April 20, 2014, 07:23:44 AM

Author Topic: More Super G Series Talk  (Read 7268 times)

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: More Super G Series Talk
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011, 03:13:49 AM »
Something like a Ricoh GR Digital IV (fixed 28mm equiv. f/1.9), but with a larger sensor would be great. But Canon will never build one because it is too niche, so we will get something with a f/3.5-f/5.6 Zoom.

I'm using a Sony NEX 5n with a 16mm f/2.8 lens, total weight is 12.0 Oz. It's a great video camera, but without a hot shoe, it's not so good for stills. To me weight is more important than size, 'cause I never carry a camera in my pant/shirt pocket.

Cameras are just tools. I own cameras from Canon, Nikon, Sony and even a 4x5 Toyo. If Canon wants some of money, all they have to do is build something I need.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011, 03:13:49 AM »

Flake

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011, 04:01:20 AM »
My feeling is that Canon is planning a camera with a sensor larger than the G12, but not even as big as the Olympus 4/3rds sensor.  The reason behind that thinking is that lens physical size becomes larger as the sensor does (example the Sony NEX).  Currently the G12 lens is not physically so large, so it could stand some beefing up, but don't expect manual zoom, or a focus ring, nor a fast lens either.  This camera is more likely to be a Nikon V1 smaller with a fixed lens, and fewer controls.  It'll be what Canon says, almost a super G12 i.e. a bit bigger physically, with a slightly bigger sensor, but with all the current aspects of the G design.

Personally this is not what I am looking for and I'll probably stick with the NEX as a compact alternative.

CarebbianTraveler

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, 04:57:22 AM »
Just look at Nikon 1, if Canon also uses the CX sensor, and duplicate the fast auto focus Nikon 1 does, then a fast zoom starts at F2 on wide end, the rest can keep G12's design, that'll be a killer. 

I recently returned my Nikon 1 and bought s95 only to discover how much I hate its slow focusing (why am I even surprised). While I can tolerate a bit bigger size but not some big lens tubes like those Nikon 1 tried to sell me.  The idea of interchanged lens on this type of camera with a small sensor is simply pointless.  A super "G" would be my dream P&S or mirrorless whatever people want to call it.   

Come on, Canon, no more market researching, this is a a no-brainer.  A DSLR like focusing, metering, ISO/sensitivity, fast zoom fix lens are more important than ASP-C, pixel, and worst of all is to bring interchangeable lens into this segment, it defeats the whole point of being compact.

This would be too great: a G12 sized, real pocketable camera with Nikon 1's sensor and a sharp lens. I've seen some Nikon 1 pictures, and they really look great. The only problem is that it does not fit in my pocket anymore because of the interchangeable lens.

When such a camera arrives, I would be tempted to get rid of my Lumix LX3... But Canon is already on the wrong path with the S series: The zoom of the S100 is too big to produce halfway sharp corners.

And that's the sad point about Canon, the marketing will always prevent them from building the perfect camera. Just because everybody would stick with it and they have the same problem Microsoft has with Windows XP ;-)

polpaulin

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 05:32:13 AM »
without an aps-c sensor the interest is null, I'll go for sony Nex 5n

12 to 14 mp  and not these stupid 24 mp confetti
a zoom 28 to 105 or 120
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 05:34:33 AM by polpaulin »

bobquincy

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2011, 12:04:49 PM »
After 10 years of Canon dSLRs (from D30 to Rebel Xsi) I got tired of waiting for Canon to produce a smaller/lighter system (could be mirrorless or not) and bought into a Panasonic micro 4/3 system to replace my dSLRs.  I have a Canon G11 and it is a nice camera but image quality is nowhere near the Panasonic G3, it is probably just a limitation of the sensor size.

On a recent trip I used focal lengths from 7 to 175 (35mm equivalent of 14-350).  It is unlikely that a fixed lens camera can offer anywhere near this range, none do yet (that I am aware of).  Another lens that is in my plans is a f/1.7 or faster, no P&S offers this plus a zoom lens.  Again, the G series are good cameras but can't offer the flexibility of interchangeable lens cameras.

A super G appears to be a real niche camera, appealing to a small group who want good image quality and are ok with a small zoom range and limited aperture.  They will probably have to accept power zoom too.  If the price is anywhere near that of a good micro 4/3 I can't see Canon selling many of these and that is why I doubt Canon will produce such a camera.  I would be glad if they did though, more choices is always good!

As for myself, Canon will have to make something a lot like a micro 4/3 to get my business back, now that I have switched to Panasonic I really like it.

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2011, 12:57:48 PM »
Canon need to get FAST AF. As far as I know,even Casio is having faster focusing speed than Canon, LX5 is about twicw as fast compare to even S100. Fuji X10 is pretty fast. Nikon 1 is a speed demon, compare to S100.

tmrgrs

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2011, 02:53:47 PM »
What some of you here don't understand is that a mirrorless camera with a fixed lens is just an iteration of the P&S category and for that reason alone won't sell to the buyers (overwhelming majority) who aren't tech savvy enough to know whether it's any different than any other highend P&S.

The real beauty of the mirrorless interchangeable lens systems is that a buyer can be enticed into buying into a compact system that can be expanded with further lens purchases and that can be upgraded by keeping the lenses after buying a new generation camera body in the future. Of course, us DSLR users all appreciate this capability in our DSLR's but in the past have always been forced to give up that flexibility when just wanting to carry a small camera because the DSLR & lenses won't fit into our daypack or briefcase or women's purse or automobile glove compartment, etc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2011, 02:53:47 PM »