September 30, 2014, 07:08:48 AM

Author Topic: What do you do with old bodies?  (Read 7023 times)

PeterJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do with old bodies?
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 07:29:59 AM »
I held onto my 450D for a while after getting a 7D as a bit of spare and thought I'd give my partner a try on it to see if she'd become more interested in photography. That didn't really happen so I thought I'd sell it while it still had a decent resale value, it was in good condition but I was surprised how much I got on E-bay, only about $100 less than a new grey market 550D that would have come with a 12-month reseller warranty versus none at all. I put that towards a 5D I just purchased.

My previous cameras were digital P&S. The first Kodak I gave to my dad, it was in 'very used' condition but thought he might like it because he had the same model and might have found a use for the accessories if nothing else. The other was a FinePix that died when the USB connector snapped off. I removed the broken connector to see if I could replace it but something must have shorted and it was entirely dead.

That last one must have been sitting on my desk about a month without batteries and I pulled it apart to scrounge some parts that might be useful (I work with electronics). Out of habit I shorted the flash capacitor before removing it and was amazed I got quite a big spark after that amount of time. It probably wouldn't be fatal but at 200V or more (it was rated for 320V) at the least it would cause a lot of pain and maybe pull your arm out of join in the reflex action. Anyway just a warning, it was only a P&S so I imagine something like a 580EX would have have a cap that would store more energy.

Other than being careful of that I'd recommend pulling everything apart that's broken or too old to be useful to see how it works ;D.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 07:29:59 AM »

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 07:48:44 AM »
I still have my first 35mm film body: EOS 620. Paid a lot for it at the time, and now it isn't worth much, so I just keep it. I have not shot film for a long time, and have been thinking about it again.

My first digital was a Canon G2. I still have it for pretty much the same reasons as above. Having it converted to IR has crossed my mind. I replaced the G2 with an Olympus Stylus that is water, dust and shock proof.

I also have a Nikon EM that belongs to my mom with a 50mm f1.8 lens on it. This camera does not work, I tried a new battery. Not worth fixing (I think) and can't bring myself to toss it. 

As far as the new DSLR, I'm not sure what I would do with it. Depending on the replacement product cycle, residual value and desire to upgrade, that would determine sell or keep. The 7D makes fine pictures as does the 5DII. It would take a lot to upgrade just to upgrade. Both current models do more than I know how to use. I could fill up 32GB flash cards and keep buying new ones for less money than getting film developed- even at maximum size RAW+JPEG.

At current projected prices, I would have to sell the 5DII and add about $4k for the 1Dx, which is the next step from a 5DII unless the 5DIII is something extraordinary. Same numbers to go from a 5DII to a 1DsIII, which in some ways is a downgrade. Out of my budget for a camera. I would rather spend the $4k on lenses.
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

katwil

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 08:47:01 AM »
I still have my old film cameras (F-1, AE-1P, Elan IIe) around, somewhere...  I gave the XT to the neighbor's kid who was, at the time, taking pictures for his high school paper, and converted the 20D to infrared.  The XS is our general purpose house camera.  I'm not willing to part with the 40D.  It still fits a niche for daytime sporting events with the higher fps rate.  My T3i and new 5DII will now share the load on vacations and other events based on circumstances.

mitchell3417

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Mitchell Bennnett Photography
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2011, 10:14:13 AM »
I sold my xti to help pay for my 7D. Since that time I started doing some professional work on the side. Doing my first wedding in April and now I really wish I had a second body. Thinking about renting a 5d2 and lens and giving my 7d to the wife as backup/2nd camera for the wedding.

Wedding photography. *sigh* What did I get myself into?
I enjoy taking pictures!!!
flickr  MB Photo

Cannon Man

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 02:34:11 PM »
Dump them near the graveyard propably.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 02:39:13 PM by Cannon Man »

friedmud

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2011, 04:01:53 PM »
Had my XSi fail on me (shutter stuck) while on a recent photography trip to Oregon (and only 2 days in on a 5 day trip!).  After using my iPhone 4S to shoot with for the rest of the trip I vowed I would never again go without a backup camera!

I sent the XSi in to get it fixed, bought a 7D in the meantime and have now received my XSi back.

I'm currently on a trip and brought both bodies with me.  Haven't taken the XSi out yet... and don't really plan to.  But I know it's there if I need it!

Also, I have done weddings for friends in the past... and one time was able to borrow another XSi so I had two... and _wow_ did that help!  I put a long lens on one and my 17-55 f/2.8 with a flash on the other... it was great to be able to quickly switch back and forth during the ceremony.  The 7D will be even better in that regard...

justsomedude

• 7D
  • Canon 5D3 and 6D
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 06:29:42 PM »
Dump them near the graveyard propably.

+1

Unfortunately, bodies are disposable.  They are simply a tool in an artist's arsenal.  As they get updated by newer bodies with better features, they move towards obselesence and their value decreases. 

The real investment in photography is high quality glass, as great lenses can last you decades.   Your bodies, on the other hand, will come and go with greater frequency.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 06:29:42 PM »

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2011, 09:06:21 AM »
Hide them so the cops don't find out....  :-X :-* :'(
What is truth?

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2011, 10:05:43 AM »
When I got my 40D, I passed the 400D that I was replacing onto my Dad. Then during the period I was first considering replacing the 40D, I was in a situation where I could have done with a second body and missed the shot because of it (I was looking at the 5D MkII by that time, but didn't fit in with my wildlife interests). I decided then, that I needed a second backup body. Eventually when the 7D arrived, I kept the 40D as a backup, until I decided to get the 5D MkII for landscape work. The 40D was originally a Canon refurb, which I was lucky and got for a good price, as a result, I only lost £42 on the resale, less than 10% of the original price. The 1D-X is appealing (although the cost isn't :p), but I'm not sure which body it would replace. The logical one would be the 7D in some ways, but I'd probably miss the extra reach, plus I'd probably lose less on the 5D MkII and it would give me more towards the 1D-X. It would be nice to get the 1D-X, but it wouldn't be for some time after its release, unless I win the lottery.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

kennykodak

• Rebel T5i
  • M.Photog.MEI.Cr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2011, 01:03:36 PM »
a fellow i know has a huge aquarium in his studio. every piece of broken, obsolete or otherwise useless photographic equipment he has become part of a reef.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2011, 07:31:03 PM »
I made a jacket out of the skin, and buried the unusable bits out in the woods.
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

iaind

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2011, 03:58:40 AM »
Donate them to medical science
5DIII + BGE11 / 5DII + BGE6 / 40D + BGE2N /8-15 4L / 17-35 2.8L / 24 3.5L TS-E /24-70 2.8II L / 24-105 4L IS /Zuiko 50 1.4/ 100 2.8L Macro IS / 70-200 2.8L /180 3.5L/ 300 4L / 100-400L

J. McCabe

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2011, 12:32:29 PM »
Give it proper burial in a pet cemetary.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2011, 12:32:29 PM »

m3tek44

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2011, 01:34:23 PM »
Try to sell it on ebay or craigslist.  If not just give it to my kids.
5D Mark III/60D (sold) /  24-70mm f2.8L / 16-35mm f2.8L II / 70-200mm f2.8L IS II/ 85mm f1.8/ 580EX II

Edwin Herdman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2011, 05:12:57 AM »
My T1i isn't all that old, and has probably at least half the shutter life left.  When I determine if it gives "sharper" images than my 7D, I'll know whether to keep it for product type photography or whether to ponder something else for it.  It would be nice to have a backup body, but if Canon releases a new and amazing camera in early 2012 (which seems quite probable) it would be foolish to keep the T1i and not get some money back in reserve for an upgrade to a camera sharper than even the 7D.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2011, 05:12:57 AM »