August 22, 2014, 12:30:14 PM

Author Topic: How often do you shoot video with your DSLR?  (Read 8588 times)

Lenscracker

Re: How often do you shoot video with your DSLR?
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2011, 12:21:13 PM »
NEVER.  If I had wanted video,  I would have bought a video camera instead of 5D2 and 7D.   

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2011, 12:21:13 PM »

Ryusui

« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2011, 06:51:33 PM »
I wonder if I'm the only one who is confused as to why, if some users don't find purpose in a feature, it means that the feature is;
  • absolutely worthless
  • needs to be removed
It's already been said here in this thread that there are people who bought their DSLR specifically for its video purposes, and others who do use the video quite a bit.  But just because some people never use it or think it's unnecessary, then it automatically makes that feature - and everyone who wants and/or uses it - irrelevant.

Additionally, if they were to split their DSLRs into video and non-video lines, I'd be willing to bet that Canon would amortize the additional cost of said split by increasing the price of both lines, reducing the cost difference of the non-video line.

I just wonder why so many seem like they're personally insulted by having video added to their DSLRs, when it doesn't do anything to impair their use of it.

rocketdesigner

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2011, 07:46:54 PM »
my DSLR only shoots stills for use as custom white balance, and for lens tests; everything else is video, so I guess my answer is "100%"

edit: I'm sorry, no disrespect, and please don't take this badly, but I hate it when -usually uninformed- people say "if you want to shoot video just use a video camera" - most often they don't have a clue - did I tell them to use a point-and-shoot instead of their DSLR? because it's basically the same: tiny sensor, s___ty pictures

+2

Minnesota Nice

« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2011, 08:54:41 PM »
I shoot more video than pictures.

I bought my 60D specifically for the video quality.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2011, 09:51:13 PM »
I don't. I have used it one or two times back in 2009 when I bought it and I realized one month ago that I had even forgotten that I can take videos! I just don't care for now.

Kane

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2011, 09:56:02 PM »
I bought my 7d when it came out mainly for use as a still camera but liked the option of having video. As I work in television I have used my 7d and a 5d mark ii on a few projects and the results are great for what it is. The 5d mark ii and 7d are not great cameras for high end use but when rigged out properly, much easier to shoot with and create a complementry cinematic look (especially with fast lenses like the 50 1.2), when paired with a prosumer camera like the ex3. I would be greatly disappointed if canon stopped using video as a feature in its dslrs because even if you're not using it for projects, when a once in a lifetime moment occurs and a still wont be able to capture it all you have to do is flip a switch and press record. If your serious about shooting then get a c300 and a set of the cine lenses.
5d mark iii, 7d, 17-40, 24-70, 70-200 2.8 is, 50 1.2, 100 2.8 macro L

Jedifarce

« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2011, 10:42:27 PM »
Sorry, that 'Portrait professional' ad is really throwing me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2011, 10:42:27 PM »

squarebox

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2011, 11:00:22 PM »
I know I'm just nitpicking, but I don't shoot video as much as I want to because dealing with the MOV files afterwards is a complete hassle and a half.  Really wish they were in a more universal container like AVI.

That being said, the reason i bought my Kiss X4 over the 50D was specifically because the kiss had video.  I shoot to capture memories, and something I've realized, and it may just be my lack of skill, but you can't capture a persons complete personality in a picture.  More specific body gestures and speaking (which is even more interesting in my case cause all my friends are speaking in non-native Japanese so  they say screwed up stuff often).
5Dmk3 - 16-35L - 24-105L - 70-200L F2.8 mk2 - 35L - 50mm 1.4 - 100L - 600xt-rt

daveswan

« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2011, 06:35:17 AM »
Well MOV is (I think) more universal than AVI now.

You could try MPEGstreamclip or even 5DtoRGB from realvision, transcoding either to Prores or DNxHD (I use the latter, being Avid / PC). The basic DNxHD codecs are available free from Avid.

Filming with a DSLR takes more deliberation than with a handy-cam (Which, I think, would be better for holiday / everyday video).

The "C" crop sensors are comparable to 35mm cine film, while the 5DII sensor is like Vista-Vision, and need the same care in focus. Using a DSLR hand-held is a recipe for Un-watchable footage.

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2011, 12:20:46 PM »
During Xmas I made a lot of home made familily movie using my 24mm lens on my 5D mkII and I was pretty impressed with the result.  Given the near infinit DoF of the 24mm at certain aperture and short distance, I did not have to worry about focusing.  I also used a tripod with a fluid head (Gitzo).

Now I am hooked!  I will use this for family movies from now one.  IQ is very impressive...
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

daveswan

« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2011, 12:39:22 PM »
At the moment I use my 550D (With 7" monitor) on a fluid-head tripod, Sachtler FSB-6 on Miller solo legs. I am now looking at a mid-range Glidecam for hand-held shots.

BigM

« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2011, 02:51:17 PM »
I know I'm just nitpicking, but I don't shoot video as much as I want to because dealing with the MOV files afterwards is a complete hassle and a half.  Really wish they were in a more universal container like AVI.
Actually you can just rename the .mov extension as .avi and they will work as H.264 is the actual codec.  Alternatively you can use VLC Media Player for playback and convert for editing later.

1982chris911

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • View my Flickr Stream here
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2011, 04:06:30 PM »
I have a 7D and 5D MkII and I never used it for video - I just don't need it and I am not sure why Canon is even insisting on making all new models now more Video capable. I think the C300 is a really nice project as a clear separation to the Normal Pro DSLRs and that video on Prosumer Models (60D downwards) has also its place as a gimmick.

However Please I want Pro DSLRs (1D X, 5D MK III etc.) that are really optimized Pro Still Cameras and don't have any build in compromises for the additional video features. If I want a device that is not really good at anything but still usable for all what can do, I can use my Iphone 4s ... Which even is a small usable portable computer and Navigation System ... However I also would not use it to write a book, process my pictures or navigate me on a 100miles hike in the alps ...       
5D MKII, 5D MK III, 7D, Sigma 12-24 HSM2, Canon 17-40 F/4.0 L, Canon 24-70 F/2.8 L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8 IS II L , Ext x2 III + some other stuff

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2011, 04:06:30 PM »

daveswan

« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2011, 05:09:03 AM »
Oh dear another one!

Improvements in sensor / processor that help video will also improve stills as well.

With digital technology there is little, if any, extra cost in implementing video, and if it is implemented, it might as well be done as well as possible.

I'm really hoping that Canon's next generation of Pro / Semi-Pro line (1D>7D) will have clean 1080p cine without moire and aliasing, and resolving close to the Nyquist limit

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2011, 08:09:40 AM »
I do not object to putting video capabilities in DSLRs but I object putting it if this means higher cost.
Also my 5DmkII has nice video capabilities but focusing is not exceptional and practically has no weather sealing.
If you come to think about it this is surely a "funny" combination!
Autofocusing goes back to the late 80's so it should have been perfected way before the addition of video capabilities.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2011, 08:09:40 AM »