October 01, 2014, 02:47:50 AM

Author Topic: weird "grid lines" in 5DII pictures  (Read 8138 times)

lol

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My dA
Re: weird "grid lines" in 5DII pictures
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2011, 01:41:24 PM »
I just tried it in ACR6.6 (Elements version) and DxO7.1. Both give the grid pattern easily visible at 200%+. Coincidently I was just trying out my new 5D2 today, and in a quick look mine doesn't give that pattern.

My gut feel from seeing it is there's something wrong with the de-mosaicing during raw conversion, but as different software shows it, maybe it is something about the camera RAW output?

So some random diagnostic thoughts: download and re-install the latest firmware. Reset the camera to defaults and then see if it is still there.
Canon 1D, 300D IR, 450D full spectrum, 600D, 5D2, 7D, EF 35/2, 50/1.8, 85/1.8, 135/2+SF, 70-300L, 100-400L
EF-S 15-85, TS-E 24, MP-E 65, Zeiss 50/2 macro, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8 OS, Samyang 8mm fisheye

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2011, 01:41:24 PM »

EyesOnly

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2011, 02:17:15 PM »
I updated the firmware from 2.0.9 to 2.1.1 and cleared all settings. I don't see any improvement with the issue though.

I guess I'll have to contact Canon and ship it back :(

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2011, 06:31:40 PM »
There's definitely something wrong. Tried with both ACR and DPP and while it's not the same, the grid is nevertheless visible in both, especially when sharpening is cranked up. NR can take care of most of it, but that's not a real solution. I have never seen anything like this before.

EyesOnly

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2011, 07:31:13 PM »
Thanks David for the comparison. I did the same thing with sharpening and details and it looked very suspicous to me too.

Would it be better to get a new one and send it back to Canon without asking for a replacement, or should the refurbished cameras in general be flawless?

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2011, 08:09:52 PM »
Thanks David for the comparison. I did the same thing with sharpening and details and it looked very suspicous to me too.

Would it be better to get a new one and send it back to Canon without asking for a replacement, or should the refurbished cameras in general be flawless?

It depends on what you paid.  right now, new ones are the same price as the refurbs (which are out of stock), so I'd go for a new one.  Maybe Canon will exchange it for a new one, you can ask.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2011, 11:59:45 PM »
I've seen this before but only on a 1D mk1 and only when an underexposed image is pushed
APS-H Fanboy

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2011, 11:38:28 AM »
Did you try a different memory card?  That is a remote possibility that should not be overlooked. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2011, 11:38:28 AM »

justsomedude

• 7D
  • 5D3, 6D and 7D2
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2011, 03:49:42 PM »
To the OP, I had a similar pattern noise issue this past summer with my 7D, which was severe vertical striping.  See my post on it at DPReview, here (image included at link)...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=39424620

The body had been back to Canon Irvine numerous times for this issue (in addition to repeated AF issues), with only "electrical adjustments" being listed as work done on my service reports, and Canon service reporting that the body was within normal performance specifications.  After this (intermittent) noise issue cropped up again in late September, I sent my 7D into the Irvine facility again with sample prints and a very sternly worded letter that the issue was not fixed, that I assumed a faulty sensor was at play, and that I demanded a complete repair or a full replacement body.

My repairs with Canon usually take less than 10 business days door to door.  Interestingly, this trip was exactly 3 weeks door to door - the longest turn around I've ever had with Irvine.   Maybe it was a seasonal issue, but I'm assuming more work was being done on my camera.  This was confirmed when my camera arrived and I read the service report.  It was EXTREMELY vague, but in a nutshell it said something along the lines of, "testing was done and it was determined that a faulty internal component was producing noise in images.  The internal component was replaced."

This was the first time in my 7D's seven visits to Canon that an actual part was replaced.  I'm assuming the sensor was swapped out, but I'll never really know.  If your noise issues persist, I'd suggest sending the body into Irvine with image samples, and a firm letter demanding concrete results.

Best of luck.

EyesOnly

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2011, 05:24:56 PM »
Did you try a different memory card?  That is a remote possibility that should not be overlooked.

I'd like to, but I only have one at the moment. The fact that I get the same results from EOS Utility which does not use the CF card makes me think that the issue is somewhere else though.

@justsomedude: Thanks for the information. I'll call Canon and see what the best approach to get this fixed will be.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2011, 10:29:26 PM »
I would suggest that if it is possible play it safe return the camera, get your money back and get a new one.
Otherwise you are running the risk of worrying whether this issue will reappear some time in the future.

Caps18

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2011, 12:00:00 AM »
That doesn't look right at all.

If you have the camera create Raw and Jpeg photos, is it in both?

What lens are you using?  (not that I think that would be the problem)
5D mark 2, 16-35mm f/2.8, 17mm TS-E f/4, 85mm f/1.8, 300mm f/4 + 1.4x, 580 EX Flash

motorhead

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2011, 01:06:46 PM »
I've not shown any of my shots and I feel I should show you that this issue is not the OP's alone. Here I've got two completely untouched CR2 RAW's, untouched that is except for a reduction to 800 pixels maximum and a jpeg conversion for this site, I've done nothing else to the image.

The pixels seem to be clumping into 64 pixel boxes which creates the odd squared off patterning.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2011, 07:31:57 PM »
Well, as I have already said, I would return the camera ASAP (and discuss later: Just like saying Shoot first, ask questions later!)

This is not normal at all and it has nothing to do with lens (of course) and memory card (since you mentioned
using the EOS utility to get the picture).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2011, 07:31:57 PM »

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2011, 09:03:23 PM »
I've definitely seen something like this before.

On my ex-gf's first camera, a 2MP point+shoot thingy, she used it in the rain too much, and from then on all the photos taken in bright sunlight all ended up looking like the one i've attached, way too blue and with the weird grid-lines all over the shop.
Indoors, and with lower-light it was fine though, which made it even weirder. I had a few theories about whether it was a white-balance and/or over-exposure problem, but never managed to fix it. In her case, the solution was to just get a new one, i'd be recommending that you do the same as soon as possible...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

EyesOnly

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2011, 12:33:06 AM »
That doesn't look right at all.

If you have the camera create Raw and Jpeg photos, is it in both?

What lens are you using?  (not that I think that would be the problem)

I don't see this issue in JPEG pictures somehow, but they are not really sharp and don't reveal all the detail in the picture. Also, who buys a 5D to shoot JPEG? ;)
I use the 16-35 II and 24-70.

Canon provided me with a RMA# and I'll return as soon as they email me the shipping label. I'll get the purchase price refunded as they don't offer direct exchange. I'd have to re-order which doesn't make a lot of sense when looking at the Adorama deal for $1989.

Thanks again everyone for all your input.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2011, 12:33:06 AM »