Gear Talk > Lighting

Setting up a speed light studio for remote locations

(1/2) > >>

fullycaffinated:
I do a lot of remote travel to Canada's far north and have recently started carrying a speed light portrait studio. I am finding 2x 430exii and 2 shoot through umbrellas on ultra light stands to be insufficient for high quality images. I am using one for the backdrop and on to light the subject. I carry a white muslin and backdrop stand. I am likely to add at least 1 more 430exii for lighting the backdrop and one for the subject.

I am currently using the 7d radio trigger capability to trigger the 430's. So far it works very well for this application, I would just like to add more light to the backdrop. Carrying my studio strobes is not an option. All the travel is via small bush plane.

What I am wondering is if I add a 600ex-rt as an on camera flash/trigger, will 3x 430exii trigger with the 600ex-rt?

Thanks
Mark

privatebydesign:
Your 7D is triggering via optical  wireless, not radio, the 600-EX-RT will give you optical control of your 430's. But so would the 7D, and a 580EX or 580EXII or even a 550EX.

What I am saying is using a 600 as on on camera trigger is not the most efficient use of a $500 flash.

fullycaffinated:
So what would allow me to trigger 3x430exii besides a pocket wizard (also about $500)? I would like an on Camera flash.
This is why I am thinking 500ex-rt...

Would love some thoughts!
Thanks
Mark

privatebydesign:
The 90EX, 550EX, 580EX, 580EXII, the ST-E2 all from Canon, and an ever growing band of third party flashes will all trigger the 3 off camera 430EX's.

Personally, unless you need ETTL, which you souldn't I'd recommend a set of Yongnuo RF603's for dumb wireless to they also do an ETTL set if you do need that functionality. Way less than $500 and more reliable than optical triggering.

fullycaffinated:
Ok, cool.

Thanks for this.

Mark

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version