October 02, 2014, 10:54:06 AM

Author Topic: How many of you would....  (Read 13445 times)

BaconBets

How many of you would....
« on: December 22, 2011, 10:00:40 PM »
Pay $2995 for a 1d4 aps-h sensor in a 7d body?

It is conceivable that after the 1Dx is released, Canon could continue selling their APS-H sensor in the smaller form factor of a 7d body, and fill a major void in the market. The pros would flock to the new 1Dx, but perhaps add one of these as a backup. Meanwhile it seems like it would hit the sweet-spot for the prosumer/enthusiast crowd that shoot events, sports and video. Methinks it makes sense.

APS-H (great for video and sports)
7-8 FPS
ISO 12,800 (same as 1d4)
7d AF
7d Body

It would certainly address 80% of the complaints we have....and the hardware is already developed!
The studio/landscaper crowd will have their needs addressed with the upcoming models anyways.
Make sense? Or am I an idiot?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 10:29:22 PM by BaconBets »

canon rumors FORUM

How many of you would....
« on: December 22, 2011, 10:00:40 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: How many of you would....
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 10:05:45 PM »
Pay $2995 for a 1d4 aps-h sensor in a 7d body?

It is conceivable that after the 1Dx is released, Canon could continue selling their APS-H sensor in the smaller form factor of a 7d body, and fill a major void in the market. The pros would flock to the new 1Dx, but perhaps add one of these as a backup. Meanwhile it seems like it would hit the sweet-spot the prosumer/enthusiast crowd that shoot events, sports and video. Methinks it makes sense.

APS-H (great for video and sports)
7-8 FPS
ISO 12,800 (same as 1d4)
7d AF
7d Body

It would certainly address 80% of the complaints we have....and the hardware is already developed!
The studio/landscaper crowd will have their needs addressed with the upcoming models anyways.
Make sense? Or am I an idiot?
I would buy 1 in a heartbeat!except they may aswell keep the old 1D AF in it
call it a 6D
edit i would probably buy 2 :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 10:09:24 PM by wickidwombat »
APS-H Fanboy

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 10:13:51 PM »
I'd hazard a guess that you'd sell more with an 18MP aps-c 7D sensor in a 1D4-type body, better sealed, better AF (f/8 focussing!), more fps, longer shutter-life, more bracketing, dual card-slots, etc, for the same $3k.
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

BaconBets

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 10:16:45 PM »
I would buy 1 in a heartbeat!except they may aswell keep the old 1D AF in it
call it a 6D
edit i would probably buy 2 :)

6D was the name I was thinking too.

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 10:23:03 PM »
I'd hazard a guess that you'd sell more with an 18MP aps-c 7D sensor in a 1D4-type body, better sealed, better AF (f/8 focussing!), more fps, longer shutter-life, more bracketing, dual card-slots, etc, for the same $3k.
its the small form factor thats the draw card,
APS-H Fanboy

dr croubie

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 02:06:13 AM »

Or the 1D4 features, AF, fps, f/8 focussing, 7D sensor, in an ungripped 7D body then?
Gear Photos

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 02:51:34 AM »

Or the 1D4 features, AF, fps, f/8 focussing, 7D sensor, in an ungripped 7D body then?
but the 1D4 APS-H sensor is so much better
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 02:51:34 AM »

dr croubie

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 03:30:15 AM »

but the 1D4 APS-H sensor is so much better
Yeah, it is, true. Methinks we need to put this to a vote:
18MP 7D aps-c sensor, 1D4 gripped body, well sealed, 45pt AF with f/8, long-life shutter, 10fps and buffer to match, dual cardslots, 7-shot bracketing
18MP 7D aps-c sensor, 7D-sized ungripped body, the rest as above.
16MP 1D4 aps-h sensor, 7D-sized & sealed body, 19pt af, no f/8, normal shutter life, 8fps and buffer, single cardslot and 3-shot bracket.

If all were the same price and they were the choices?
hmmm, maybe I'd have considered the third option instead of buying the 7D at the time I did. But as it stands as a 7D owner now, the first or second i'd consider now as upgrades to my 7D (if I'm going to upgrade sensors and lose ef-s capability, i'm just going to go straight to FF for landscapes and keep the 7D for birds)

can we make this into a poll?
Gear Photos

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 04:03:16 AM »
1. The 7D already has 8fps
2. The 7D already expands to 12800 ISO
3. The 7D's major draw: The 1.6x crop factor
4. The 7D's next major draw: 18 MP

The ASP-C is the poor man's teleconverter; loss of the 1.6x crop would make all my lenses shorter. Further compounding this problem would be the loss of resolution; unless they significantly increased the megapixel count, my crops would be weakened mightily. I use my 7D largely for bird photography; a 7Dmk II ASP-H would really not work as well for this. Further compounding the problem would be that my ef-s lenses would not work. And, yes, I have several... 

However, what Dr. Croubie mentioned:

18MP 7D aps-c sensor, 1D4 gripped body, well sealed, 45pt AF with f/8, long-life shutter, 10fps and buffer to match, dual cardslots, 7-shot bracketing

I would totally buy one of these...
What is truth?

handsomerob

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 05:28:34 AM »
Yeah, it is, true. Methinks we need to put this to a vote:
18MP 7D aps-c sensor, 7D-sized ungripped body, the rest as above.
16MP 1D4 aps-h sensor, 7D-sized & sealed body, 19pt af, no f/8, normal shutter life, 8fps and buffer, single cardslot and 3-shot bracket.

If all were the same price and they were the choices?

If all were the same price;

1st camera is basicaly an APS-C 1DIV. Wildlife/day time sports shooters would LOVE this camera.

2nd one would be too expensive compared to the 1st one since it's the same camera but you don't get a grip with it and yet pay the same price. The 1st one would also have a much better battery, thanks to that integrated grip. So this camera would make the least sense of the 3 options.

3rd one is basicaly an APS-H 7D. Could become popular among low-light sports shooters who can't afford a 1Dx. But for the same price, many would go for the 1st one. It offers better AF, faster shooting, dual cards, grip and better battery = better value IMO.

So the question is; do you want an APS-C 1DIV or an APS-H 7D?

I would definitely go for an APS-C 1DIV.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 05:32:56 AM by handsomerob »

briansquibb

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 06:25:57 AM »
Howabout a 1D4 with single Digi5 and 8fps? Coming in at about $4000

smirkypants

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 08:17:30 AM »
With the technological advances of the last several years, I think Canon could easily build AP-H quality into an AP-C chip. I think this is what most of us want in the 7D2 anyway. Every one of my colleagues says the same thing: I love the 1.6 crop of the 7D but I need the IQ of the 1D4, and I say that too. I shoot the 1D4 at "important" events or when the skies are gray, but use the 7D when conditions are perfect and I am shooting for less important clients. Gotta save those shutter actuations....

So no, I would prefer a better AP-C for sports and an FF for the social photos. The AP-H going forward seems rather pointless to me.

briansquibb

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 08:23:12 AM »

So no, I would prefer a better AP-C for sports and an FF for the social photos. The AP-H going forward seems rather pointless to me.

I couldn't live with the messy bokeh that APS-C cameras give. That is not the sensor but the optics - neuro has explained this many times.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 08:23:12 AM »

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
An ASP-C 1D4 would be great....

But an ASP-H 7D would be... unthinkable... unconscionable... unacceptable.
What is truth?

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 08:41:39 AM »
I would be very interested to get one, although for me I suspect the 1DX will be more than I can handle so I should be content with it for a whie!  What I like about your suggestion though is the use the APS-H sensor instead of the APS-C.  I like this idea for a 7D replacement or a new 1 series model.  Probably an expensive solution for Canon though to keep this sensor around, but very interesting indeed!
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 08:41:39 AM »