May 23, 2017, 06:55:18 PM

Author Topic: 7D Mark II Firmware update??  (Read 83927 times)

monkey44

• Canon 6D
Re: 7D Mark II Firmware update??
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2015, 07:36:29 AM »
if i sent mine in too be checked how long would it take too hear from canon i live in nyc/nj area

I sent my 7D in once -- was less than ten days from my door to return to my door.  I sent it to the NC store as it's the closest - I live in Florida.   I heard two days after Canon received it ... and it took one day to fix. More than half the time was on-the-road in a UPS truck.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2015, 07:36:29 AM »

BigAntTVProductions

• Canon 70D
  • Hey Fellow Canon Shooters
    • Big Ant TV Media LLC
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2015, 06:58:20 PM »
huh i didnt understand what u wrote lol

if i sent mine in too be checked how long would it take too hear from canon i live in nyc/nj area

I sent my 7D in once -- was less than ten days from my door to return to my door.  I sent it to the NC store as it's the closest - I live in Florida.   I heard two days after Canon received it ... and it took one day to fix. More than half the time was on-the-road in a UPS truck.
3rd Star From The Right & Str8 On Till Morning
PROUD OWNER OF
5D4,5D3 and 7D Mark 2

Rook

• SX60 HS
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2015, 06:40:39 PM »

It took about 10 days door to door to get mine repaired. Very glad I sent it in. So far no issues with the AF. Much sharper images as a whole.

Danzq

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2015, 05:58:39 AM »
I've sent mine in and it took Canon 2 weeks to even try to fix it. They had to order 7d2 specific calibration tools 'cause they had not delt with one before.

Got a call today (2 and a half weeks from sending it) that there's something really wrong with my camera and after 4 hours of calibration they just couldnt make any sense of it. AF was all over the place and all the parts seemed fine. They ordered some parts (new mirror box and main sensor) and have a go at it again next week.

Im just happy they see the problem I had and are determined to fix it.

-Dan
7d mark II + Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 + Canon 50mm f/1.4 + Canon 85mm f/1.8

DWM

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2015, 04:30:57 PM »
I also sent mine in and received it back in 9 days. Service details state "the adjustment of the AF assembly was incorrect causing the
auto focus to operate improperly. Electrical adjustments were carried out on the AF assembly". My first thought was they didn't do much
but after a weekend of shooting at an eagle nest I find it is way better. Went from less than 10% keeper rate before to above 90% now.
AI servo will stay locked on and doesn't hunt for focus like before. I suggest anybody with similar problems send it in and not wait for a
new firmware. My guess is it is a calibration that must be done by Canon and not a firmware fix.

Danzq

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2015, 07:08:05 AM »
Quick update:

5 weeks have passed and my 7d2 is still being fixed at Canon. Called them today to ask what's up and got a fairly intresting update: They have changed the mirror box and AF sensor and are still not happy how it performs. They have also narrowed that it is not anything physical that's causing the AF issues. So right now they are waiting for a data sheet (?free translate?) from Canon factory. I asked if it was a new firmware and they said that it in fact is a new firmware and it should come in early next week.

Im a bit sceptic if it was just another way to buy some more time. We'll see once I get my precious back.

-Dan
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 02:22:57 PM by Danzq »
7d mark II + Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 + Canon 50mm f/1.4 + Canon 85mm f/1.8

BigAntTVProductions

• Canon 70D
  • Hey Fellow Canon Shooters
    • Big Ant TV Media LLC
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2015, 08:06:25 AM »
Quick update:

5 weeks have passed and my 7d2 is still being fixed at Canon. Called them today to ask what's up and got a fairly intresting update: They have changed the mirror box and AF sensor and are still not happy how it performs. They have also narrowed that it is not anything physical that's causing the AF issues. So right now they are waiting for a data sheet (?free translate from finnish?) from Canon factory. I asked if it was a new firmware and they said that it in fact is a new firmware and it should come in early next week.

Im a bit sceptic if it was just another way to buy some more time. We'll see once I get my precious back.

-Dan

COOL IF IT FIXES AF PROBLEMS AND INCREASES OUR KEEPER RATES AND FIXES NOISE PROBLEMS EVEN BETTER ALSO COULD U EMAIL THEM AND HAVE THEM ADD THE 24-105MM STM LENS PROFILE TOO THE CAMERA
3rd Star From The Right & Str8 On Till Morning
PROUD OWNER OF
5D4,5D3 and 7D Mark 2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2015, 08:06:25 AM »

Lee Jay

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2015, 10:05:28 AM »
Well, I'm having a very strange AF problem with my 7DII + 18-135 STM.  Check this out:

I did AFMA, and it was already pretty close (+3, -2).
With center point, it nails focus in both portrait and landscape.
With side points (left and right), in front focuses in landscape.
In normal portrait (right hand on top), it dramatically front focuses with an edge (top) point.
In reverse portrait (right hand on bottom) it dramatically back focuses with an edge (top) point.

Canon thinks is a decentering problem with the lens.  They may be right since it nails focus with my 70-200II in all orientations with all points.  But I don't understand how a decentering problem would manifest differently based on orientation and why it's sharp across the frame with the center point.

Is that strange or what?

takesome1

• 5DSR
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2015, 10:07:37 AM »

Is that strange or what?

It will be strange that after Canon identified it as a lens problem you still think it is a body problem.
Send the lens to Canon.

AshtonNekolah

• EOS M3
  • Time doesn't wait, Shoot Like It's Your Last.
    • Ashton Nekolahâ„¢
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2015, 10:08:44 AM »
I keep reading about lack of "sharp" in the 7D2, and I'm not experiencing that at all, not even a little.  Shooting it with the 100-400 v1 earlier, now the 100-400 v2, and 70-200 f4 IS ... nothing but sharp images. 

Of course, individual shots lack 'sharp', but when the set-up and timing and "me" are right, it blows images out of the water.  I'm not so sure it's all about the camera design and technology as much as it may be about individual camera and assembly or manufacturing differences which occasionally happen in mass production -- and the complex nature of that camera itself and getting use to how it operates.

I have no doubt some of your got a camera that is 'out of spec', it happens.  But I'm not ready to believe yet it's a design flaw.  I can't imagine that I can be so lucky as to get the one of the few 7D2's that shoots sharp, and get the only lenses that fit well with it.  Makes little sense to believe that.

I have no problems either, when people see the images right off the bad they say its sharper than my FF, I dont really care about all the sharpness talk thou but it's interesting to hear about this dealio.
A.N

Canon EOS 5D MK II|2 Canon EOS 7D II |EF 17-40mm F/4L USM|EF 50mm F/1.2L USM|EF 100mm F/2.8L Macro IS USM|EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II USM

dolina

• 1D X Mark II
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2015, 10:10:21 AM »
Sent in my 7D Mark II for service connected to the AF early two weekends ago. This may mark my third weekend without it.
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

Lee Jay

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2015, 10:12:38 AM »

Is that strange or what?

It will be strange that after Canon identified it as a lens problem you still think it is a body problem.
Send the lens to Canon.

I want to do some more testing first (IS on/off, and a third lens - the 24-105).  They only told me this yesterday and today I'm sick, so I'm not losing any time yet.

Man, when this camera nails focus on a good lens (which is basically always except for the condition I described above), it's sharp and very low in noise.  I'm incredibly pleased with this thing except for this one problem and some stupid software decisions I hope they'll eventually fix.

ronaldbyram

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Photographing the Adventure
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2015, 10:21:29 AM »
Does anyone have any proper procedures to do a AFMA ?  is it complicated?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2015, 10:21:29 AM »

Lee Jay

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2015, 10:27:39 AM »
Does anyone have any proper procedures to do a AFMA ?  is it complicated?

There are many ways.  A simple one is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zE50jCUPhM

takesome1

• 5DSR
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2015, 10:33:23 AM »

Is that strange or what?

Send the lens to Canon.

I want to do some more testing first (IS on/off, and a third lens - the 24-105).  They only told me this yesterday and today I'm sick, so I'm not losing any time yet.

Man, when this camera nails focus on a good lens (which is basically always except for the condition I described above), it's sharp and very low in noise.  I'm incredibly pleased with this thing except for this one problem and some stupid software decisions I hope they'll eventually fix.

Is the lens under warrant?

I sent my 7D II in for service, returned it in 7 days.
No problems at all now.

For peace of mind if the lens is under warranty ship them both off.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2015, 10:33:23 AM »