November 28, 2014, 08:56:54 PM

Author Topic: Focal plane and focus  (Read 1707 times)

thepancakeman

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
Focal plane and focus
« on: December 19, 2011, 04:29:35 PM »
This has come up in a few different threads, and I thought it probably deserved its own.

Am I correct in understanding that the focus is actually to a plane and not a sphere/distance? 

So if I'm taking a picture of a big group of people but they're all lined up along a wall perpindicular to me, they'll all be in focus even wide open?  And conversely, if there are a buch of items equidistant from the lens, most will be out of focus except for the one(s) that defined the plane of focus?   ???

canon rumors FORUM

Focal plane and focus
« on: December 19, 2011, 04:29:35 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Focal plane and focus
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 04:33:25 PM »
This has come up in a few different threads, and I thought it probably deserved its own.

Am I correct in understanding that the focus is actually to a plane and not a sphere/distance? 

So if I'm taking a picture of a big group of people but they're all lined up along a wall perpindicular to me, they'll all be in focus even wide open?  And conversely, if there are a buch of items equidistant from the lens, most will be out of focus except for the one(s) that defined the plane of focus?   ???

That is how lenses are designed.  How well they actually achieve that design goal varies by lens - when they fail to have a planar focus, it's called field curvature (an issue that the 24-70mm f/2.8L reportedly suffers from, for example).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 06:30:53 PM »

Good answer.  Thats why focus and recompose doesn't work for a shallow depth of field, the distance to the plane is longer at the edges than at the center, so focus will be off and hopefully hidden in the depth of field.

That is how lenses are designed.  How well they actually achieve that design goal varies by lens - when they fail to have a planar focus, it's called field curvature (an issue that the 24-70mm f/2.8L reportedly suffers from, for example).

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 06:53:24 PM »
Thats why focus and recompose doesn't work for a shallow depth of field, the distance to the plane is longer at the edges than at the center, so focus will be off and hopefully hidden in the depth of field.

Excatly.  If I just set my 85L to f/8, it wouldn't be a problem to use the center AF point of the 5DII and recompose...but that's not why I bought an f/1.2 lens.  Unfortunately, the outer AF points of the 5DII are so tightly clustered in the vertical dimension that there's not going to be a point where I want it, even if they were any good.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 09:42:08 PM »
NA&BS
Chill, or the thread gets locked, and you both get a temp ban to cool off.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 09:42:08 PM »