August 20, 2014, 03:29:27 AM

Author Topic: Thoughts From Canon on a Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera  (Read 22864 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Thoughts From Canon on a Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera
« on: December 21, 2011, 06:17:48 PM »
Interview with Canon A representative from Canon sat down for an interview to discuss the mirrorless camera possibilities for Canon.

A few of the key points are below.

• Does a mirrorless camera really need interchangeable lenses?
  • Can we make a compact or DSLR that can beat the mirrorless cameras? (they believe they have it)
  • Higher sensitivity rather than high resolution (probably refers to quality over megapixels)

CR’s Take I don’t think Canon needs a sub $1000 mirrorless camera with interchangeable lenses. I think they are more than capable of making a “G” series camera that is higher end than the G12, which would satisfy a majority of the people interested in a mirrorless camera.

If Canon went out and made a niche market full frame $3000 “photographers” mirrorless camera, I think they’d have something worth selling there. However, Canon just doesn’t strike me as a company that cares all that much about satisfying niches, they want to sell millions of cameras.

I think we’re going to see a new PowerShot line that is priced up there with Rebels. It’ll give them the segment that doesn’t want a DSLR, but wants image quality. As well as satisfying the desires of 5D Mark II shooters that want a point and shoot with great IQ.

I know LOTS of people disagree with me on this one. :)

Source: [PR]

cr

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 08:03:50 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Thoughts From Canon on a Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera
« on: December 21, 2011, 06:17:48 PM »

smirkypants

Re: Thoughts From Canon on a Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 06:25:52 PM »
I don't. I think mirrorless is kind of gimmicky. I'm sure if Nikon shows that there's a market for it, they can enter it rather quickly. Until then, there's no sense in not waiting and seeing.

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 06:32:57 PM »
I REALLY wish this article was not a PDF. Can't copy and paste into Google Translate. I found the Impress Japan website but it's all Japanese to me :) Anyone able to translate full interview (Canon portion only) or identify a web link to the interview that isn't a PDF?, so we can at least run it through the translator.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

lol

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My dA
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 06:49:14 PM »
I REALLY wish this article was not a PDF. Can't copy and paste into Google Translate. I found the Impress Japan website but it's all Japanese to me :) Anyone able to translate full interview (Canon portion only) or identify a web link to the interview that isn't a PDF?, so we can at least run it through the translator.
You can copy and paste from the pdf, although it is a bit more work... I tried it, and the googlish that came out didn't make a whole lot of sense. Best wait for human translations.
Canon 1D, 300D IR, 450D full spectrum, 600D, 5D2, 7D, EF 35/2, 50/1.8, 85/1.8, 135/2+SF, 70-300L, 100-400L
EF-S 15-85, TS-E 24, MP-E 65, Zeiss 50/2 macro, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8 OS, Samyang 8mm fisheye

RT

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 06:53:15 PM »
Rong Tian Ya's comments are really interesting. Canon is right: a mirrorless camera doesn't need interchangeable lenses. In fact, Fuji demonstrated that a capable mirrorless camera with a fixed lens can be successfully marketed. I rather like that I can swap out lenses on my E-P1, but a highly capable, large sensor with a high quality fixed lens is absolutely a great idea.

I doubt that Canon would go for a single focal length lens like the Fuji - like the admin said, Canon is interested in selling millions, not filling a niche. Something like a 12-16 MP APS-C sensor with a 16-47 (24-70 full frame equivalent) f2.8 lens could be that camera. It could be fairly compact (I'm thinking about as big as the Panasonic G3 with the kit 14-42 lens on it), and had an EVF + tilt-swivel screen, it would be a pretty awesome camera, I think. And here's a way they could make it a "system" camera: sell .6x wide angle and 1.5x telephoto adapters.

If the quality was there, that would be my dream camera, quite frankly.

mjbehnke

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 06:57:23 PM »
I don't. I think mirrorless is kind of gimmicky. I'm sure if Nikon shows that there's a market for it, they can enter it rather quickly. Until then, there's no sense in not waiting and seeing.

I agree. I think the G-series would be an awesome line-up to bump up to high end quality. It's already a mirror-less camera anyway. And I think the Mirror-less SLR will go the way of the 3D TV.. it's a fad and it will fade.

I can't see spending money on new lenses for a camera with a smaller sensor. Of course that's my humble opinion.

MB
Gripped Canon 60D \ EF-S 15-85 F3.5-5.6 IS USM \ EF 70-200 F4L IS USM \ 430ex II Speedlite \ Love for photography.

UncleFester

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 06:58:37 PM »
I don't. I think mirrorless is kind of gimmicky.

I agree. I'm sure that was said about 35mm at some point, but I agree.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 06:58:37 PM »

Edwin Herdman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 07:03:38 PM »
From the first page devoted to Canon, I am pretty sure the first line of the title reads "wanting to release a mirrorless (camera) in 2012."  The second line has something to do about good compacts...I'm also having trouble getting anything to copy out, unfortunately :/

RF Bob

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 07:07:26 PM »
Hum,,,,, I love my G11 but wish the IQ was better.  Would love to have a APS-C, 12 MP, High ISO, f2.0 24-70 equivalent camera which is with out a flash and has a good view finder and high quality articulating  screen 

I also would love to see a Canon VI L rangefinder remade to digital!!  Yes, it must be a bit more modern. It would need just a few little lenses:  24mm f2.8,  35mm f2.0, 50mm f2.0, 90mm f2.0,,,,,, or the like.   Canons answer to Leica @ 1/3 to 1/2 the cost.  I would buy one in a heartbeat.  Too bad Canon would never make such a thing.

I don't see the need for another mirrorless interchaingable lens camera.  I just don't "get" them!

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 07:57:57 PM »

<p>I think we’re going to see a new PowerShot line that is priced up there with Rebels. It’ll give them the segment that doesn’t want a DSLR, but wants image quality. As well as satisfying the desires of 5D Mark II shooters that want a point and shoot with great IQ.</p>

I don't really follow -- you're saying that they don't need mirrorless, but they will make a powershot line with high image quality (and therefore a big sensor). Since this presumably won't be a DSLR, it will not have a mirror, and therefore be "mirrorless".

Are you suggesting that Canon will make a mirrorless fixed zoom lens camera like the Fuji X10 / X100, as opposed to a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera like the Sony NEX, micro 4/3, Nikon 1, or Samsung's NX cameras ?

I agree that they won't do a mirrorless full frame camera -- at the $3k mark, it would be a pro camera, but mirrorless still doesn't have pro camera performance. So far, all the mirrorless cameras are either marketed as upmarket P&Ss, or enthusiast cameras.

I am baffled by the flippant dismissals of mirrorless often posted on this board. While it is not clear that Canon "need" to enter the mirrorless market, it is clear that it makes up a substantial part of the enthusiast market, and more or less is the new high end point and shoot.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 08:09:34 PM by elflord »

takeapic

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 08:10:45 PM »
Is this in addition to the SX240?

<div name=\"googleone_share_1\" style=\"position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;\"><g:plusone size=\"tall\" count=\"1\" href=\"http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/12/thoughts-from-canon-on-a-mirrorless-interchangeable-lens-camera/\"></g:plusone></div><div id=\"fb_share_1\" style=\"float: right; margin: 0 0px 0 10px;\"><a name=\"fb_share\" type=\"box_count\" share_url=\"http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/12/thoughts-from-canon-on-a-mirrorless-interchangeable-lens-camera/\" href=\"http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php\">Share</a></div><div><script src=\"http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/connect.php/js/FB.Share\" type=\"text/javascript\"></script></div><div class=\"tweetmeme_button\" style=\"float: right; margin-left: 10px; margin-bottom: 70px;\"><a class=\"tm_button\" rel=\"&style=normal&b=2\" href=\"http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/12/thoughts-from-canon-on-a-mirrorless-interchangeable-lens-camera/\"></a></div>
<strong>Interview with Canon

</strong>A representative from Canon sat down for an interview to discuss the mirrorless camera possibilities for Canon.</p>
<p>A few of the key points are below.</p>
<ul>
<li>Does a mirrorless camera really need interchangeable lenses?</li>
<li>Can we make a compact or DSLR that can beat the mirrorless cameras? (they believe they have it)</li>
<li>Higher sensitivity rather than high resolution (probably refers to quality over megapixels)</li>
</ul>
<p><strong>CR’s Take

</strong>I don’t think Canon needs a sub $1000 mirrorless camera with interchangeable lenses.  I think they are more than capable of making a “G” series camera that is higher end than the G12, which would satisfy a majority of the people interested in a mirrorless camera.</p>
<p>If Canon went out and made a niche market full frame $3000 “photographers” mirrorless camera, I think they’d have something worth selling there. However, Canon just doesn’t strike me as a company that cares all that much about satisfying niches, they want to sell millions of cameras.</p>
<p>I think we’re going to see a new PowerShot line that is priced up there with Rebels. It’ll give them the segment that doesn’t want a DSLR, but wants image quality. As well as satisfying the desires of 5D Mark II shooters that want a point and shoot with great IQ.</p>
<p>I know LOTS of people disagree with me on this one. :)</p>
<p><strong>Source:</strong> [<a href=\"http://photorumors.com/\">PR</a>]</p>
<p><strong><span style=\"color: #ff0000;\">c</span>r</strong></p>

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 08:27:17 PM »
You can copy and paste from the pdf, although it is a bit more work... I tried it, and the googlish that came out didn't make a whole lot of sense. Best wait for human translations.

Really? I got a message that the file was protected by its security settings and cannot be copied. Apparently I'm not as clever as you. Any hints?

By the Way, on another topic, sorry to be critical of others, but I find it very annoying when people copy and paste the HTML when quoting someone else. Can I request that people please use the preview button before posting?
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

nazdar

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 08:33:58 PM »
Yep Canon, lets make mirrorless camera with chip from Rebel camera in sleek NEX like body with articulated screen and interchangable lenses!! I would love to use it with that handy 50mm/ F1.8 immediately! I Can't stand small sensor cameras like G series. They are ok but in the end when it happend you to take great picture you always wish to have big sensor camera that time! Always. Although 600D is realy small and light but there is plenty room for something more handy :D
Not to forget that videographers will start to buy this camera like hotcakes if it will get touchable LCD and decent AF which can works during videoshooting! ;o)

Only it will need some massive slab under the lensmount, like C300 has, to stand some extra lensweight when mounted on tripod. :)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 08:44:26 PM by nazdar »
400D, old Nikkor-S Ai 50/1.4, Nikkor Ai 35/2,  Nikkor Ai 85/2, Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 ... Ixus 120

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 08:33:58 PM »

photo_enthusiast

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 08:38:42 PM »
</strong>I don’t think Canon needs a sub $1000 mirrorless camera with interchangeable lenses.  I think they are more than capable of making a “G” series camera that is higher end than the G12, which would satisfy a majority of the people interested in a mirrorless camera.</p>
<p>If Canon went out and made a niche market full frame $3000 “photographers” mirrorless camera, I think they’d have something worth selling there. </p>

I don't disagree either.  I think you're 100% right.  Nikon's mirrorless doesn't appeal to me.  Either you do the interchangeable lenses thing for the IQ, with all the headache, or something else.  Why would you go with an alternative that is slightly smaller?  If you do need something smaller, you go further and get something like the G Series.  The G series needs better IQ.

kmyers1us

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 08:53:48 PM »
Canon is sitting pretty already with the G12, G13 coming up, and the s100.
Depending on whether size or buttons are more important, these are 2
excellent substitutes for mirrorless. They already have the IQ & fast lenses in these cameras.

I now carry an s100 in my pocket as a second while I have my 7d dressed for wildlife. With the s100 I do nice scenes and videos. If I needed more functions & control, then the g12 or new g13 would be the right choice.

Just what could Canon gain with yet another "me-too" mirrorless with interchangeable lenses?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 08:53:48 PM »