October 22, 2014, 04:23:52 AM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* First Contest Finalists Up  (Read 18720 times)

Lajos Hajdu

Re: *UPDATE* First Contest Finalists Up
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2011, 01:51:54 AM »
wow canonrumors guy must be blind or just really was overwhelmed with this contest cause let me say the concert stuff i put up is way better then the ones he picked  this contest is a joke man really its not about whats good its about what he thinks is good i am not just speaking for me i am talking about all the better photos that were there by other photographers

WOW i am blown away on the picks some have no biz being in this
looks to me as this was rushed and mot well looked over

sorry man i have to call you out cause i think ya didnt really look at whats good and not photoshopped 

Relax, man. As you can see, I've already won a photo competition (albeit admittedly a minor one) with my dewy damselfly photo: http://www.dailydigitalphoto.com/cgi-bin/potd/potd_gallery.pl?to_month=8&to_year=2011
In this competition, it's not amongst the 10 best. I think it should be. And no doubt almost everybody else thinks that their submissions deserve a top place. But I realize that it's all so subjective.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2011, 01:51:54 AM »

MeHoo

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2011, 02:00:18 AM »
I, for one, am totally shocked to have one of my images selected as a finalist.  This is the first time I've been a finalist in anything.  This is also my first photo contest I've entered.  I shoot photos because I love to show people what I see through my mind and eyes when I click that shutter release.  It isn't about the best photoshopping, or the least amount of photoshopping.  It's about showing the viewer what you saw in your eyes and mind when you were there, taking it all in, IMHO.  Art; in a word.

I think everyone should start their own website and contest, and when that is the case, they should critique CR's judging.

I am pretty sure that I won't win my category, and in the humblest part of my mind; I think that's great.  Gives me room to grow and learn.  I look at my own image, with biased eyes, seeing all the flaws, and realize so much that I already would have changed based on all that I have learned since I took it.  I personally like many more of my macro underwater shots more than that lil jellyfish, but he did seem to catch the light really well in that pose.  Whether the light was orange or not, I would have color corrected it to be, because in my mind's eye, I saw a jellyfish on fire, underwater.  I hope you all did, too.  :)

I would like to take this chance to say thank you very much for the confidence boost, CR.  I appreciate that you enjoyed my image.  I would also like to tell all the other entries, not just the finalists, that you guys all rock.  I saw some seriously amazing photos submitted and had never in my wildest dreams thought that I'd even be a finalist.  Really love contests like this because they always bring together the most passionate photographers... and occasionally the trolls who think they're the only artists on the planet.

Thanks again all.  Best of luck to everyone!

MazV-L

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2011, 03:43:41 AM »
The readers of Canon Rumors will be selecting the best image in each category and then I have a panel of people that will select the winner and runners-up.
CR, many thanks once more for all the time and effort into this contest.  If I may be allowed a plea: please, please, please don't do the 'readers will be voting thing'.  It becomes a popularity contest into which the person able to muster the more friends and family to come in and vote wins... It takes away all of the 'quality' out of the picture!  I much prefer a single objective person, whichever their tastes, to pick the winners rather than have the most popular guy win by a majority that will pick the wrong picture.

That is only my opinion of course, but I have had such experiences on many other type of contests before.  Thanks again,

Rafa.

I fully agree! the voting system usually doesn't work well, just look at results of those kind of contests on Facebook, it's the one with the most friends who is also harassing their friends to votefor them that wins even if the winning photo is not much more than a mediocre snapshot!!!

I should perhaps clarify,  I think the finalists in this contest have done an ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT JOB and congrats to them!! I just hope in future contests members are not asked to vote because I think this system is open to alot of bias.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 06:19:12 AM by MazV-L »

Chrisbrn

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2011, 04:42:22 AM »
I, for one, am totally shocked to have one of my images selected as a finalist.  This is the first time I've been a finalist in anything.  This is also my first photo contest I've entered.  I shoot photos because I love to show people what I see through my mind and eyes when I click that shutter release.  It isn't about the best photoshopping, or the least amount of photoshopping.  It's about showing the viewer what you saw in your eyes and mind when you were there, taking it all in, IMHO.  Art; in a word.

I think everyone should start their own website and contest, and when that is the case, they should critique CR's judging.

I am pretty sure that I won't win my category, and in the humblest part of my mind; I think that's great.  Gives me room to grow and learn.  I look at my own image, with biased eyes, seeing all the flaws, and realize so much that I already would have changed based on all that I have learned since I took it.  I personally like many more of my macro underwater shots more than that lil jellyfish, but he did seem to catch the light really well in that pose.  Whether the light was orange or not, I would have color corrected it to be, because in my mind's eye, I saw a jellyfish on fire, underwater.  I hope you all did, too.  :)

I would like to take this chance to say thank you very much for the confidence boost, CR.  I appreciate that you enjoyed my image.  I would also like to tell all the other entries, not just the finalists, that you guys all rock.  I saw some seriously amazing photos submitted and had never in my wildest dreams thought that I'd even be a finalist.  Really love contests like this because they always bring together the most passionate photographers... and occasionally the trolls who think they're the only artists on the planet.

Thanks again all.  Best of luck to everyone!

My thoughts exactly!

syedabbas

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2011, 01:51:49 PM »
What about the rest of the categories, when are they coming up?

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2011, 12:43:04 AM »
wow canonrumors guy must be blind or just really was overwhelmed with this contest cause let me say the concert stuff i put up is way better then the ones he picked  this contest is a joke man really its not about whats good its about what he thinks is good i am not just speaking for me i am talking about all the better photos that were there by other photographers

WOW i am blown away on the picks some have no biz being in this
looks to me as this was rushed and mot well looked over

sorry man i have to call you out cause i think ya didnt really look at whats good and not photoshopped 

Just sayn

I looked at all the photos you posted, and I wouldn't have chosen them either.  Not top ten overall, not top ten of their category, not even top ten on the page they were posted on.  I'm not trying to be overly harsh, just give my honest opinion.

There are a lot of excellent photographers here (sadly, I'm NOT one of them), and some tough competition.  I wish you better luck next time.

sammy

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2011, 06:05:36 AM »
Wow what an inspiring set of shots, some really amazing stuff, good luck to all the finalists :).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2011, 06:05:36 AM »

sushyam

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2011, 07:44:15 AM »
The selections are simply wonderful. I enjoyed them.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2011, 07:44:15 AM »