December 21, 2014, 03:19:17 PM

Author Topic: Is it worth picking up the 1D-X?  (Read 10745 times)

stringfellow1946

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Chris Weston Photography
Re: Is it worth picking up the 1D-X?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 04:15:37 AM »
Is the 1DX worth it? From what I am reading on the CPS Site the answer is 100% YES (well for me at least).  Whatever the 5d MK3 has it won’t ever be as good with the AF as the 1DX. Lower level cameras never are as good with AF as the 1D series (the 1DMK3 being the exception) it wouldn’t be in Canons interest to make them that way as it would kill sales of the Pro Level cameras.

Six preset Case studies
There are six AF ‘Case studies’ preset within the EOS-1D X with an icon and example usage within the menu display to allow for optimisation of AF options.
•   Case 1 is for general purpose shooting that provides accurate and fast focus across a wide range of shooting situations.
•   Case 2 is designed for situations where the subject may move away from the AF point momentarily.
•   Case 3 allows you to instantly focus on subjects that enter the AF point area.
•   Case 4 is designed for subjects that change speed or direction rapidly.
•   Case 5 is designed for use with automatic AF point selection, Zone AF and AF Point expansion and subjects that move erratically, up and down or left and right.
Case 6 is for subjects that change speed abruptly and move erratically. Like ‘Case 5’ it is used with Automatic AF point selection, Zone AF and AF Point Expansion.

I will be selling my 1DsMk3 ASAP to buy a 1DX but will keep the 1DMK4 as I like the 1.3 crop. I personally am not that bothered about the 12 fps but more interested in the lower noise levels the 1DX Promises but I will wait for it to be released before buying one.
1DX, 1Dmk4, 1D2N, 8-15 f/4L, 16-35 f/2.8L, 24-70 f/2.8 II L, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8 is II L, 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, 35 f/1.4L, 50 f/2.5 macro, 85 f/1.8, 300 f/4 L.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 04:15:37 AM »

motorhead

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2011, 04:28:25 AM »
Whatever your thoughts on the specification of the 1Dx and heaven knows I have severe doubts about Canons mental state when THAT was decided, it certainly is a beautifully built piece of kit.

I was lucky enough to handle one during a presentation put on by Canon recently where they allowed us all to "borrow" the latest big prime lenses and take them off site to the local bird sanctuary completely unsupervised. The 1Dx had no memory card and the slot was taped up, otherwise we were free to do what we wanted.

If you want a camera that will obviously have an extremely limited life span, having been designed entirely around the "London" Olympics and the needs of the photojournalists among us who are lucky enough to be covering the 2012 events, then go for it. It is not a camera for the studio or "fine art" or landscape photographer.

alipaulphotography

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2011, 07:10:27 AM »
If you don't need it, then don't get it. Simple as that.

If you want cleaner low light pictures then buy some primes! You could get a whole range of them for less than a 1DX.

And whoever said the 500L is a good travel lens is bonkers! I take a 50mm and nothing else when travelling!

Picsfor

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2011, 08:18:30 AM »
In a word - "no"

The 1DX is not just about high ISO. It is about a lot more, and if you're achieving everything with a 5D2 - why change?

See, if the 5D2 continues to work for another year or 2, then the price of the 1DX will have dropped to the £4k mark (or less?) at which point, the price may be closer to what a 5D3 might be.
(I'm one of those who think the 5D3 will come with a single Digic 5+ processor giving offering 30 ish mp and another stop of ISO and maybe slightly improved AF but for about the £2500 mark).

Then you could really look at what would body would provide the most benefit to your photography - if any at all!

But £5300 for mainly hobby is not something i would consider investing in unless i was Bill Gates or Lord Sugar!

handsomerob

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2011, 08:38:32 AM »
The 1DX is not just about high ISO. It is about a lot more, and if you're achieving everything with a 5D2 - why change?

So true.

See, if the 5D2 continues to work for another year or 2, then the price of the 1DX will have dropped to the £4k mark (or less?) at which point, the price may be closer to what a 5D3 might be.
(I'm one of those who think the 5D3 will come with a single Digic 5+ processor giving offering 30 ish mp and another stop of ISO and maybe slightly improved AF but for about the £2500 mark).

Hmm.. Assuming you meant another stop of "clean" ISO (and not another stop of native ISO); 30ish MP and another stop of clean ISO would be a technological breakthrough.

I would already be really happy if 5DIII at 30ish MP would offer the same (or similar) high ISO performance of the 5DII :P

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2011, 12:09:56 PM »
I preordered the camera at Adorama.  They are accepting preorders...

Not anymore, or at least, not that I can find. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

kennykodak

• Rebel T5i
  • M.Photog.MEI.Cr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2011, 01:38:22 PM »
i hope that it's worth it, i have on order.  i need the low light, full frame, extended focus points and dual card capability.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2011, 01:38:22 PM »

zsj11

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2011, 07:13:09 PM »
I preordered the camera at Adorama.  They are accepting preorders...

You will have to call them. Currently, they only accept pre-order of 1DX over the phone, not online.  Adorama set an internal pricing of 1DX at $9999.  Of course this is not the price you pay.  They will take a credit card authorization of a small amount (not an actual charge) to hold your place.  Once the pricing of 1DX is finalized by Canon, you will be given an opportunity to either accept that price and confirm your order, or you may choose to withdraw.  Adorama is very reliable based on my 4-year experience dealing with them and will never charge your card until the camera is actually shipped, so personally I see no risk at all to place a pre-order.

I will be shooting at the Olympic Trials and also in London so I will surely need this camera.  I called them in early November as soon as I figured out this channel, and there were already more than 50 people ahead of me. Good luck!

kitaoka

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2011, 04:54:14 AM »
I would recommend spending money on a good class like those held in Santa Fe or other recognized instructional courses. So much of what comes out of your work lies behind the camera and lens rather than the type of equipment you utilize. Sure, equipment can make a difference, but my personal belief is learning HOW to use your gear improves a shot much more than the gear itself.

Like so many other pursuits we tend to focus our attention on gear and that's evident on all forums be they photography, cars, or other hobbies. I taught closed course motorcycle racing for years and was always pleased when students improved their lap times through instruction and practice much more than buying new gear. "Seat time" as we called it with proper instruction may be something you want to consider.

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2011, 09:04:44 AM »
Of course it's worth picking one up!

But what for?

Why would you use it?

What could it do for you the 7D and hot glass could not?

If so, get it and love it! Treat it well, and feed it gloriously.

If not, there are many other cameras in the sea...
What is truth?

Isaac

« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2011, 02:43:30 AM »
As a wedding and event photographer the 1Dx is definitely on the list. The only problem is that there is a big difference in cost between the 1Dx and 5D3:

1Dx - $7000
5D3 - $3000

Nevertheless both camera's look like they will be master pieces  ;D

krakozyabr

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2011, 08:03:15 AM »
kirispupis: I've read much here about super-high ISO performance, incredible AF system etc... that are the true killer features. Well... depending on how they will really perform at real world in the hands of not canon testers. I think many of you saw high iso test shots that were really amazing and hope they were not with huge amount of post-pro from any of the CS5 guru-people ;)

But you didn't mention digic 5+ processors that are considered to deliver exceptional exposure and color control providing great mid-tone contrast increasing overall image quality. I've read some comments as well as saw some videos from people that say "photoshop is not needed" with 1dx... I don't know how much truth is in their words but... it makes to think of smth

For real... I don't think that AF system and higher that 1d Mark IV ISO performance will force pro-wedding-sports-guys to sell there bodies and go for 1Dx :) And, besides, they are the target people for that camera. That thing is deeper... increase in dynamic range and accurate exposure may be also one of the key features, and I suppose canon will rely on them when advertising because ISO is not enough (Nikon d3s or d3x has outstanding (read higher) working iso besides, so if canon whats to outsell them 2 points are not enough). If having 5dm2 with working ISO 6400 will you upgrade if you will be offered with the same, but working ISO increased to 12800? I guess not... unless you'll need it now and today or for free.

At cpn.canon-europe.com there is a great article describing both AF and AE systems, explaining many new features that will be introduced and much is said about image and color quality. Al in all I just want to say that looking at 1dx just like at increase in ISO or AF is not correct, but I may be wrong of course...

P.S. Don't blame me for Nikon:)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 08:11:36 AM by krakozyabr »

waving_odd

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2011, 03:36:15 PM »
Kirispupis, I don't want to repeat how many good features on 1D X get me excited (read EXCITED) like other posters do on this thread.  I just want to share my experience on your following point:

Finally I take a great number of photos travelling.  For this scenario I take both the 5D2 and 7D and often have both cameras out at the same time.  I typically put the 70-200/2.8 II on the 7D and the TS-E 24 II on the 5D2.  If I go through with the 1D-X I would carry only that camera as I would sell the 7D + 5D2.  For examples of places traveled to we did Uzbekistan+Tajikistan this year and have trips booked to Dubai and Tuscany next year.

I have similar set up when travelling.  5D2 + TS-E 24/3.5 II and 7D + 16-35/2.8 II.  But when I receive my 1D X, I will only sell the 7D.  The reason is I don't want to change lenses at the spot when travelling.  My wife usually carries the 7D set up for her snapshots while I carry the 5D2 + TS-E primarily for landscape.  Both are light and compact.

If you end up with just one 1D X, TS-E 24 II, and 70-200/2.8 II, ask yourself if you are OK with changing lenses at the spot back and forth when you are in Tuscany for example.

You will have to call them. Currently, they only accept pre-order of 1DX over the phone, not online.

Neuroanatomist, have you called them yet?  I just called but I think they are close.  Just want to know about how many people are on the list now...   ???
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 01:52:37 PM by waving_odd »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2011, 03:36:15 PM »

kirispupis

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2011, 05:30:25 PM »
If you end up with just one 1D X, TS-E 24 II, and 70-200/2.8 II, ask yourself if you are OK with changing lenses at the spot back and forth when you are in Tuscany for example.
This is a good question.  Right now I cannot afford to keep both the 5D2 and the 1D-X.  I will need to sell the 5D2 and the 7D to afford the 1D-X.  There are other pluses and minuses to carrying two cameras, but essentially if I move to the 1D-X I will have a single camera (other than my X10) for about a year.

Right now I am still leaning towards going with the 1D-X, though I really wish Canon would publish some actual full res shots at high ISO and give the camera out to pros who are allowed to blog on it.  The main thing pushing me is I for the most part have the glass I want and the items left are all a P2.  Even among the rumored lenses (24-70 2.8 II, 100-400 II, 35L, etc) there isn't anything that I would really want.
5D3|TS-E 24 II|TS-E 17|TS-E 90|200-400/1.4x|MP-E 65|100/2.8 IS Macro|70-200/2.8 IS II||16-35/2.8 II|EOS M

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2011, 10:35:06 PM »
Neuroanatomist, have you called them yet?  I just called but I think they are close.  Just want to know about how many people are on the list now...   ???

Not yet - I am planning to preorder from B&H. Would be nice to have it for a trip planned for February, but that's not going to happen, so I'm not in a huge rush as my next trip won't be until summer.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2011, 10:35:06 PM »