October 25, 2014, 08:24:04 PM

Author Topic: When will Canon 1D-X release?  (Read 7595 times)

kirispupis

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
When will Canon 1D-X release?
« on: December 22, 2011, 01:21:16 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has heard anything more solid on whether the 1D-X will actually release at the end of March.  Currently I am not so sure.

- Canon themselves have said the camera will be released in Japan at the end of March.  How long does it usually take between the Japan release and the US release?
- I have not seen any reputable sites with a price yet.  Only on B&H can I search for it, though I know Adorama has it in their system (because I have a preorder).
- I have yet to see a single professional give their opinions after using it in the field.  I know people who have used one at a trade show, but haven't heard of anyone reporting on it from the field.
- I have yet to see a single image from the camera that gives an idea of the high ISO capabilities.  All of the images so far have been too small.

My suspicions thus far are that if we do not see the last three items fulfilled by the end of January, then we're probably looking at mid-summer.
5D3|TS-E 24 II|TS-E 17|TS-E 90|200-400/1.4x|MP-E 65|100/2.8 IS Macro|70-200/2.8 IS II||16-35/2.8 II|EOS M

canon rumors FORUM

When will Canon 1D-X release?
« on: December 22, 2011, 01:21:16 PM »

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Re: When will Canon 1D-X release?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 01:27:48 PM »
The scheduled initial ship date is officially the end of March 2012.
canonrumors.com

kirispupis

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 02:07:54 PM »
Well I know that

I was looking for a bit more insight. :) For example until recently Canon had a scheduled release date for the new 500 + 600 of this December.  Even before Canon extended that date, it was quite obvious that they would never meet it.  As I understand a similar thing happened when Canon announced the 1D4 - it was not really available until well after the ship date.

What I was wondering if this is the same thing.  Do you actually believe Canon will make this date?
5D3|TS-E 24 II|TS-E 17|TS-E 90|200-400/1.4x|MP-E 65|100/2.8 IS Macro|70-200/2.8 IS II||16-35/2.8 II|EOS M

bikersbeard

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 02:38:18 PM »
lets hope so, hoping a slight earlier release as the D4 will be announced and ready to ship in January.. ( apparently )

just hope the reviews and test will be out quickly after the official release..

cant help think whats nikons got up thier sleeve with the D4 with the ISO with it being 12800 same as D3s native compared with the 1Dx 51200 !!

surelly the 1Dx isnt going to be that much better, and with reports of it saying its 2 stops better than before that only at best equals the D3s

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 03:27:48 PM »

surelly the 1Dx isnt going to be that much better, and with reports of it saying its 2 stops better than before that only at best equals the D3s

and keep in mind that those two stops improvement over the 1DIV refers to a Jpeg in camera image.  So for a RAW file it will be less then that. and compared to the 5D mkII, it might be even less improvement even more...

But to the original question, I too wonder about their ability to deliver and meet supply/demand at launch for sure.  Heck I am still waiting to order the new Pixma Pro-1 printer announced in October.  It was supposed to be available in November.  Now its end of December and still not available!  I hope the same thing does not happen to the 1DX!
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

MartinvH

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 03:45:40 PM »

Same here in the Netherlands

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 04:31:39 PM »

Don't mean to avoid initial question, I think it will be delayed until late April.

As for ISO-improvement, I don't get the "only" two stops either. If we look at previous 1-series:

The mk4 is two stops better than the mkIII, well, so far so good, only that is the SAME size sensor with a 60% INCREASE in resolution.

The 1d X benefits from a larger sensor, first ever with gapless microlenses, new processor, only a veeeery slight increase in res, and decrease compared to the 1ds3 and 5d2 sensor. So two years later, bigger sensor, new processor, new tech on the sensor itself should, in theory, equal to at least 3,5 stops.... If someone knows why, other than this is what Canon do, small improvements that SHOULD have been more... And I still think that the points are very cluster, although it seems I was right in saying that the previous af-points were too large for precise af, look at the size difference between mk4 points and 1d X...
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 04:31:39 PM »

Ryusui

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 10:48:09 PM »
FWIW - I work in a camera store and our Canon sales rep does not even have any detailed info on the 1D X availability date.  Or at least none that he's sharing with us.  When asked, he did verify that Canon should still be meeting their general March release date.
From what I can tell, it's not even available for dealers to pre-order yet.  At least, I can't find any sign of it.

Isaac

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 03:08:50 AM »

Right, so therefore proper availability will be in April & May 2012.

waving_odd

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 04:08:26 PM »
I have not seen any reputable sites with a price yet.  Only on B&H can I search for it, though I know Adorama has it in their system (because I have a preorder).

Another camera boutique in NYC that I am a patron with told me a pre-order is just a spot on the waiting list you save.  It doesn't tell any time frame.  They don't know.  I bet Adorama doesn't know either.  Only when you see B&H's taking pre-orders, it indicates they are expecting batches very shortly.

we're probably looking at mid-summer.

I'd guess definitely some time before Olympics in July or at least enough time before the journalists can get their pre-orders filled.  Otherwise, Canon doesn't need to rush!   :P

waving_odd

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 03:30:26 PM »
Do you actually believe Canon will make this date?

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_1Dx.html

"...2012 January 1st... I'm assured that Canon are really keen to make that end of March shipping date - even if only a few cameras..."

EYEONE

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 03:58:08 PM »
So two years later, bigger sensor, new processor, new tech on the sensor itself should, in theory, equal to at least 3,5 stops....

Oh really? That seems like a shot in the dark/nothing but a guess/something with no basis in reality.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 11:22:32 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has heard anything more solid on whether the 1D-X will actually release at the end of March.
I have yet to see a single professional give their opinions after using it in the field. 

Photographers who have had the opportunity to use and beta test pre-release 1DX bodies are operating under extremely strict non-disclosure agreements. Canon rival Apple for pre-release secrecy and very tough NDA's.

Like a lot of photographers who have lucked out and visited their CPS at the right time I've had a 20 minute play with a 1DX under the watchful eyes of our CPS rep. The CF card slot seemed to be glued shut to prevent full res files escaping into a curious world.

What I can say is that it feels and responds like a thoroughbred, turbo charged, race prepared 1D4 and I'm not talking about the FPS rate. All functions especially AF feel faster and sharper and more responsive. The spec details are well documented.  It was difficult to properly assess high iso files on the small camera monitor but the indications are very very good. My only disappointment is the slight weight increase. I'm not what you would call Mr Muscles and a long day on location with a couple of 1-Series bodies and chunky fast glass sometimes takes its toll. Still, I didn't hestitate to get my pre-order in.

The March shipping date looks secure, though the initial deliveries will go to volume buyers, news organizations and so on. April/May is probably a reality for those who pre-ordered soon after the announcement.

Paul Wright

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 11:25:42 PM by pwp »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 11:22:32 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 11:41:27 PM »
So two years later, bigger sensor, new processor, new tech on the sensor itself should, in theory, equal to at least 3,5 stops....

Oh really? That seems like a shot in the dark/nothing but a guess/something with no basis in reality.

Hahaha did you intend that to be a pun?...
shot in the dark... 3.5 stops...

eh I thought it was funny :D
APS-H Fanboy

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 03:47:45 AM »
Well, it wasn't completely 100% seriously meant when I said it, but I think it could be more than it actually is. I would much rather have a better DR, but I think that one is the result of the other. So making a big leap in DR, I hope they did, and they actually advertise the DR, which they haven't before, so that will naturally lead to better noise performance. I'm just very annoyed by the fact that they always seems to do something halfass with the 1-series. If there was a better camera from Canon I would by it, I don't really care about the price, I want something that works. It's A L O T more expensive to buy $7000 camera every two years, instead of getting one that works, because the way they are built they won't wear out for 10 years at least...

Anyone of you used a mk3 and mk4 extensively? Then you know what I mean and can read between the lines of annoyed claims of 3,5 stops  :P

"shall we include spot-af and dual-cross AF-sensor?" No,no,no,no, late's save that for the 7d, so the mk4 owners will be pissed for two years, running to buy the 1d X.

And yes we do, but only with the tiny hope that the other things wrong with a mk4 would be good enough, not always better, but something that works.....

« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 04:01:48 AM by Viggo »
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 03:47:45 AM »