October 22, 2014, 09:50:01 PM

Author Topic: My 9.8mp 70D dream  (Read 2476 times)

boateggs

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
My 9.8mp 70D dream
« on: February 01, 2012, 06:13:40 PM »
I was explaining some camera stuff to a friend who can compose a picture but doesn't know how to use a camera very well and I had a thought.  Canon's APS-C offerings seem to be very crowded and similar with the differences between them being very small.

My predictions:
The next xxxxD should be a T1i on a diet
The 650D should have some slight improvements but remain mostly the same as the 600D
7D2 will remain 18mp APS-C with some improvements to ISO/noise, slightly improved AF and whatever else the Digic 5 brings (maybe get a BSI sensor as a testbed for making a FF BSI)

The 60D was kinda the stepchild as it was too similar to the 7D and 600D, thus my point:
I want the 70D to get AFMA and have a 9.8mp sensor.  Call me crazy for the reduction in MP, but I have read many places that crop 18mp tests the limits of physics and quality with currently used sensor technology (no first hand experience, just a lot of opinions read).
Why 9.8mp?  After the sensor is cropped to 16:9, 1080p video would have an even 2x2 sensor pixels per video pixel.  This would tickle the HDSLR video peeps.  It would also make many happy who (like myself) dont really want 18mp as much as better ISO/noise performance.  A boost in AF might also be nice improvement.

I don't think that this will actually happen because Canon would be crazy to have sensor design/production for only one niche-ish body that isn't a 1 series, but then again I don't think that they expected the 5D2 to take off as much as it did for video.

What do you think?  Am I crazy or just have a decent "wish" camera?
T3i | 15-85mm | 70-300mm L | ∑ 30mm | ∑ 50mm | 430exII

canon rumors FORUM

My 9.8mp 70D dream
« on: February 01, 2012, 06:13:40 PM »

ctmike

Re: My 9.8mp 70D dream
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 06:40:05 PM »
Well... as I'm looking to purchase in November this year (and thus hoping that there will be a 70D at that time)... I will call you crazy as you invited. :) (Kidding, of course).

For me, I feel awfully comfortable with a T2i in my hand... 7D is a bit of a stretch for my capabilities and budget... so for me, if I were buying now, I'd be all over a 60D with a decent zoom and a prime.

I get what you are saying though. Do I REALLY need 18MP or could we stand to benefit more from better ISO/range/all that... for now though, I hope they improve everything, without any one spec taking a hit. To me I don't think there's anything wrong with some nice incremental improvements to an already nice camera.

funkboy

• Canon 6D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 06:58:52 PM »
There's always the 10mp mRAW mode on the 7D.  Wish it could do some real tricks with the extra pixels like my Fuji though...

BaconBets

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 07:58:45 PM »
If it had 2 stops better than 7D/60D and images as clean as the 12mp 5D or D700, with sweet-spot video performance.....I would drop $1000 on it in a heartbeat. My 55" TV is 2mp.....10mp on a crop body is plenty. Perfect even.

cpsico

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 08:21:38 PM »
I was explaining some camera stuff to a friend who can compose a picture but doesn't know how to use a camera very well and I had a thought.  Canon's APS-C offerings seem to be very crowded and similar with the differences between them being very small.

My predictions:
The next xxxxD should be a T1i on a diet
The 650D should have some slight improvements but remain mostly the same as the 600D
7D2 will remain 18mp APS-C with some improvements to ISO/noise, slightly improved AF and whatever else the Digic 5 brings (maybe get a BSI sensor as a testbed for making a FF BSI)

The 60D was kinda the stepchild as it was too similar to the 7D and 600D, thus my point:
I want the 70D to get AFMA and have a 9.8mp sensor.  Call me crazy for the reduction in MP, but I have read many places that crop 18mp tests the limits of physics and quality with currently used sensor technology (no first hand experience, just a lot of opinions read).
Why 9.8mp?  After the sensor is cropped to 16:9, 1080p video would have an even 2x2 sensor pixels per video pixel.  This would tickle the HDSLR video peeps.  It would also make many happy who (like myself) dont really want 18mp as much as better ISO/noise performance.  A boost in AF might also be nice improvement.

I don't think that this will actually happen because Canon would be crazy to have sensor design/production for only one niche-ish body that isn't a 1 series, but then again I don't think that they expected the 5D2 to take off as much as it did for video.

What do you think?  Am I crazy or just have a decent "wish" camera?
lol sounds like you have just invented the c300

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 08:23:37 PM »
If you want to optimize sensor resolution for sensor size, I would argue for 12.6MP (4096x3072).  That gets you 4k and 2k@2x2.

boateggs

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 08:51:30 PM »
lol sounds like you have just invented the c300

LOL I forget about that $20k monster.  A ~$1200 crop that uses 5 year old MP counts with modern features, manufacturing, technology and is ment to be a stills camera primarily is what I want.  The c300 seems to be a video only camera with the ability to remove stills along with ND filters built in and a bunch of other stuff like that

If you want to optimize sensor resolution for sensor size, I would argue for 12.6MP (4096x3072).  That gets you 4k and 2k@2x2.

works for me too.  the larger photo sites of either should benefit form modern manufacturing that utilize smaller processes
T3i | 15-85mm | 70-300mm L | ∑ 30mm | ∑ 50mm | 430exII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 08:51:30 PM »