Gear Talk > Lighting

Color temperature and light source

(1/3) > >>

niels123:
Obviously, a change in (the type of) light source needs adjusting the color temperature.

Just a theoretical question: imagine a subject being lit by a single light source only in a completely dark room. If you calibrate your camera to this light source and you change the subject, does the color temperature then needs to be readjusted? In other words: does the 'correct' color temperature only depends on the light source or also on the (color of the) subject?

Marsu42:

--- Quote from: niels123 on February 21, 2015, 04:31:18 PM ---Just a theoretical question: imagine a subject being lit by a single light source only in a completely dark room.
--- End quote ---

You're describing the sun and the earth?

--- Quote from: niels123 on February 21, 2015, 04:31:18 PM ---In other words: does the 'correct' color temperature only depends on the light source or also on the (color of the) subject?
--- End quote ---

My layman's understanding: "yup". That doesn't mean that the color temperature seems subjectively correct or you get accurate color reproduction though (use a Color Checker Passport and dng profile for that).

rs:
In very simple terms, yes, WB is set for the colour temperature of the light source, and it shouldn't matter what subject is lit, the WB should remain the same.

However, take into account reflected light, eg a flash of a known colour temperature bouncing off a coloured ceiling, and you're into a whole different ball game. And then of course, using the sun as a source, it's placement causes differences - blue light gets dispersed through the atmosphere, so the more atmosphere it goes through (think sunrise/sunset) to light up your subject, the less blue the light source is. And then there are other light sources with a known colour temp but a low colour gamut such as sodium lighting or some cheap LED's - there's very little you can do to correct that.

niels123:
I am asking because I am trying to get 'more advanced' with my microphotography setup. I used to use two speedlites for lighting, but there is some disadvantages there. I want to switch to a lighting continuous setup. It would be nice if I only have to calibrate for the light source once and then use this color temp for all my photos.

1) first did some experiments with the Ikea Jansjo LED lights (http://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/catalog/products/80163192/). However, I have the feeling that the colors are not nearly as good as with my flashes and just moving the color temp slider in lightroom doesn't help.
2) The other option is energy saving daylight bulbs, but for a decent amount of lighting I quickly need several hundreds of watt's in energy and this may heat up my subjects too much. Is there decent, high-quality daylight LED's available. Please let me know if you hve any experience! What woudl you recommend?

Marsu42:

--- Quote from: niels123 on February 22, 2015, 05:33:25 AM ---It would be nice if I only have to calibrate for the light source once and then use this color temp for all my photos.
--- End quote ---

Color. Checker. Passport. DNG. Profile.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version