August 02, 2014, 04:49:38 AM

Author Topic: Lens suggestions  (Read 15682 times)

michaelthomasj

Re: All round lenses
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2011, 03:56:20 PM »
If I were you, for a trip to Iceland where the scenery is stunning and with a crop sensor, I would get:

1. Canon 10-22. Amazon USA have it today new for 650$. Insane deal...lowest in over 3 years.
2. Canon 50 1.4.

Thats about all you need for low light, portraiture and landscape. Also you are 14 (I think that was mentioned in a post earlier...), so learning to use these properly will take most of the trip.

Definitely get a tripod. A good one. If you buy cheap you will buy again. I have the 055XPROB with the 322RC2 head. a little heavy for travel (~4kg), but fantastic.

If you really think you want to do wildlife photography, rent a 70-200 f/4. I would not recommend it. Wildlife photography is a professional's game (not that landscape and portraiture arent), but in a place like Iceland, the 10-22 will give you enough great shots for one trip. The secret to great landscapes shots is filters. Also expensive to get into. The cheap alternative is HDR. Read up some tutorials on HDR for now.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2011, 03:56:20 PM »

DanoPhoto

• Rebel T5i
  • There is beauty in simplicity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2011, 04:12:16 PM »
+1 to Michael for the filter recommendation.  get a circluar polarizing filter to really make the landscapes POP !
1D4 | 5D2 | 16-35L II | 24-70L | 50/1.4 | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 100L Macro | 300/2.8L IS | 1.4x III TC | 2x III TC | 580EX II | MT24EX | lots of accessories & gadgets

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2011, 04:16:21 PM »
neuroanatomist: I am 6'2" right now, but I am probably going to get taller, as I'm only 14 at the moment, the tripod I found is a Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 it looks really good and extends to a good height, also, with a ball head it sounds almost perfect, but if I don't manage to get it for Iceland, I could try a gorillapod.

Thanks for all of the other information, I will see if I can find three or four lenses, definately the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM and the EF 70-200mm f/4L USM (Non IS), and then I can decide on one others, I still can't decide, I am thinking not so much towards the 50mm f/1.4, and maybe go for the 17-55mm or 15-85mm because of the range in focal lengths, but is it worth it? as 50mm is quite well fitting between the 70-200 and 10-22mm, and a lot cheaper.  I would have the kit lens, just in case, but I could still sell it, and maybe consider one of the other standard zoom lenses.

Would I need a good 'general' lens?  Not sure whether or not I could afford it (15-85mm?)  I could always hire it, not very expensive at all

Thanks, James
What lenses you pick will also depends on the nature of the trip to Iceland. If you are on your own, you  will have a lot of free time to set up the gear and take picture. If you are on an organized tour, you may not have the luxury. It also depends on you shooting habit and experience. There is no doubt that both 17-55 f2.8 and the 15 to 85 are very good optically and are perfect walk around lenses. You have a choice between  speed and reach. As for flash, there is no such thing a  too powerful. The more popwer the better, especially if you are using defuser etc. Camera bag is the most personal item. You need to tray it out with your equipment.  Amnother word of caution. most European air line are having 8 Kg limit for carry on. Please be aware of that .

AcinonyxJG

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2011, 05:24:42 PM »
Some amazing answers here, thanks you all very much, I have thought about the kind of situations I might be in for photography on the trip, it is all organised and so I don't think I will need the 70-200mm, so the 10-22mm and the 15-85mm sound like two very good lenses that I will use, a limit to just 2 lenses (probably won't use the kit lens) will prevent too much weight, and also allow me to set up faster and take the photo I want on any time I have during the day.  I will try extremely hard and buy a tripod too.  A couple of you have also recommended Circular Polarizer filters, so will have a look at those. Regarding the 15-85mm and 24-105mm, what are the benefits of each one, as different people like the 24-105mm, and some prefer the 15-85mm.

Thanks, I really appreciate all of the help you have all given me, James

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2011, 05:53:40 PM »
Some amazing answers here, thanks you all very much, I have thought about the kind of situations I might be in for photography on the trip, it is all organised and so I don't think I will need the 70-200mm, so the 10-22mm and the 15-85mm sound like two very good lenses that I will use, a limit to just 2 lenses (probably won't use the kit lens) will prevent too much weight, and also allow me to set up faster and take the photo I want on any time I have during the day.  I will try extremely hard and buy a tripod too.  A couple of you have also recommended Circular Polarizer filters, so will have a look at those. Regarding the 15-85mm and 24-105mm, what are the benefits of each one, as different people like the 24-105mm, and some prefer the 15-85mm.

I would pick 15-85 instead of 24-105. 24mm will be too narrow for city scape and landscape.  15mm will give you a much wider view. However, the 24-105 is faster at the long end.  If you have room in your bag,  bring the 18-55 kit lens for bad weather and/or dusty envioment. It is better off the put a $100 lens in harms way than put a $800 Plus lens in harms way. Another OP suggest a small point and shoot. It is an excellent idea. In extremely bad weather, you can risk a cheap point and  shoot but not a $1800 plus set up.

AcinonyxJG

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2011, 05:56:08 PM »
Thanks Rocky, I have also been reading about these two lenses, so will probably get the 15-85mm (I would probably have to hire both the 10-22mm and the 15-85mm, come to think of it, would it still be better for me to buy the filters? if I hire them, there is no guaruntee that I will buy them in time afterwards, also, there won't be any lens hoods)

James
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 06:01:09 PM by AcinonyxJG »

gmrza

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2011, 06:10:52 PM »
I would take:

17-40L for wide angle
24-105L for most walkabout/street/candid photos
70-200L or 70-300L (for that extra reach)

These are not that heavy, so suitable for traveling

I have to admit that my experience from a recent trip to Tasmania was that 17mm is just not wide enough on a crop frame for landscapes.  Thus, I would agree with the recommendations of a 10-22mm.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2011, 06:10:52 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2011, 06:19:07 PM »
I would take:

17-40L for wide angle

I have to admit that my experience from a recent trip to Tasmania was that 17mm is just not wide enough on a crop frame for landscapes.  Thus, I would agree with the recommendations of a 10-22mm.

I never worry about being wide enough - just take multiples and stitch if needed.

92101media

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2011, 07:30:28 PM »
I would suggest strongly considering the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 instead of the Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 USM. They are about the same price & image quality. The Canon has a bit more range on both ends, but most people tend to shoot their UWA at the widest end, at least the majority of the time, and so there is not much difference in that regard. However, the Tokina has great build quality (not weather-sealed, though neither is the Canon), and is also a 'faster' lens across its entire range, which may be enough to make a difference in low light situations e.g. sunsets & sunrises for landscapes, indoors without a flash/weak built-in flash etc. The Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 also makes a great video lens, and therefore ideally suited to the Canon 60D you plan to get.

Both the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 and Canon 15-85 f/3.5-5.6 have good reputations. Canon 17-55 is better suited for indoors/low light, Canon 15-85 is better suited for outdoors in better light conditions (more range, where light capturing abilities not as critical). Also worth noting, the 15-85 is about 2/3rds the cost of the 17-55. I would suggest trying to buy a better quality general purpose lens than the kit lens, rather than renting that one, if possible, since that is the lens most likely to be on your camera, both during the trip & after, so that is the lens the most photos are likely to be taken with.

One other option to consider is a superzoom like the Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD AF. Any lens that has more than about a 5x zoom factor tends to give up some image quality, but there is no denying the convenience of a superzoom i.e. less lens changing / quick & easy adjustment to a wide range of focal lengths. And being able to capture a photo in lesser quality is better than not being able to capture a photo at all, in those situations where you don't have the right lens (either on you, or on the camera) at the time. The image quality almost definitely won't be as good as one of the Canon general purpose lenses listed above, but will likely be better than the 18-55 kit lens, while also gaining you the ability to capture some photos at the long end that would otherwise not have been possible.

Lastly, I suggest at least purchasing the Canon 50mm f/1.8, given how cheap it is. Yes, it's kind of a bit narrow for many purposes on a crop sensor, but it will give you some low light capability, and could be a 'foot zoom' backup for your general purpose lens, in the unlikely event that lens has a problem.

So another take on the suggested lenses could be:
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8
Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3
Canon 50mm f/1.8

That would get you capabilities to shoot everything from 11-270 (with the Tokina & Tamron), as well as some low light capability with the Canon 50mm f/1.8. You could even probably shoot nearly everything with just the Tamron 18-270mm, if you were willing to compromise some on image quality and/or miss a few photos in certain scenarios. If you need wider than 18mm on a crop, you could take multiple pictures & stitch, as previously suggested.

Also, worth considering is that sometimes the most interesting part of a vista is actually more in the general purpose or even telephoto range. Consider the case of a sunset: if you take that photo with a UWA lens, the setting sun is going to be a tiny element in the picture, whereas if you use a telephoto lens, you can make the setting sun a major element of the picture.

Ultimately, it depends on what balance of convenience vs. cost vs. image quality one is willing to tolerate.

Also, not relevant to the original question but relevant in the grand scheme of things, I think the Canon 60D is a great choice for performance vs. value. Much cheaper than a 7D, but has the same sensor, the majority of the better controls, and a swiveling screen which can be handy for video or unusual photo situations. However, the 60D is also not much more expensive than a T2i or T3i, but has significant advantages i.e. better hand holding size (not too cramped), better controls for better access to features, extra info LCD on top (in addition to main LCD), better battery life, better quality (listen to the shutter sound of a 60D vs. a T2i - the 60D shutter makes a solid clunk, the T2i shutter makes a a high-pitched wheezing sound, better weather sealing etc.)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 07:36:07 PM by 92101media »

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2011, 09:41:39 PM »
AS for stiching, please hold the camera in portrait mode and take mutiple shorts to get the wide scenery that you want. I know, you are taking narrower shorts in the horizontal direction. However, that will give you more in the vertical direction. If there is a slight alignment error, you will not end up with a very skinny panaromic picture. personally, I tend to stay away from "super zoom", too much compromise.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 11:01:44 PM by Rocky »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2011, 11:33:13 PM »

if you are going to get the 10-22 then you should get the 24-105 over the 15-85
2 reasons
less double up on focal length the 24-105 has more reach and is faster and weather sealed to a certain extent
also it will work on a FF camera if you upgrade later on
if you are only going to take 2 lenses then the 10-22 and the 24-105L are definately going to help you out
you can also look at a kenko 1.4 TC which works on all lenses it will bump the reach up on the 24-105 and make it f5.6 it is small light and works well and costs under $200

all depends on your budget
APS-H Fanboy

pj1974

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
Re: All Around lenses
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2011, 12:38:38 AM »
Many good perspectives have been given already.

I'll just quickly add my 2 cents worth

My favourite 'all round lens' for my 7D body is my Canon 15-85mm USM IS.

What '2nd lens' I take depends on the circumstances. Eg:
1. if for architecture, big sweeping landscapes, would usually be my Sigma 10-20mm EX
2. if for wildlife, my Canon 70-300mm L
3. if for macro (or casual portrait) my Canon 100mm macro USM

Sometimes I even take my Sigma 10-20mm and my Canon 70-300mm L as the 'two lenses'.  I usually don't like walking with more than 2 lenses on me.  1 lens is even better.

When I visited Perth (Western Australia) a few weekends ago, I just took my Canon 15-85mm, and really didn't miss anything I wanted with that.   8)

Regards

Paul
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2011, 12:54:50 AM »
Tamron 18-270mm, if you were willing to compromise some on image quality and/or miss a few photos

NO FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!
please do not buy the Tamron 18-270 you may as well take that wad of cash shove it up you butt and set it on fire because it will hurt less than the pain the 18-270 will cause your eyes and you will get more for your money!

but seriously I had this lens and promptly sent it back stay well well away from tamron.

also bear in mind the 60D does not have AF micro adjust so you cannot make non canon lenses optimal
I definately recomend staying with canon brand lenses for this reason alone.

I love the 85mm sigma i just bought however i had to add +13 out of possible 20 to the micro adjust on my 5D2 for it to be bang on target if i put this same lens on a 60D or 600D I know i would absolutely hate it because nothing would be in focus wide open
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2011, 12:54:50 AM »

Isaac

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2011, 01:21:51 AM »
I would take:

17-40L for wide angle

That would be my list too, the 70-200 I would get the f2.8 for low lighting.

AcinonyxJG

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2011, 03:32:53 AM »
Some more great information, I'll have a look through what has been said about the lenses recommended to me, once again, I'm greatly thankful for all of the inforemation you have given me, I would have never been able to find this much about the lenses.

So, I'll need this kind of line up?

Ultra Wide Angle - Canon 10-22mm or Tokina 11-16mm, will also look at the Sigma 10-20mm
General 'walkabout' lens - Canon 15-85mm or 24-105mmm maybe 50mm f/1.4 aswell as one of these?
Telephoto - Canon 70-200mm f/4 IS or 70-300mm

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2011, 03:32:53 AM »