June 25, 2018, 03:50:01 PM

Author Topic: Announcement: Canon XC10, A Breakthrough Compact 4K Video and Stills Camcorder  (Read 36087 times)

drjlo

• EOS 5DS R
I'm amazed (and amazed that I'm still amazed) that when people whine for something (e.g. 4k recording) and it's provided, they swap to whining about something else. The same happened with the 5Ds/r on stills resolution. People want more of everything - but you're not going to get a one-size-fits-all world-beating product that's also cheap.

Well, playing Devil's advocate, the Main complaint is not that people want one-size-fits-all products; it's just that the other companies are offering much better performance+features to price ratio than Canon. 

canon rumors FORUM

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
I'm amazed (and amazed that I'm still amazed) that when people whine for something (e.g. 4k recording) and it's provided, they swap to whining about something else. The same happened with the 5Ds/r on stills resolution. People want more of everything - but you're not going to get a one-size-fits-all world-beating product that's also cheap.

Well, playing Devil's advocate, the Main complaint is not that people want one-size-fits-all products; it's just that the other companies are offering much better performance+features to price ratio than Canon.

Except they're not.

If you look only at spec sheets and then cherry-pick certain features, the competitors may seem to offer better features, but time after time, Canon delivers where it counts – in the marketplace.

Buyers are just as capable of comparing specs as are internet commenters. The difference is that buyers have to back their opinion up with cash. And, when it comes down to actually spending money on a product, Canon usually wins.

That's because Canon does something better than any of its competitors – it analyzes the market and develops products that are actually wanted by their target market.  I expect this will be true of the XC10 as well – the target market will buy and use this product and it will make money for Canon.

mackguyver

• Master of Pain
    • My Personal Work

Except they're not.

If you look only at spec sheets and then cherry-pick certain features, the competitors may seem to offer better features, but time after time, Canon delivers where it counts – in the marketplace.

Buyers are just as capable of comparing specs as are internet commenters. The difference is that buyers have to back their opinion up with cash. And, when it comes down to actually spending money on a product, Canon usually wins.

That's because Canon does something better than any of its competitors – it analyzes the market and develops products that are actually wanted by their target market.  I expect this will be true of the XC10 as well – the target market will buy and use this product and it will make money for Canon.
Well put and specmanship doesn't matter much when the sum of the specs equals a greater product.  I'd take a Canon or Nikon any day over their competitors simply based on the user interface alone.  Have any of you tried to use a Sony or Panasonic?  Try doing things like enabling burst mode, flash exposure compensation or the like.  You have to dive through endless menus and if things conflict, like burst mode and flash use do, good luck trying to figure that out.  And that's just one aspect...I could go on an on for hours.
CPS Score: 111 points, those 0 and 1 point items really add up

LetTheRightLensIn

Except they're not.

Canon has taken a total beating in the video marketplace for consumer camera and camcorder video. Canon has not been winning those sales since the 5D2.

jblake

• PowerShot G1 X II
Just received the B&H Announcement - $2499:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1134581-REG/canon_0565c013_xc10.html
I do not know how well this camera will compete against the GH4, the initial cost will be a LOT more than $2500 USD. 4K at 305 Mb/s will require a 256 MB CFast card, I think you would get around an hour or so of video time. B&H has the Lexar - Professional 256GB 3400x CFast 2.0 Memory Card for $989.95, making this XC10 camcorder come in at $3500 before you can go out an start shooting video.

Tugela

• EOS 5DS R

Except they're not.

Not really. This camera will fit into the G30/XA20/25 niche, and that is a declining market according to Canon. They have not addressed where that market segment is going with this camera.

Diltiazem

• EOS Rebel T7i
  • Curiosity didn't kill me, yet.
I do not know how well this camera will compete against the GH4, the initial cost will be a LOT more than $2500 USD. 4K at 305 Mb/s will require a 256 MB CFast card, I think you would get around an hour or so of video time. B&H has the Lexar - Professional 256GB 3400x CFast 2.0 Memory Card for $989.95, making this XC10 camcorder come in at $3500 before you can go out an start shooting video.

From press release (taken from DPR)
"The Canon XC10 4K Digital Camcorder is scheduled to be available in June 2015 for an estimated retail price of $2,499.00 with SanDisk 64GB CFast™ 2.0 card and card reader."

canon rumors FORUM

jblake

• PowerShot G1 X II

"The Canon XC10 4K Digital Camcorder is scheduled to be available in June 2015 for an estimated retail price of $2,499.00 with SanDisk 64GB CFast™ 2.0 card and card reader."
A 64 GB card is not going to allow someone to shoot very much 4K video at 305 Mb/s. You will realistically need 256 MB to 512 MB worth of CFast memory to make it worth your time to leave the house to go on a shoot. Not sure what your point is here.

that1guyy

• EOS M5
Give it an APS-C or full frame sensor and an EF mount and I'll buy it.

RobD

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
The Canon "see impossible" campaign was a joke, and this is the punch line. Leading photographers and videographers alike are leaving Canon en mass, and when the guys at the top of their profession jump ship, you know others will follow. The 5D IV had better be some kind of miracle or the exodus will be brutal.

Bennymiata

• EOS 5D Mark IV
The Canon "see impossible" campaign was a joke, and this is the punch line. Leading photographers and videographers alike are leaving Canon en mass, and when the guys at the top of their profession jump ship, you know others will follow. The 5D IV had better be some kind of miracle or the exodus will be brutal.

I doubt it.
You couldn't prise Canons away from most pros.

This new camera would certainly be useful to my event work where I often jump between video and stills.

There's not much mention of the autofocus system. I'm interested to see tests of it and the performance of the camera.
Having  a fixed lens is no problem to me, as long as the quality is good, and the zoom is fine for my needs.

Diltiazem

• EOS Rebel T7i
  • Curiosity didn't kill me, yet.

A 64 GB card is not going to allow someone to shoot very much 4K video at 305 Mb/s. You will realistically need 256 MB to 512 MB worth of CFast memory to make it worth your time to leave the house to go on a shoot. Not sure what your point is here.
There is a difference between " making this XC10 camcorder come in at $3500 before you can go out an start shooting video." and " You will realistically need 256 MB to 512 MB worth of CFast memory to make it worth your time to leave the house to go on a shoot". My point lies in that difference. I agree with you what you said second time though. But wouldn't that be true for any video camera if you want to shoot 4K and record it in a CFast 2.0?

Tugela

• EOS 5DS R

I doubt it.
You couldn't prise Canons away from most pros.

This new camera would certainly be useful to my event work where I often jump between video and stills.

There's not much mention of the autofocus system. I'm interested to see tests of it and the performance of the camera.
Having  a fixed lens is no problem to me, as long as the quality is good, and the zoom is fine for my needs.

Most pros won't be using an XC10 though.

If event photographers insist on using FF cameras like the 5D now, there is ZERO chance that they are suddenly going to jump ship to a relatively low pixel count 1 inch sensor camera, unless they have been full of BS all this time about why they use 5D3s for events.

So, I'm thinking they won't be using the XC10 for that. And for video there are other options that cost less and have less demanding storage requirements.

canon rumors FORUM

ukmdb

• PowerShot SX60 HS
I would have jumped in for a couple of these bodies until I seen the Cfast 2.0 with no other external recording option. 64GB card will only give 25mins at 4k which means I would need at least 2 x 256GB cfast cards per body.
and at £700 a pop I will end up spending more on cards per body than the price of the body itself.

Does anyone know of a dummy Cfast 2.0 adapter > SSD ?

scyrene

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • My Flickr feed
Leading photographers and videographers alike are leaving Canon en mass [sic]

[Citation needed]
Current equipment: 5Ds, 5D mark III, 50D, 24-105L, MP-E, 100L macro, 500L IS II; 1.4xIII + 2x III extenders; 600EX-RT.
Former equipment includes: 300D; EOS-M, EF-M 18-55, Samyang 14mm f/2.8, EF 35 f/2 IS, 70-200L f/4 non-IS and f/2.8L IS II, 85L II, Sigma 180 macro, 200L 2.8, 400L 5.6

canon rumors FORUM