October 21, 2014, 03:28:27 PM

Author Topic: weird "grid lines" in 5DII pictures  (Read 8209 times)

EyesOnly

weird "grid lines" in 5DII pictures
« on: December 24, 2011, 01:55:08 AM »
I just got a refurbished 5DII and was looking at my first couple of pictures I took. They show very weird lines instead of the normal grain all over the image. :o

Did anyone ever see this before? What is causing this?

I've all setting on default basically and used multiple lenses with the same results. In 100% view I can clearly see the lines and even after converting to JPEG with Photoshop (ACR) they are still there.

I attached a 200% crop from Photoshop and a 100% from the saved JPG.

canon rumors FORUM

weird "grid lines" in 5DII pictures
« on: December 24, 2011, 01:55:08 AM »

photogaz

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Photogaz
Re: weird "grid lines" in 5DII pictures
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 04:21:39 AM »
Looks like there's something seriously wrong with it.

Can you post a RAW file?

PeterJ

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 05:10:33 AM »
I can't open the attachments for some reason, but looking at the first crop I certainly can't think of any setting problem that would give that effect. Apart from the camera being faulty it could be worth trying a different CF card if you have one, or at least try re-seating it. I've never seen those symptoms with a camera in particular but could imagine a faulty address line on the memory bus or card giving that kind of effect.

Edit - just thought to add, do you get the same in live view at 10x zoom? That would take memory card problems out of the equation. Memory card not so likely after further thought because RAW has lossless compression I believe so the lines wouldn't correspond to memory areas throughout.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 05:18:45 AM by PeterJ »

motorhead

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 05:38:34 AM »
I've got many images with that same square pattern in even tones. Generally its where the image was under exposed and has needed pushing in post processing, typical examples would be early morning shots with mist rising and red sunrise etc, where the light levels were very low and I've tweaked too much. Many of the Salisbury Cathedral shots in the same series as those I've put on my zenfolio site have exacly that problem.

I have never seen it on so called "correct" exposures, whatever they are. So unless you are seeing it on every image, I'd not worry about it.

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 06:03:00 AM »
Sorry, I've never noticed this effect before... My guess is that it's either some sort of jpeg artifact (try processing a raw file), or a diffraction pattern (what f-stop was this picture taken at?).  I know that old box brownie images often showned this "fishnet" look (caused by diffraction), but you could see it in the actual print; you crop looks like you're zoomed in to well over 100%.  Can you see this effect at lower magnifications? If not, then I wouldn't worry about it. 

motorhead

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 06:23:47 AM »
I can say that its definitely not a jpeg artifact. I'm certain of that because I only shoot in RAW format.

alipaulphotography

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 06:24:45 AM »
What resolution are you shooting in? They look like pixels to me....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 06:24:45 AM »

MazV-L

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 08:16:09 AM »
Vaguely remember coming across some info. on this about 2yrs ago on the net when I was trying to decide between 5Dii or used 5D, I decided on the latter because some of the early 5Diis were having this sort of a problem.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 08:19:12 AM by MazV-L »

EyesOnly

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 11:51:33 AM »
I'll try to cover all your questions:

HERE is a CR2 RAW file from on of the pictures.
I always shoot in regular RAW mode, 21MP.
Tried to reseat the CF card without success.
I get the same bad result when shooting with EOS Utility (transferring directly over USB).
The lines do not appear in live view with 10x magnification for some reason.

The point is that I can see this pattern in 100% view on most pictures and even after saving as JPG. This is really annoying. I just want a nice 5DII to shoot with, but not something like this.  :'(

trulandphoto

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Upstate NY attorney and photographer
    • View Profile
    • TrulandPhoto
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 12:12:16 PM »
I just ran your RAW through DPP and saved as jpg and it looks fine at 100% and 200%. I'd guess it's a PP issue maybe your downsizing? I could try lightroom and see what it looks like.

Update: I've tried different software and can't duplicate your problem. RAW and all jpgs are fine.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 12:23:49 PM by trulandphoto »

EyesOnly

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 12:35:05 PM »
Well this is what I get from DPP. Still clearly visible lines.

EyesOnly

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 01:03:50 PM »
Of course there's a limitation somewhere, but I've never seen this before on any other camera. And to be honest, my Rebel XSi makes better pictures than the 5D at this point. If I look at the 200% crops from the XSi there is normal grain, but it has much less contrast and is random, not in this grid style.
Do you use a 5DII? Does it look the same? I basically want to find out if this is a common behavior or if it's just my camera.

motorhead

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2011, 01:14:35 PM »
I also disagree about it being normal grain.

I've just opened DPP and opened a RAW unprocessed image which I magnified to 200%. Trust me there is absolutely no sign of the squared off lines that the OP and I see. Grain there certainly is, but its random in appearance.

I repeat, the only time I see it is in images that for whatever reason have been incorrectly exposed and then an attempt in post-processing made to correct for the mistake.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2011, 01:14:35 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, 01:15:16 PM »
I opened the file in Lightroom, and something is definitely wrong, nothing like images from my 5D MK II.  you can see the grid at normal viewing size, no need to go to 1:1

However, it is not the original RAW file, it is a TIFF file, so something could be wrong with the conversion.

Here is what I see after opening the Tiff file in Lightroom 3 with no adjustments.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 10:54:07 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

EyesOnly

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2011, 01:35:11 PM »
If I try to download it, it also says TIFF, but I uploaded a CR2 file. I think it's just a browser thing. You can save it as CR2. And no matter what if I open it, ACR comes up, so it's RAW data.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2011, 01:35:11 PM »