little while longer.  The 7D2, 5DIII, or 650D will probably be announced in January / February... and then you will have more information to make a more informed decision.

If I could do it all over again I would have continued waiting....

Not sure about the 5DIII but 7D2 is very unlikely in Jan/Feb. Around Photokina would be a more realistic expectation ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2011, 06:23:45 PM »

friedmud

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2011, 06:45:57 PM »
Not sure about the 5DIII but 7D2 is very unlikely in Jan/Feb. Around Photokina would be a more realistic expectation ;)

Good point.  Just pointing out that new stuff is definitely expected in the coming year!

handsomerob

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2011, 06:49:53 PM »

Good point.  Just pointing out that new stuff is definitely expected in the coming year!

Yes, true! 2012 will be a very interesting year.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2011, 06:49:53 PM »