April 20, 2018, 10:42:35 PM

Author Topic: Announcement: Canon XC10, A Breakthrough Compact 4K Video and Stills Camcorder  (Read 34240 times)

gsealy

• EOS 6D Mark II
I would like to hear people's thoughts on the video sample. 
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbTd5DbSk_g

I ran this at 4K with a high speed connection.  Yikes! It is awful.  Perhaps it is just my browser or connection or whatever.  But there are sure a bunch of video issues, and moire everywhere.

canon rumors FORUM

bsbeamer

• EOS 80D
Does anyone know of a dummy Cfast 2.0 adapter > SSD ?

Sounds like the old P2 media card hack days when HD was a new(er) thing!  Addonics would probably be the only company that would make something like that, but have a feeling there is no market for it considering most people in that situation will just take an HDMI out and record directly to an external SSD.  Who knows if this camera will actually do that in 4K or not...

mackguyver

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Master of Pain
    • My Personal Work
I would have jumped in for a couple of these bodies until I seen the Cfast 2.0 with no other external recording option. 64GB card will only give 25mins at 4k which means I would need at least 2 x 256GB cfast cards per body.
and at £700 a pop I will end up spending more on cards per body than the price of the body itself.

Does anyone know of a dummy Cfast 2.0 adapter > SSD ?
I haven't seen any SSDs as small as a CF / CFast card, but the camera has HDMI out...
CPS Score: 111 points, those 0 and 1 point items really add up

Tinky

• EOS 5D Mark IV
Not a C100 beater.

For a few reasons.  Ergonomics.  Audio interfaces.  Number of built in ND stages (in video you can't just juggle the shutter)  Interchangable lenses.  Sensor size.  Depth of field control. and many more.

Oh it has 4K.  That will be really handy in 5 years.  If you are pitching this as an industrial level camera (as opposed to feature film level camera) then you have to look at what folk there are using.

Broadcast has only just caught up with HD...  there's plenty of life in 1080 cameras yet. 

The killer thing for me, is the lens.  Too slow.   You need a constant aperture, or at the very least a lens that goes no darker than f2.8.  Again, in video you cannot just juggle the shutter.  f-drop is bad news for shot matching.  Not insurmountable, but I fear the f5.6 is.

I could have just about forgiven canon if they had implemented a servo zoom and maybe a lanc port.  The one thing where ENG cameras still have the upper hand if servo zoom and off camera zoom control..

2x Panasonic G7, Metabones .64 xl. EOS 3, 300X, 7D, 60D, 400D, 20D, 10D, M1, Arsat 80mm TS, Samyangs f1.4 35, 50 & 85, f2.0 20mm, ef-m 22 f2.0, 100 2.0, 70-200 2.8L, Sigma 18-50 2.8, 70mm f2.8, Tokina 11-16 2.8, 400 5.6, OSMO, P3-4K, and lots and lots of grip, lights, sound gear.

dlee13

• EOS Rebel T7i
    • My Website
Everyone was wondering why the 5Ds didn't do 4k, well this is the reason why!
6D - Canon EF 35mm f2 IS - Sigma 85mm f1.4 EX DG HSM - Canon 100mm f2.8L IS - Canon 17-40mm f4L

moreorless

• EOS 5DS R
Not a C100 beater.

For a few reasons.  Ergonomics.  Audio interfaces.  Number of built in ND stages (in video you can't just juggle the shutter)  Interchangable lenses.  Sensor size.  Depth of field control. and many more.

Oh it has 4K.  That will be really handy in 5 years.  If you are pitching this as an industrial level camera (as opposed to feature film level camera) then you have to look at what folk there are using.

Broadcast has only just caught up with HD...  there's plenty of life in 1080 cameras yet. 

The killer thing for me, is the lens.  Too slow.   You need a constant aperture, or at the very least a lens that goes no darker than f2.8.  Again, in video you cannot just juggle the shutter.  f-drop is bad news for shot matching.  Not insurmountable, but I fear the f5.6 is.

I could have just about forgiven canon if they had implemented a servo zoom and maybe a lanc port.  The one thing where ENG cameras still have the upper hand if servo zoom and off camera zoom control..

I would guess Canon probably thinks those who need 4K in a "serious" camera will likely be able to pay the extra for the new C300. I'm guessing your talking about producers of Film/TV content where viewing over a number of years is going to be an issue.

Something like the XC10 to me seems like 4K could have more appeal, using screen grabs for media work of events, maybe shooting 4K for wedding videos or perhaps some secondary use for the kind of above broadcast work where the small size will be needed for certain shots(maybe via drone).

Tinky

• EOS 5D Mark IV
Not a C100 beater.

I would guess Canon probably thinks those who need 4K in a "serious" camera will likely be able to pay the extra for the new C300. I'm guessing your talking about producers of Film/TV content where viewing over a number of years is going to be an issue.

Something like the XC10 to me seems like 4K could have more appeal, using screen grabs for media work of events, maybe shooting 4K for wedding videos or perhaps some secondary use for the kind of above broadcast work where the small size will be needed for certain shots(maybe via drone).

Can't argue with either supposition.

My 5 years bit was a bit sarcastic...  I shoot for today, but then I don't do much drama, more current affairs, my cameras only need to work with current tech, so as every camera spend is less pension, less holiday time, less mobey for bills, less money in my pocket day to day, I buy what I need, when I need it.

Even if I needed 4k the xc-10 isn't the camera to deliver it for me.

And then I'd need a newer faster RAID, a new software license and probably a new mac..   if and when I need I will.  I don't just yet.
2x Panasonic G7, Metabones .64 xl. EOS 3, 300X, 7D, 60D, 400D, 20D, 10D, M1, Arsat 80mm TS, Samyangs f1.4 35, 50 & 85, f2.0 20mm, ef-m 22 f2.0, 100 2.0, 70-200 2.8L, Sigma 18-50 2.8, 70mm f2.8, Tokina 11-16 2.8, 400 5.6, OSMO, P3-4K, and lots and lots of grip, lights, sound gear.

canon rumors FORUM

Bennymiata

• EOS 5D Mark IV
Thinking about this camera and its intended market, I reckon that a lot of families will buy it instead of a better DSLR to be used for what family cameras are used for - photos and videos of the family where ultimate quality is not so important, but versatility and ease of use are paramount.
One big attraction is that it is reasonably future-proof due to the videos being in 4K.
I can also see event photographers using it for customers that just want stills and video for the web.

I think it will sell OK and it will spawn a number of clones from other makers.
Soon the price will come down to $2k or so which puts it into the price point for better off families.

Tinky

• EOS 5D Mark IV
panasonic have a camera that can do much the same things for half the price.  not the gh4, but a camcorder based design.  faster lens too.  And a servo zoom.   

Tugela

• EOS 5DS R
Thinking about this camera and its intended market, I reckon that a lot of families will buy it instead of a better DSLR to be used for what family cameras are used for - photos and videos of the family where ultimate quality is not so important, but versatility and ease of use are paramount.
One big attraction is that it is reasonably future-proof due to the videos being in 4K.
I can also see event photographers using it for customers that just want stills and video for the web.

I think it will sell OK and it will spawn a number of clones from other makers.
Soon the price will come down to $2k or so which puts it into the price point for better off families.

Not for 2.5K they won't. They will instead buy one of a fair number of hybrid cameras on the market that are capable of shooting both high quality video and high quality stills. The XC10 can shoot (probably) good video, but the stills will be mediocre.

And all of those hybrids (basically most new mid to high level consumer cameras) are considerably cheaper.

Tugela

• EOS 5DS R
panasonic have a camera that can do much the same things for half the price.  not the gh4, but a camcorder based design.  faster lens too.  And a servo zoom.

Most camcorders will take stills as well, there is nothing new about that concept. The only problem with them is that the stills they take do not compete well with those from proper cameras since they are basically frames taken from the raw video stream.

Tinky

• EOS 5D Mark IV
I haven't seen the stills quality from the xc10.

Its a video orientated camera, which appears to lack phase detect af.  I think if still quality is of paramount concern you'll already have and already be shooting with something more stills orientated.

This seems targeted at aspiring amateurs or run and gun news gatherers on a budget.   Where fast enough, portable enough, convenient enough is as important as good enough (for web, for newsprint)

canon rumors FORUM

Tugela

• EOS 5DS R
The Sony RX10 mark II was announced today. That will be the new king in this form factor, not the XC10. Sorry Canon. Maybe better luck next time, when perhaps you will have a clue.

Tinky

• EOS 5D Mark IV
correct. affordable memory. constant f2.8 zoom lens.

add a tascam or beachtek and you are away.

canon rumors FORUM