July 20, 2018, 12:35:43 PM

Author Topic: Canon CPS Requirements  (Read 10645 times)

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Re: Canon CPS Requirements
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 06:33:19 PM »
Oh I agree, at it's root as it is now structured CPS in the USA is just a revenue stream and anybody who wants to pay the money gets to play. Meanwhile the places where CPS make a huge footprint, the Olympics and the like, anybody with a press pass can get any Canon gear they like for the duration.

Previously you had to send in tear sheets with your application to CPS as proof of your image creation background, but as soon as that was dropped then it was obviously considered a cash cow, as opposed to the European CPS which is still free. They both just rely on the points system now though so you can say you are anything and if you have the gear to qualify the points, or if you make up or copy the serial numbers to make up the points, you are in.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 06:33:19 PM »

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 06:45:16 PM »
...the spirit of this for Canon is you pay them for additional customer service. Canon is aware that amateurs join. If they cared they would find a way to exclude them.

Yeah, this has been debated many times before on this site.

There are those who feel strongly that it should be limited to their definition of professionals only.

There are others who don't feel it matters.

But, what really matters is how Canon treats the program and it's pretty clear that their actions speak louder than their words.

If you own the requisite amount of equipment they are happy to take your money and take your word for it that you are a professional.

I imagine there are several things at work here:

1) It's not as easy to define as one might think. Between full-time photographer and ordinary Joe in the street, there is a wide range of territory and I doubt Canon really wants to spend time and resources parsing the definition. Better to simply take people's word for it;

2) There are fewer and fewer people earning a living exclusively from photography and if Canon restricted membership to that small group, the service wouldn't be cost-effective to maintain;

3) Maintaining the facade that this is for professionals only makes membership more desirable. People are willing to write Canon that $100 check each year and think they are getting away with something. If they just opened it up officially to anyone, membership would be perceived as less desirable;

4) All those people joining who may not actually meet the requirements helps to support the program for the true professionals. No doubt, Canon knows exactly what demographics are joining and whether they are generating income or increasing costs. Financially, it's better for the program to cast a wider net.

takesome1

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 07:34:06 PM »
This is the current wording, look under terms and conditions;

Updated as of August 4, 2014
Applicant must be a full-time self-employed individual, or an employee of a professional imaging business, who plays a direct role in the creation of moving or still images for third parties on a professional basis.

Notice the change in wording on full-time self-employed and the structure of the sentence.

Break it down from my perspective, I am full- time self-employed individual who plays a role in the creation of moving or still images for third parties on a professional basis. I am in the contraction industry, images are something we create as support or provide as part of a contract. Without the words "Imaging Business" I qualify.

Maybe the semantics experts can chime in and correct me, but with this wording and the placement of commas I wouldn't have to have a full-time self-employed imaging business. I only have to play a direct role in the creation of moving or still images for third parties on a professional basis. For instance I went on a recent pheasant hunt where as part of the package the owner of the business took and captured pictures for the clients to take home. He would qualify under this description.

But still I think a definition of full-time self-employed is up for interpretation.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 07:59:06 PM »
It's like the senator said about p0rn - you know a professional photographer when you see one.  You can parse the grammar all you want, but I'd say if you're earning an income from photography on which you're paying taxes, you qualify.   As PBD stated, I could make a case for myself under the letter of their policy...but that's sophistry.  FWIW, I'm not a CPS member.
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 09:24:14 PM »
So is it wrong I didn't bother reading the requirements... I have something like $10,000 in gear... and I had a crap ton of points... so I signed up...
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

takesome1

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 09:30:20 PM »
So is it wrong I didn't bother reading the requirements... I have something like $10,000 in gear... and I had a crap ton of points... so I signed up...

You will have to take that up with your Priest / Rabbi / Minister. Hopefully it will not go on your permanent record and count against you some time in the future.

danski0224

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 09:53:24 PM »
They take my money too.

With a CPS service center nearby, it is well worth it. Shipping isn't anywhere near as expensive as insuring the stuff inside the box for someone that is stuck paying retail rates. There is nowhere else I can take this stuff to and have it repaired without shipping it off somewhere, and there really aren't any camera shops where I would entrust the minimum wage help with a sensor cleaning- or more than I am willing to tackle on my own.

If I call and they are really busy, odds are that I can wait and not make a stink.

If I ever get flack as a "non-pro" under the strictest of definitions, they can cancel the membership or not offer a renewal.

I can qualify enough points and I'm willing to pay the yearly fee.

I don't see it as questionable, a moral dilemma or as a problem. If it is, it is an issue several orders of magnitude less than the people that buy stuff, use it, then return it for a refund.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 09:53:24 PM »

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2015, 10:03:54 PM »

You will have to take that up with your Priest / Rabbi / Minister. Hopefully it will not go on your permanent record and count against you some time in the future.

I don't bother with PRMs... or church... I've lost interest... there's a lot less guilt.  Though I wouldn't mind hanging out with a flying spaghetti monster...
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2015, 10:03:54 PM »